Storm's a-comin'

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonic said:
    I'm OK. My fence is held up by my next door neighbour's pear tree.
    My pear tree is holding up the fence.
    Are we neighbours?
    Pop round for a drink.

Although from what I recall of the details of your house purchase, we may be approx 100 miles apart. Call it slightly distant neighbours.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No trains ,no power since 0700 , time to dig out acoustic as work seems a no go and I know the B's will try to dock me a days leave
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    VimFuego said:
    well, no damage here. Was a bit worrying, listening to the news, we're bordered by trees, one of which came down last year in conditions of perfect summer, so a blow is always a concern.
    Or fuel for the whole of winter ;)

Total non-event here on top of the Chilterns, yet only a few miles away in Watford somebody was crushed to death by a falling tree. Most odd.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited October 2013
    I genuinely hope nothing serious happens to anyone,  but there is a rather delicious irony about the turn around...........from "pah nothings happened" scoffers from yesterday  - (when if you'd actually bothered to read the forecasts, they said all along,  "from about 4 am Monday morning in the south west, spreading east" )   to the  "OH MY GOD"  now     

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Jalapeno said:
     only a few miles away in Watford somebody was crushed to death by a falling tree. Most odd.
    shit always happens in Watford. It's a dump
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    Jalapeno said:
    VimFuego said:
    well, no damage here. Was a bit worrying, listening to the news, we're bordered by trees, one of which came down last year in conditions of perfect summer, so a blow is always a concern.
    Or fuel for the whole of winter ;)

Total non-event here on top of the Chilterns, yet only a few miles away in Watford somebody was crushed to death by a falling tree. Most odd.

one of the trees is right over our oil tank, been meaning to get it cut down, but the church next door got a bit arsey, and we didn't. Gonna get someone round before it crushes that.

Just spoke to my mum, in Bovvy, and she's lost some of her roof (only ridge tiles fortunately) and looks like there's trees down on boxmoor common. Down here the media are really disappointed that all they can report was an empty train hit a fallen branch and that no damage was done.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    My normal commute is through country lanes and takes 30 mins (21 miles). Today it tool 1 hour 45.
    I cleared a number of big branches but the whole tree thing defeats me. I got to the next village and all routes out were blocked. Eventually some farmers armed with chainsaws and Forklifts began to clear the way. A double decker with 3 passengers was lifted off the road clean across a ditch and deposited on it's side in a field. Driver hurt passengers shaken, road blocked by emergency services. I had my phone camera video my journey so that's interesting until the mem card filled up.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited October 2013
    Jalapeno said:
    Total non-event here on top of the Chilterns
    Oh, I don't know - not sure where you are in the Chilterns but I'm in Amersham and was woken up by the wind at 6-ish this morning.

No damage here, although my dad was woken by it. Takes quite a bit to wake him (he slept through the 1987 storm...)
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12522
    edited October 2013
    Weird here in Surrey. In the back garden all that happened was a few pots got blown around and the potato tub ended up in the hedge. But I've just got back from walking the dog round the country park 10 minutes walk away and it looks like a typhoon has hit. Several really big trees are down and the place is littered with hundreds of broken branches. Some of them are massive too.
    Bucket said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Total non-event here on top of the Chilterns
    Oh, I don't know - not sure where you are in the Chilterns but I'm in Amersham and was woken up by the wind at 6-ish this morning.

No damage here, although my dad was woken by it. Takes quite a bit to wake him (he slept through the 1987 storm...)
    OK it was windy, but "peaking towards 10 am" just didn't happen.  It  was blowing a hooley all yesterday as well.  This was NOTHING like the 1987 storm.

Feedback
  • I slept though the 1987 storm. Went to work on my motorbike and noticed bits of tree on the road. Didn't know till I got there and half the others hadn't turned up that there had been a big storm.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I was laying on a beach in Bali during the '87 storm..

so I slept through it too...

I cleared up last night's storm damage this morning

by standing up the broom that got knocked over in the garden

play every note as if it were your first
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I slept through it whilst in the English Channel. Two good doses of Night-Nurse, wedged a lifejacket under one side of the mattress to stop me from falling out the bunk, and off I went till the morning.

pretty sure we escaped the '87 storm down in the south-west

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    I remember the elation when the power came back on after a fortnight of no telly.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    My memory of the 87 storm is what used to be the greenhouse pinwheeling down the fields behind the house. 
    My memory of the 87 storm is what used to be the greenhouse pinwheeling down the fields behind the house. 
    Mine was coming up the M1 watching lorries flip over in front of me :-O

Feedback
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    edited October 2013
    Night of the oct 87 storm we were driving back up the M11 after watching a mates band in that London. I was half pisse asleep in the back seat but we all noticed lots of big flashes in the distance and thought it lightning although we couldn't see the streaks in the sky. Turns out it was rail overhead power and National grid lines hitting the ground!

Woke in the morning and my tv ariel was bent out of shape.
    thunder and hail storms now...................