The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    euan said:
    TTBZ said
    What's the point of the wee skinny seats? Just weight? 

Obviously they look cooler  :)
    They're comfier if you get the right one for you, and they don't chafe. You're meant to perch on your sit bones rather than lounge on it like a sofa!

The allowing more movement/less chafing makes sense. Although if they had better padding you wouldn't need padded shorts.
    Padding in shorts is providing a completely different function to padding on a saddle. 

You definitely don’t want you saddle acting like a chamois 

Ah, OK, didn't know that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited April 2022
    The padded shorts also don't have annoying chafey seams like normal boxers which become an issue on longer rides.

Think I'm going to get back into road bikes this summer, shouldn't have sold my old CAAD8! Probably going for a Decathlon Triban 120 or a Pinnacle Laterite 1, can't decide which would be better. Leaning toward the latter as it's a bit lighter and cheaper, other specs seem pretty much the same.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Yesterday I had the pleasure of teaching a grandson to ride without stabilisers, he really took to it. Car boot today and I picked up a slightly larger and more suitable framed bike, so tomorrow we’re off to Tunstall forest to spot the UFO and ride the trails to gain confidence.
    Another cyclist in the making.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    Lights on on bikes in full daylight? On a bright, sunny day they'd struggle to make a rider more noticeable. But I've never used lights on a bicycle because I've never cycled when it was necessary, so I'm on stoney ground really. It's just that I can't see them making much difference (if any) unless lighting has greatly improved since the 60s-80s :) 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    I think it's because they have classed E-Bikes as motorized vehicles and here all motorized vehicles must have lights on at all times.

@Teetonetal ; thanks for explaining :+1:
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I'm looking for some cycling gloves, but I need a padded palm. I saw some have gel in them, others what looks like thick rubber. Any advice, chaps?

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3896
    I'm looking for some cycling gloves, but I need a padded palm. I saw some have gel in them, others what looks like thick rubber. Any advice, chaps?
    Gloves or mittens? Like saddles gloves are a personal thing. My favourites were the Specialized BG abut I can’t get them any more. I’ve also got a pair of Trek/Bontrager ones that I like. Also the Decathlon ones, but not their cheapest. 

Suppose what I’m saying is get down to your LBS and try some out; be prepared to pay a bit for them, the cheap ones don’t last and/or the padding isn’t up to much. 

edited April 2022
    @chillidoggy ;Mittens usually have padded palms to reduce road shock/protect the ulnar nerve. With summer round the corner, that would be *my* choice  
    Cheers, guys. I prefer the gloves without the fingertips. I’m assuming mittens have one bit for the fingers, if so I’m not sure they’re for me.

I saw some in Decathlon this morning for £14.99, they fitted OK and had what looked like rubber palm pads. Is that a reasonable price?

edited April 2022
    @chillidoggy ; no, mittens have individual fingers

EDIT: yep, not a bad price. 
    @chillidoggy ;When you pull a mitten on, the first two joints  of each finger are exposed, the remainder is in the mitten.

Often multi-coloured woven fabric on top with soft, padded leather palm. Hope this helps :) 
    edited April 2022
    Ah, OK. 

Mittens when I were a lad were different! And they were stitched onto elastic going through my coat so I didn't lose them.

• NikcNikc Frets: 629
    Planet-X is my go to for value for money clothing, gloves, lights etc... I ride a fair bit and have never had an issue with their kit - shoes size up quite small. 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 329
    Cheers, guys. I prefer the gloves without the fingertips. I’m assuming mittens have one bit for the fingers, if so I’m not sure they’re for me.

I saw some in Decathlon this morning for £14.99, they fitted OK and had what looked like rubber palm pads. Is that a reasonable price?

If they are the triban ones they should be ok.  I generally go through a pair every couple of years, so I don't pay silly money for them
    Nikc said:
    Planet-X is my go to for value for money clothing, gloves, lights etc... I ride a fair bit and have never had an issue with their kit - shoes size up quite small. 

Can't beat the helmets from Planet X, I have a few bibs and gloves from there and accessories 
    Finally got the road bike out after being on the gravel bike for the winter, I got 16mph avg over 30 miles on my second ride. I don't normally reach 16 but the lighter bike made a huge difference.

I used spd's on the gravel and it took a while for me to get used to the clipping in with the Sl's
    @JayGee ; - Hilly, partially hilly or largely flat :) 

1600 ft of elevation, one of my shorter coffee stops with a headwind for the last 10.

I usually avg 15 give or take, just got over a spell of illness and just turned 60, so pretty chuffed with that
    Impressive. Well done :+1: