The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9785
    I’ve been with PedalCover for a few years. It was started by a triathlete/cyclist who worked in the insurance industry and realised that most mainstream home insurance deals were useless for people who have decent bikes. The drawback is you have to have your house insurance through them as well - however when I switched a few years ago they contacted my home contents and buildings insurance companies to cancel those. I didn’t have to do anything and it went ahead with no problems at all. I saved something like £800 overall, mainly because my bike insurance through British Cycling had got very expensive, even though I had stopped riding them in races.

The caveat is I have never had to make a claim, which is the real test for any service. I see loads of other companies which are similarly pitched in the cycling magazines now, but about ten years ago PedalCover was a new thing and they got a lot of customers in the cycling scene in south Wales (they’re based in Ewenny, near Bridgend) when they started.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezzaSnrJezzaSnr Frets: 28
    bobblehat said:
    Looking for recommendations for an entry level Gravel Bike or possibly a Hybrid. Don't want to spend too much at this stage until I know I'm going to be using it regularly. Looking at second hand with a budget up to around £500 max.
    Any info much appreciated.
    Have a look at used Cyclocross bikes. 
    There’s some bargains to be had. 
    Plenty of people got one intending to race and then realised it’s flipping hard. 
    Also there are a few cantilever braked bikes that people are upgrading to ride discs. A cantilever braked bike is a great, affordable way to see if this type of cycling is for you. The brakes will not be as nice as hydraulic discs, but they certainly won’t be the limiting factor in your riding. 
    Many will also have braze ons for guards & racks enabling build up in to fantastically versatile winter/commute/bike packing ride if that’s the way you end up going. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @MagicPigDetective ; never did have any so can't advise there. 

Kept mine in the hallway. But your local bike shop should be in a position to advise, along with some of the lads here

:) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3909
    @MagicPigDetective mine’s with TSB - but whoever you go with you’ll need decent locks. 

@thermionic heal fast!
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 968
    Looks like a good ride @BRISTOL86 ;;;;

It's NBD here. Picked this up from Evolution Bikes, Bangor yesterday, a 2021 Trek Roscoe 8, in great condition. I've had bog standard mountain bikes in the past but this is on a completely different level... it's a beast! Just a quick spin this morning to get to know it. Dropper post is interesting... until last week I didn't even know of such things!

Congrats on the bike - a mate has one and they’re great fun. I wanted to order one but Trek had a big wait at the time so I went with a Merida Big Trail which is a nice upgrade over my old HT, the 29s just roll over anything and everything - perfect for Brenin incl the red trails. 
    Hope you have some cracking days out ahead
  • Just touched down in Mallorca til Friday, fancied some nice weather! Sa Calobra is no doubt going to kill me, haha. Cap Formentor should an easy way to get the legs going. Renting a nice Massi while here, should make the hills at least bearable.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just touched down in Mallorca til Friday, fancied some nice weather! Sa Calobra is no doubt going to kill me, haha. Cap Formentor should an easy way to get the legs going. Renting a nice Massi while here, should make the hills at least bearable.
    Enjoy!

Not at all jealous...

• BlueStrat said:

It's NBD here. Picked this up from Evolution Bikes, Bangor yesterday, a 2021 Trek Roscoe 8, in great condition. I've had bog standard mountain bikes in the past but this is on a completely different level... it's a beast! Just a quick spin this morning to get to know it. Dropper post is interesting... until last week I didn't even know of such things!

Congrats on the bike - a mate has one and they’re great fun. I wanted to order one but Trek had a big wait at the time so I went with a Merida Big Trail which is a nice upgrade over my old HT, the 29s just roll over anything and everything - perfect for Brenin incl the red trails. 

Thanks! This one has 27.5's, they went up to 29's on the 2022 model. I live close to Coed y Brenin, looking forward to going there, when it's dried a bit maybe.

One thing I need to check; I asked them to to a tubeless set up, which would then be done for an additional fee. Well, they didn't charge me for the set up, so either they forgot to charge me, or they didn't to the tubeless set up. I suppose the easiest way to check is to deflate a tyre and see if there's a tube, or sealant inside. 

One thing I need to check; I asked them to to a tubeless set up, which would then be done for an additional fee. Well, they didn't charge me for the set up, so either they forgot to charge me, or they didn't to the tubeless set up. I suppose the easiest way to check is to deflate a tyre and see if there's a tube, or sealant inside. 
    Only do a partial deflation; if it's tubeless then the valve should be firmly attached to the rim if not you should be able to push the tube into the tyre. If you deflate to far there is a risk that you'll unseat the tyre and they can be a PITA to reseat. You may also need some more sealant.

