The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 456
    Yeah, had a spare tube and a CO2 pump, I don’t puncture often but wouldn’t dream of going out without!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @littlegreenman ; hmm. By "tubeless" you don't mean tubular, do you?

Sorry, had to ask as I know a few who get confused ;).

Let us know how you get on with the new gear, maybe post a pic of her to make us jealous!

:) 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    I had this slight incident on Thursday evening.
    Riding down a fairly technical trail, and there was a solitary 'whoosh'. I didn't even bother stopping, as I knew it wasn't going to be pluggable on the trail.

Thankfully the CushCore insert let me finish the trail, and trundle the 4 miles back to the van without any issues.

New tyre wrestled on today, so I'll be out somewhere tomorrow before it gets colder.

image.png 873.3K
  • Mellish said:
    @littlegreenman ; hmm. By "tubeless" you don't mean tubular, do you?

Sorry, had to ask as I know a few who get confused ;).

Let us know how you get on with the new gear, maybe post a pic of her to make us jealous!

@Mellish Nope, I mean sealant and no inner tube, but I get why you wanted it clarifying :)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • No spoilers, but what a brilliant Strade Bianchi! Watched them both, drama all the way.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 456
    Watched the men’s last night, was edge of the seat stuff! Looking forward to Pog and Ving going head to head this week at Paris - Nice.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Picked up a bike at the ripe old age of 36 just before Christmas as I’m looking to move away from running as it’s too interfering with my main goals of adding a fair bit of muscle over the next couple of years. 

Went for a Specialized Sirrus 3

And even treated myself to a shed :lol: 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @BRISTOL86 ; been out on it yet?

What's the verdict?

• racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1022
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Picked up a bike at the ripe old age of 36 just before Christmas as I’m looking to move away from running as it’s too interfering with my main goals of adding a fair bit of muscle over the next couple of years. 

very nice  bike enjoy :-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

Mellish said:
    @BRISTOL86 ; been out on it yet?

What's the verdict?

Yeah several times, including both days this weekend! Really enjoying it!
    BRISTOL86 said:

very nice  bike enjoy :-)
    Thanks dude!
    @BRISTOL86 ; good for you mate. Keep it up. 

Thanks man. Rides from the two days

edited March 2023
    @BRISTOL86 ; about a couple of miles before you get home, drop into the lower gears (little resistance) and spin normally - gets rid of the lactic acid.

Apart from that, just as you're doing. Or you could do hard day/easy day...you know, hard one day, easy the next, rather than every day a hard day which will have its consequences. 

Mellish said:
    @BRISTOL86 ; about a couple of miles before you get home, drop into the lower gears (little resistance) and spin normally - gets rid of the lactic acid.

Apart from that, just as you're doing. Or you could do hard day/easy day...you know, hard one day, easy the next, rather than every day a hard day which will have its consequences. 

Oh I don’t do this every day!

I resistance train 4x / wk so I can’t do moderate-intense cardio every day as the interference is too much...I learned that the hard way when I was a proper cardio junkie and trying to run 6x a week on top of lifting! 

The cycling is very much an accompaniment to my main goal of building more lean mass in the coming couple of years, will be twice a week max.

Good tip on the lactic acid flushing!
    edited March 2023
    @BRISTOL86 ; my speciality was time trials, though I could climb ok  too and would enter hillclimb events, like Pea Royd Lane and Trooper Lane. (both are available on YouTube for those who want go get a sense of it). 

• I bought a road bike in 2016 and spent a couple of summers doing 15-20 mile rides. Unfortunately it tailed off after that. This year, I feel hugely motivated to get back into cycling (stopping drinking alcohol three months ago may have something to do with it). I need to get the road bike serviced (Giant Defy 2) and get back on the road. I have a long held ambition to take part in a sportive. I’ve got my eye on the Tour de Mon small course, 46 miles, in August. So need to get up to that kind of distance over the summer.

Also planning to buy a mountain bike. I’m in Snowdonia and surrounded by mountains and there are a lot of trails and tracks to explore from my doorstep. Got my eye on a Trek Roscoe 6, planning to visit the local bike shop soon. 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    Mellish said:
    @BRISTOL86 ; my speciality was time trials, though I could climb ok  too and would enter hillclimb events, like Pea Royd Lane and Trooper Lane. (both are available on YouTube for those who want go get a sense of it). 

Hill climbs are the sole province of the insane. The last one I did was finished off with a healthy dose of vomiting - Never again - I'm considering a TT come back this year but time will tell ;)
    edited March 2023
    @MagicPigDetective ; if you do decide to get another road bike, work your way into it gradually
    . Too much at the start will make it seem like a chore when it should be fun. Good luck. 

@Nikc ; yeah go on mate, go for it. Maybe a cheap but reliable winter bike, too, so you can still be out there clocking up the miles through winter.

• NikcNikc Frets: 629
    Mellish said:
    @MagicPigDetective ; if you do decide to get another road bike, work your way into it gradually
    . Too much at the start will make it seem like a chore when it should be fun. Good luck. 

@Nikc ; yeah go on mate, go for it. Maybe a cheap but reliable winter bike, too, so you can still be out there clocking up the miles through winter.

Making a big'ish work life balance change in a couple of weeks that will lead back to regular cycle commuting and some time for training, hence the possible return to racing. Looking forward to it chance to get some serious miles in but with a short bailout home when needed ;)