Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Loving 3.0
    Favorites is a god send. 
    Loving some of the Artist presets, The Chris buck ones are great. Have copied the amp blocks to my favourites as I'm crap at dialing in my own amps.
    The Boss acoustic simulator is useful, but I think it could be done better. Rather than copying an ok'ish pedal why not do a proper one.
    Wish line 6 would bring out their own IRs. The speaker Sims are definatly a weakness.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    coumenamestom said:

This is great.  Very easy download.

First thing I looked for is a Pog type of effect, but I'm not sure that is achievable, i.e. octave up, octave down and dry, to get those organ effects.  Anybody had any luck?
    Haven't tried, but sure you could with 2 poly capos on a split path.  The pics effects seem pretty DSP hungry though so you mightn't get much more in the patch
    You can't on the Stomp due to DSP limit's, it's just one poly at a time.

This is great.  Very easy download.

First thing I looked for is a Pog type of effect, but I'm not sure that is achievable, i.e. octave up, octave down and dry, to get those organ effects.  Anybody had any luck?
    Try the Dual Pitch. Interval 1 +12, Interval 2 -12, and mix at 50%

Works for me, but only playing triad chords really. Anything else sends the tracking a bit mental

I think that's the old mono one?  I've tried it before, it's no Pog replacement.  Works pretty well using the low Poly and high single pitch.

No matter, wasn't expecting this and it's a really good update so if I need a pog again I'll get one.  Was putting it off thinking when the pitch stuff lands I wouldn't need one.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited November 2020
    Loving 3.0
    Favorites is a god send. 
    Loving some of the Artist presets, The Chris buck ones are great. Have copied the amp blocks to my favourites as I'm crap at dialing in my own amps.
    The Boss acoustic simulator is useful, but I think it could be done better. Rather than copying an ok'ish pedal why not do a proper one.
    Wish line 6 would bring out their own IRs. The speaker Sims are definatly a weakness.

There are some line 6 IRS on the site download section.  Today I tried the acoustic simulator in to an acoustic IR, it was very good indeed, I doubt you could make an electric more convincing.

IMO the stock cabs are great, particularly the dual mic ones, they just need a bit of tinkering with.  I dabble with IRs on the Helix, but most of the time use the stock cabs.  They are actually IR based AFAIK
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Really easy to update the Stomp. Impressed. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 643
    And again, our friends from across the pond are the only ones who actually read the Release Notes and install instructions. Cheers, all!
    Thanks to everyone at Line6 for a great update. I've updated my HX Effects which was very straightforward and will be updating my Stomp over the weekend. The Poly Sustain is a great addition! Looking forward to trying the rest as well as making use of the favourites and customisable defaults. Thanks again @Digital_Igloo and Line6 team.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    My wah/exp pedal broke a while back but not had a chance to get it back to GuitarGuitar although Line6 support checked the serial and said it was possible to replace it as it was a known fault.

I have had 3 amazing years out of it and this new update looks incredible! Need to get it out tomorrow and get updated - inspiration to play my guitar again after no rehearsal or gigs for the last 7 months!
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    So, hit me with knowledge:

One the artist Preset, theres a volume block at the end of chain. It changes the sound, kinda making it " balanced ". Example being the Djenta one. 
  • onlyatomonlyatom Frets: 45
    edited November 2020
    This update for the Stomp has been fantastic so far. I was so excited for 8 slots, but now I have them - I'm struggling to fill them all

The poly stuff is amazing, just a shame it uses so much DSP on the Stomp
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4266
    And again, our friends from across the pond are the only ones who actually read the Release Notes and install instructions. Cheers, all!
    Read instructions ! Us; with our reputations ? Passes the happy pills ;)
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3798
    edited November 2020

The upload (Helix floor) was straight forward and painless.  I like the Princeton (US Princess in Helix nomenclature), and I’ll most likely be using this in some of my live patches, but the poly stuff is useless for me.  It’s massively DSP hungry and doesn’t sound great to my knackered old ears.  The AC2 acoustic sim isn’t great either (I have some IRs for this which are way more useable).

At the end of the day – I didn’t ask for this, it didn’t cost me anything and I’ve gained a nice amp sim that I wasn’t expecting so, overall, I’m happy.  Thanks Line 6.

• @Jetfire ; good spot. In bulbs signal path he's using a dual cab then the volume block is in mono - so he's ending up summing what would be a stereo to mono I think?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Musicwolf said:

The upload (Helix floor) was straight forward and painless.  I like the Princeton (US Princess in Helix nomenclature), and I’ll most likely be using this in some of my live patches, but the poly stuff is useless for me.  It’s massively DSP hungry and doesn’t sound great to my knackered old ears.  The AC2 acoustic sim isn’t great either (I have some IRs for this which are way more useable).

At the end of the day – I didn’t ask for this, it didn’t cost me anything and I’ve gained a nice amp sim that I wasn’t expecting so, overall, I’m happy.  Thanks Line 6.

Try the ac2 sim into an acoustic IR, to my ears definitely better than just the AC or just the IR. 

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    JohnCordy said:
    @Jetfire ; good spot. In bulbs signal path he's using a dual cab then the volume block is in mono - so he's ending up summing what would be a stereo to mono I think?

I do the same, it means you get a blend of the two cabs on output, rather than one left and the other right. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3798
    John_A said:
    Musicwolf said:

Try the ac2 sim into an acoustic IR, to my ears definitely better than just the AC or just the IR. 

I tried this, I preferred the IR on its own.  I've owned a Boss AC3 for many years (and I've run an AC3 sim in my Kemper in the past).  This AC2 sim sounds very similar to an actual AC3.  Usable in a live setting but I think that there are better options available.

• This spillover thing..

It’s a global setting, yes?

What happens to your patches that use path a & b, does it delete anything you have on path b? Does anything you previously have on path b re-appear when you turn spillover off again?

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    I don't think it deletes it, just hides it. When you revert, it puts it back as was
  • I had a brief play with the 12 string emulator last night in Native. I had to turn the blend up a bit but could get a good Hard Day's Night solo / Crossroads Motel intro sound. I'm not sure whether it'll work live for me but it opens up a lot of possibilities for cover material if it does.

The inclusion of the tuner in Native is most welcome. I had a look at the artist patches and I like a few straight off.. just needs a bit of play time. Favourites is also a game changer for me. 

A proper early Christmas present from Line6.. thanks! 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3454
    I'm wondering,  why is polyphonic pitch shifting such a challenge?

EHX pitchfork, Digitech drop / whammy and TC Brainwaves all work well as outboard units. But Helix, Amplifire, Boss GT/MS3 all seem to struggle with it.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    NelsonP said:
    I'm wondering,  why is polyphonic pitch shifting such a challenge?

EHX pitchfork, Digitech drop / whammy and TC Brainwaves all work well as outboard units. But Helix, Amplifire, Boss GT/MS3 all seem to struggle with it.
    It's difficult to write a program that can very quickly establish all the notes being played and pitch shift them.

And having done it, that program is the intellectual property of the company that did it. So the next company needs to find another way of doing it. and so on. Or, pay for a license to use an existing method.

Line 6 decided to make their own, and it took a couple of years or R&D to do it.

For some perspective, Helix seems to be able to do it using about 1/3 of one processor.

Something like the Pitchfork only needs to do that one job and nothing else.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 643
    It is a great update but does highlight the differences between the different products in the Helix family more so than with previous updates. I own both a Stomp and HX FX and although the latest firmware has improved both of them, it's the first time I've had a little bit of DSP envy.....