The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited August 2022
    I tried fixed once and promptly flipped my wheel back round to the freewheel side fine on the flat and uphill but I didn't enjoy it down faster hills. The one thing I did like is it feels like the momentum of the back wheel turning helps you pedal uphill or something.

I enjoy SS on road bikes, I don't live in a particularly hilly area and I feel like gears make me lazy - we have either short sharp hills or long gradual hills that aren't very high, which you're better off powering up in a harder gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    drofluf said:
    Mellish said:
    @drofluf ; 49.71 miles is a decent "run". Any recovery drink when you got home?

We used to buy large tubs of powder (electrolyte etc) that we mixed with water  
    I’m “pretty sure” IPA is isotonic :lol: 
    Well it may be. Those days are behind me. It's a long time since I was on a bike :) 
    @TTBZ ; when using a freewheel there's push down and pull up points. There isn't that with fixed.

Spinning out on descents could mean too low a gear. Hard to be sure without seeing the descent :) 
  • New road bike day! Cinelli Pressure. 11 speed mechanical with hydro discs. It's a tad fast.

May be an image of bicycle and outdoors

May be an image of bicycle and outdoors

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2022
    @littlegreenman ; very nice mate.

21-22" frame? It's somewhere around there

EDIT:"No, as you were - sloping top tube. 
  • Mellish said:
    @littlegreenman ; very nice mate.

21-22" frame? It's somewhere around there

EDIT:"No, as you were - sloping top tube. 

It's a 53cm. 8.6Kg, so not exactly svelte, but way lighter than I've had before so I'm a pretty happy bunny...
    @littlegreenman ; ; ah, 20" or a little over.

Which Shimano groupset is that? Carbon frame obviously and aero too...and.that looks like cork bar tape. Very nice mate
    Enjoy it :) 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 329
    @littlegreenman ; lovely looking bike, I like the smiley on the fork. Simillar geometry to my Giant............ 
  • Mellish said:
    @littlegreenman ; ; ah, 20" or a little over.

Which Shimano groupset is that? Carbon frame obviously and aero too...and.that looks like cork bar tape. Very nice mate
    Enjoy it :) 
    Ultegra 8020 with FSA Gossamer Pro crankset. Bar tape is 3mm Fizik.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5071
    edited September 2022
    Not a bad 24 hours Down Under at the UCI World Champs, Rainbow Bands and Golds in the ITT for both of our Juniors! Zoe Backstedt and Joshua Tarling doing not too shabby...

May be an image of 1 person and text that says tini O

May be an image of 3 people and people standing

Great day for the Welsh it has to be said. They may have both been favourites but it's never a given on the day.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1962
    Big +1 for SS everyday on the roads and off.
    It isn't easy to win.

To take nothing away from those who do, a little bit of luck goes along with all that preparation, determination and fire.

If you manage to do it then, FWIW, I applaud you cos you deserve it. 

:) 
    I have been working on my cadance for the last three rides, it normally averages out at 76-78 but I wanted to get it higher to improve my fitness and avg speed.  It has been 80, 82, 86 between 1,400 - 1,600 ft of elevation and 30 - 40 miles.

edited September 2022
    Well I won this morning. Cycled from Aldershot to Pirbright to get my booster Jab and as it was a nice day came back the long way by heading north to Brookwood and following the Basingstoke Canal towpath home. Much longer but much nicer. The new 32c Spesh Roubaix Pro tubeless tyres rocked. Just dropped to low 50s pressure when I hit the rougher ground. They still dont feel too draggy on the road, although obviously not the fastest option. 
    Stopped at a pub now for toasties and coffee. Out for a beer this afternoon.

https://flic.kr/p/2nN89Lk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3896
    Jaycee said:
    I have been working on my cadance for the last three rides, it normally averages out at 76-78 but I wanted to get it higher to improve my fitness and avg speed.  It has been 80, 82, 86 between 1,400 - 1,600 ft of elevation and 30 - 40 miles.

As I understand it the equation isn’t that simple. There’s an article here that helps a little  https://www.bicycling.com/health-nutrition/a27454779/cycling-cadence-ideal/  But the message is that different people have their own most efficient cadence. So pedalling faster could be less efficient which means it may help you get fitter but probably won’t increase average speed over a longer term. 
    I tend to ride to heart rate rather than cadence. Works best for me.
    edited September 2022
    Ideal cadence depends on the rider, as pointed out by @drofluf.

Take Contador and Froome. Two Climbers but totally different cadence. Contador would be out of the saddle, turning a big gear, whereas Froome prefers to remain seated and spin. It's whatever works for you. 

But there's one thing to bear in mind, if you compete: don't train at one  speed. If you do, you'll only race at one speed.

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1778
    edited September 2022
    I'm new to the thread but hopefully will contribute regularly. 

My new e-bike - Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 625.

I love this thing! Plan is to cycle to work (8 miles each way) for health benefit and to save on petrol.

(edit - can't get my link to photo work :( )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    drofluf said:
    Jaycee said:

As I understand it the equation isn’t that simple. There’s an article here that helps a little  https://www.bicycling.com/health-nutrition/a27454779/cycling-cadence-ideal/  But the message is that different people have their own most efficient cadence. So pedalling faster could be less efficient which means it may help you get fitter but probably won’t increase average speed over a longer term. 

Brio said:
    I tend to ride to heart rate rather than cadence. Works best for me.

Mellish said:
    Ideal cadence depends on the rider, as pointed out by @drofluf.

Take Contador and Froome. Two Climbers but totally different cadence. Contador would be out of the saddle, turning a big gear, whereas Froome prefers to remain seated and spin. It's whatever works for you. 

But there's one thing to bear in mind, if you compete: don't train at one  speed. If you do, you'll only race at one speed.

Thanks guys, it is still a work in progress
    @BigBearKris - welcome to the thread :)

Don't worry about the pic. 8 miles each way is a nice little ride. I assume you'll trigger the e part on the climbs? (If that's a daft question, it's cos I know nothing about e bikes)

:)