Even if you are tubeless make sure you have a spare inner tube in your pack and a pump. Otherwise you will get a puncture that the sealant won't seal.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3057
    edited March 2023
    Thanks @drofluf , did that and the valve was solid and couldn’t push it, it must be tubeless. Very obliging of the shop to forget to charge for it! I’d better get some tubeless tools/plugs (and inner tube)
    Thanks @drofluf , did that and the valve was solid and couldn’t push it, it must be tubeless. Very obliging of the shop to forget to charge for it! I’d better get some tubeless tools/plugs (and inner tube)
    You did do the bit that I forget to mention: unscrew the nut that holds the valve against the rim? 

Plugs are really effective. If it comes to read eating at home something like an Airshot is really helpful. 
  • drofluf said:
    You did do the bit that I forget to mention: unscrew the nut that holds the valve against the rim? 

Plugs are really effective. If it comes to read eating at home something like an Airshot is really helpful. 
    Yes unscrewed the nut, and the valve was solid as a rock. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2658
    I've been a recreational road cyclist for about 20 years however I've found my enthusiasm wain over last few years, having cycled most of the roads in Perthshire more times than I care to remember.

To re-ignite my interest, i'm thinking of jumping on the gravel biking bandwagon, because there's loads of great route options nearby. Not sure though - I don't really have anywhere to securely store an expensive new gravel bike. So thinking of putting some suitable tyres on my hardtail MTB first and doing a few recce rides first.

Just thinking out loud really!
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @ewal ; no, it's a good idea.

If the road isn't working for you, try off-road.

:) 
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5071
    edited March 2023
    ewal said:
    I've been a recreational road cyclist for about 20 years however I've found my enthusiasm wain over last few years, having cycled most of the roads in Perthshire more times than I care to remember.

To re-ignite my interest, i'm thinking of jumping on the gravel biking bandwagon, because there's loads of great route options nearby. Not sure though - I don't really have anywhere to securely store an expensive new gravel bike. So thinking of putting some suitable tyres on my hardtail MTB first and doing a few recce rides first.

Just thinking out loud really!
    @ewal for most trails a hardtail is better than a gravel, unless you're doing long distance rides. And even then? I did King Arthur's trail on a £750 Trek Marlin 7 hardtail and can't even think how it would have been easier on a gravel. Yeah, if you're on a Curve Belgie maybe, but who's got £5K+ to spend on a once in a while bike?

And yes, I do appreciate the irony of me posting that while I'm in the Balaerics riding a rented £5K bike ;)
  • ewalewal Frets: 2658
    Yes - I guess there's a bit of GAS mixed in there too. "If I got a gravel bike, I could use it for bike packing", "If I got a gravel bike, I could use it for road cycling, when my road bike is on the turbo trainer."

But really I just fancy a new bike  ;) The GAS will blow over soon!
    ewal said:
    Yes - I guess there's a bit of GAS mixed in there too. "If I got a gravel bike, I could use it for bike packing", "If I got a gravel bike, I could use it for road cycling, when my road bike is on the turbo trainer."

But really I just fancy a new bike  ;) The GAS will blow over soon!
    Yes the "n+1 rule" applies to cycling as well :)  that was where I heard it first used. I've actually trimmed my fleet down quite radically but still have a hankering for a gravel bike.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    BlueStrat said:

Thanks! This one has 27.5's, they went up to 29's on the 2022 model. I live close to Coed y Brenin, looking forward to going there, when it's dried a bit maybe.

I really love this type of bike. I also have a big trail, but with 27.5+ tyres. Really fun bikes. The Roscoe looks great!
  • Back from Mallorca, and can see why it gets used as a training camp! Didn't get to ride the iconic Sa Calobra as it's still closed after damage from Storm Wotshisface, but still got some good rides in. Nice rental bike, carbon Massi with full Ultegra :)

Puerto Pollenca to the Formentor lighthouse and back was the highlight. High being the operative word. It's only 40km, but with the small matter of just shy of 1000m of elevation! The first climb lulls you into false sense of security at an average of 6% for 3.5km, then you do the climb to the lighthouse. Averages 7% but maxes out in parts at 15% with one short spike at 18%!, my legs still bloody hurt, haha. Final part of the road to the lighthouse is still closed also so got as close as I could. So you basically do 2 climbs, and then do them both again in reverse to get back to port, there's no shortcut home so you just have to grin and bear it.

I was probably the slowest out there, but hey, I got it done without getting off to push ;)

On the plus side, I did meet a baby goat!

May be an image of bicycle and nature

May be an image of road and tree

May be an image of road

May be an image of nature and mountain

May be an image of nature tree and road

May be an image of road and nature

May be an image of road

May be an image of nature

May be an image of sky

May be an image of nature and mountain

May be an image of body of water and nature

May be an image of nature

May be an image of map and text that says STRAVA SANT EN Jrt de Pollena Vilar Ride 252 mi Elev Gain 2881 ft Time Time 2h 44m

May be an image of animal and nature

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom