The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Jaycee said:
    Genius! Exactly that. the cylinder sits inside a groove in one of the clamps and that groove holds it in place when you screw in the bolt.

(Finally, Ms Goldtop will see that the hours I have spent wibbling away on forums pays off...)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 328
    goldtop said:
    Jaycee said:
    Genius! Exactly that. the cylinder sits inside a groove in one of the clamps and that groove holds it in place when you screw in the bolt.

(Finally, Ms Goldtop will see that the hours I have spent wibbling away on forums pays off...)

The saddle on one of my previous bikes had a similar setup, so I had an image in mind just needed to put it into words  :)

• Got this as a gift at work today from the guy who ghost wrote G's 3 books and co-founded the GTCC! A small gesture, but nice prezzie for simply doing my job D

May be an image of bottle and text that says GERAINT HOMAS CYCLING CLUB

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Anyone want a free Charge Spoon saddle? Just isn't working for me - two rides of under 3 hours total, so not worn and not even rained-upon. :) Let me know if you'd like it.

Annoyingly the best fit for my backside was the one on the 'sit up and beg' style bike I rented from a hotel in Copenhagen. Did an 8 hour day with about 6 hours cycling on that and didn't feel any pain (just fatigue from exertion). If anyone can suggest a similar saddle to the one shown below, please let me know.

(Actually, the whole bike was great - just that weird back-pedal-to-brake thing that I couldn't get used to.)
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3890
    Did my first outside ride, other than a few commutes, in ages yesterday. Just shy of 50k. Now aching in some new places! Whilst regular turbo sessions have kept me fit they don’t seem to exercise the back muscles
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    edited April 2022
    @goldtop ; try a Brooks B17. Needs breaking in, mind, and it isn't cheap but I think you'd like it . @drofluf ; stick the headphones on using the turbo mate, listen to your favourite tunes  
    @Mellish that's what I do but the turbo doesn’t replicate the climbing especially when out of the saddle or the subtle movements to keep the bike upright. But I second your Brooks recommendation, got them on all my bikes. 
    @drofluf ; nothing will replace road-riding, and a turbo isn't supposed to. It's uses include pre ride warmup (important if each road from home starts with a climb). But you'll know that. Another side to the turbo is that you can indulge in inner awareness, which you can also do on the road of course but on a turbo you can close your eyes. The turbo can't possibly give you what the road offers but...well, it's useful nonetheless :) 
    @Mellish absolutely, wouldn’t be without it. Essential for my winter fitness as I’ve come to the conclusion I’m a fair weather cyclist and great for a quick workout between meetings when I work from home. 
    Mellish said:
    @goldtop ; try a Brooks B17. Needs breaking in, mind, and it isn't cheap but I think you'd like it
    Will do. :)

So... as mentioned above, this very-low-miles Charge Spoon saddle (see below) is available for free. If no-one wants it here, I'll put it up for sale elsewhere.

goldtop said:
    Anyone want a free Charge Spoon saddle? Just isn't working for me - two rides of under 3 hours total, so not worn and not even rained-upon. :) Let me know if you'd like it.

Annoyingly the best fit for my backside was the one on the 'sit up and beg' style bike I rented from a hotel in Copenhagen. Did an 8 hour day with about 6 hours cycling on that and didn't feel any pain (just fatigue from exertion). If anyone can suggest a similar saddle to the one shown below, please let me know.

(Actually, the whole bike was great - just that weird back-pedal-to-brake thing that I couldn't get used to.)

Reminds me of the Madison G300 saddle, I had a similar one years ago on my mountain bike, comfiest one I have aver had.
    Thanks @Jaycee - The Brooks B17 seems to be sprung but with little padding, whereas that Madison seems to be well-padded (which my backside is not!)

• m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    Generally the less padding a saddle has, the less it chaffs.
    However the less padding, the better it has to fit your backside.

I've never gotten on with Charge Spoon's either.

Saddles are very much a personal thing, and it also varies depending on riding position. I used to love Selle Italia Flites, but only on more stretched riding positions. On more upright positions, they weren't as comfy.
    They really are a try it and see thing.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    For saddles the best thing I did was get my sit bones measured and get the suggested width Specialized BG saddle. I've had the same one for at least 10 years now, maybe longer. You can do it yourself with a bit of memory foam, just sit on it on a hard surface and measure the distance between the two divots left in the foam. 
    If you've ever used a Brooks B17, you won't need me to tell you why they're popular. They mould themselves to *your* shape, which is unique to you. It's why you should never buy a secondhand Brooks, too, because it's been "broken in" by someone else :) 
    On one hand, I understand the R&D that goes into spendy saddles. On the other hand, I'm confuddled why the saddle on a generic lowest-possible-cost hotel bike would suit me so well! I must have a very odd arse! :anguished: 

I'll try the Madison first and post an update. Interesting point on a used Brookes being a bad idea - I'll bear it in mind if I decide to try one.

(In other news, the free Charge Spoon is now spoken for.) 

Thanks all.
    Something else worth considering is how you dress your lower half before going cycling. Jeans should be avoided. Cycle shorts/full-length lycra ones have padded inserts that can greatly aid saddle comfort :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ^ As it happens, I've got some lycra+padding ones that I wore with the Spoon saddle on Friday, whereas the all-day cycling on hotel bikes was done wearing ... regular trousers! (shrug) I'm built wrong!
    Mellish said:
    If you've ever used a Brooks B17, you won't need me to tell you why they're popular. They mould themselves to *your* shape, which is unique to you. It's why you should never buy a secondhand Brooks, too, because it's been "broken in" by someone else :) 
    I tend to disagree on secondhand Brooks; I’ve got a couple and they took no longer to break in than new ones. But I may have been lucky.