Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    And installed.. only had a very brief play but quite liking the new Grammatico
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    aha there it is. Must be me being a plank :) 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2348
    Nice unexpected additions, and bass models! 
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    edited April 2023
    I thought I'd dig the Dumble amp but I can't get a good sound out of it.
    Totally my fault cause there's too much going on and I always have a hard time with something that goes past the the two band EQ and a volume...
    I tried @JohnCordy's ; preset and there's one sound I like there but it won't take the place of the Plexi Brit has my live amp.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24786
    I'm looking forward to trying the Tonehammer bass amp.

I've wanted to try a real one for a while, but none of the shops near me have one.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2224
    edited April 2023
    Jota said:
    I thought I'd dig the Dumble amp but I can't get a good sound out of it...

I like the basic default clean sound when just bringing up the (Dumble) Grammatico GSG Amp+Cab on it's own, after dialling back the Drive to about 3 and raising the Channel volume to suit. But I expect that depends on the output of your guitar pickups

Setting the Mid switch to 'On' adds some nice body.
    Setting the Bright setting on 1 adds some nice sparkle.

Up until now the US Princess was my goto for clean sounds (after dialling back the drive) but I'm really liking the Grammatico GSG for clean sounds.

I've yet to get a decent sound when turning on the OD switch. Reminds me of my HRD IV

It's not a competition.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3715
    I've just installed and, first impressions, I really like the Grammatico GSG amp.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3069
    Oooh, looking forward to trying the Grammatico and the Yamaha Rotary.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Jota said:
    I thought I'd dig the Dumble amp but I can't get a good sound out of it...

I like the basic default clean sound when just bringing up the (Dumble) Grammatico GSG Amp+Cab on it's own, after dialling back the Drive to about 3 and raising the Channel volume to suit. But I expect that depends on the output of your guitar pickups

Setting the Mid switch to 'On' adds some nice body.
    Setting the Bright setting on 1 adds some nice sparkle.

Up until now the US Princess was my goto for clean sounds (after dialling back the drive) but I'm really liking the Grammatico GSG for clean sounds.

I've yet to get a decent sound when turning on the OD switch. Reminds me of my HRD IV

I paired it with the new dual H30 cab, turned jazz/rock to jazz and upped the OD drive a smidge to compensate. Sounds pretty good to me with a HSS Strat. I shall play more over the weekend. Looking forward to seeing if the new Yamaha rotary is any better than existing ones. 
    OK, I just tried it again but with a FRFR cab instead of my IEM. I can get a nice lead tone but the cleans lack spank and sparkle. I'll try messing with it a bit more tomorrow. 
    Jota said:
    OK, I just tried it again but with a FRFR cab instead of my IEM. I can get a nice lead tone but the cleans lack spank and sparkle. I'll try messing with it a bit more tomorrow. 

...and I can make it sound good but it's definitely not my thing.
    The real surprise was the Elmsley. Paired with a alnico Blue IR it's just an amazing Vox-meets-Tweed amp that loves drive pedals!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4739

What’s the new rotary like?

I’m not a massive fan of the existing ones, but always on the look out for a decent one without spending Pulse/Lex/Vent money
  • NickBNickB Frets: 269
    Jota said:
    Jota said:

...and I can make it sound good but it's definitely not my thing.
    The real surprise was the Elmsley. Paired with a alnico Blue IR it's just an amazing Vox-meets-Tweed amp that loves drive pedals!
    The Elmsley into my Fryette Powerstation and a 1x12 cab is a revelation. The Grammatico GSG 100. Is a tricky beast to dial in but sounds awesome for solos. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1957
    The Elmsley is absolutely outstanding. Maybe my favourite amp model ever I've played. Really amazing and so easy to dial in, but versatile too. NFB parameter is fun to play with.

Bravo Line 6, another great (free) upgrade. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2224
    edited April 2023
    I really like the new 'Open Cast' cab, especially after I changed the default Mic to an SM57. All my personal presets sound better with that cab. I think that's going to be my 'go to cab' going forwards.

I Googled the EVM12L used for that cab. Blimey, the real speaker is expensive, but seems to be highly regarded.

It's not a competition.
  • Oh I'll have to update mine this weekend...not used it really even since I done the previous 3.5 update folks raves about..maybe I'll find out what I've been missing.  My bands singer though was impressed with the sound of the Helix a few months ago when I used it for a couple of rehearsals...just me being so old school I never make the transition to live playing beyond the occasional outing. Just prefer amp n pedals...but my Helix is a keeper for home n studio use.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1016
    I really like the new 'Open Cast' cab, especially after I changed the default Mic to an SM57. All my personal presets sound better with that cab. I think that's going to be my 'go to cab' going forwards.

I Googled the EVM12L used for that cab. Blimey, the real speaker is expensive, but seems to be highly regarded.

Thanks @stratman3142 I’ll give that Open Cast cab + SM57 mic a try & see how it affects some of my existing presets.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1710
    Couple of questions..

1) for those using frfr speakers with their helix, do you prefer to max out the volume from the Helix and adjust frfr amp volume, or have the frfr amp volume turned up and therefore have a lower output from the helix?

2) rack users, anyone with a mission expression pedal into the controller tried to use a mono jack to  mono jack splitter cable to enable use of expression 1 and 1 inputs? 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3715

1) for those using frfr speakers with their helix, do you prefer to max out the volume from the Helix and adjust frfr amp volume, or have the frfr amp volume turned up and therefore have a lower output from the helix?

I've bypassed the volume control on my Helix by assigninging it to 'Digital' (I am not using the digital out).  Global Settings > Ins / Outs > Volume Knob Controls = Digital.  It saves me from getting caught out whereby I don't spot that the volume control has shifted in transit, since the mark on the dial isn't very clear.

I'm direct to PA with my monitor being fed from an aux bus on the desk so I am, in effect, adjusting the FRFR amp volume.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1710
    Musicwolf said:

I've bypassed the volume control on my Helix by assigninging it to 'Digital' (I am not using the digital out).  Global Settings > Ins / Outs > Volume Knob Controls = Digital.  It saves me from getting caught out whereby I don't spot that the volume control has shifted in transit, since the mark on the dial isn't very clear.

I'm direct to PA with my monitor being fed from an aux bus on the desk so I am, in effect, adjusting the FRFR amp volume.

I have also changed that setting, to 1/4 inch only, which is how I feed my FRFR. I feed the PA with an XLR.

But I still wonder which volume control is "best" to use..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?