The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @Nikc ; yep. I had a couple of loops, one easy and one hard, but both having a shortcut home if I needed it.

Even if you start a ride feeling great, things can soon change and a shortcut home will then be a very welcome thing to have. 

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    Also planning to buy a mountain bike. I’m in Snowdonia and surrounded by mountains and there are a lot of trails and tracks to explore from my doorstep.
    Very jealous of this! I'm not sure how/why I got into mountain biking living in one of the flattest parts of the country :) not sure I'd even bother with a road bike around there!
  • TTBZ said:
    Also planning to buy a mountain bike. I’m in Snowdonia and surrounded by mountains and there are a lot of trails and tracks to explore from my doorstep.
    Very jealous of this! I'm not sure how/why I got into mountain biking living in one of the flattest parts of the country :) not sure I'd even bother with a road bike around there!
    Yeah, I've been living here for ten years and it's about time I took advantage of the terrain. Been following a friend's mtb rides on Strava and finding a lot of trails in my locality. Aslo, Coed y Brenin Mountain Bike Centre is only a twenty minute drive away. I do road bike but avoid the monster climbs and keep to the valleys. I'll need to start climbing with the mtb to access some of the trails and downhill rides though. Oh, and learn how to ride a mtb properly! 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Nikc said:
    Mellish said:
    @BRISTOL86 ; my speciality was time trials, though I could climb ok  too and would enter hillclimb events, like Pea Royd Lane and Trooper Lane. (both are available on YouTube for those who want go get a sense of it). 

Hill climbs are the sole province of the insane. The last one I did was finished off with a healthy dose of vomiting - Never again - I'm considering a TT come back this year but time will tell ;)
    I'll check that out!
    edited March 2023
    Hmm... Ving cracked. 

Around 44s  adrift now. That's a LOT.

• I’ve found a 2021 Trek Roscoe 8 in the local bike shop for £750… think it’s the perfect find for me. 
    @MagicPigDetective ; well done mate!

If it's your size, and it's what you want, snap it up!

• Ta @Mellish the size felt good. I went in to look at the new Roscoe 6, but was very pleased to find they had this used 8 in, it has far better components than the 6 (eg air fork rather than spring) , is in good condition and a lot cheaper... it's a no brainer! Will ring them tomorrow to seal the deal.
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 456
    Mellish said:
    Hmm... Ving cracked. 

Around 44s  adrift now. That's a LOT.

Yeah, I was surprised he did as he’s been showing some decent early season form. First psychological blow dealt by Pog before July’s showdown!
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    Ta @Mellish the size felt good. I went in to look at the new Roscoe 6, but was very pleased to find they had this used 8 in, it has far better components than the 6 (eg air fork rather than spring) , is in good condition and a lot cheaper... it's a no brainer! Will ring them tomorrow to seal the deal.
    |I was looking at the price of Roscoes yesterday. New, they are very expensive for the spec, although the one you've seen looks a decent price. They are a similar beast to my HT, an Orbea Laufey.

Looking at the spec, it says the bike come with Rekons. Everyone has their own take on tyres but Rekons really aren't made for wet Welsh weather. I have one on the back of my Laufey and describe it as my Spanish tyre - suitable for dry, dusty trails and unpredictable in normal Swansea weather. :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Pjon ; not up on off-road tyres but from what you said I assume Rekons are slicks or slick-er?

• Pjon said:
    Ta @Mellish the size felt good. I went in to look at the new Roscoe 6, but was very pleased to find they had this used 8 in, it has far better components than the 6 (eg air fork rather than spring) , is in good condition and a lot cheaper... it's a no brainer! Will ring them tomorrow to seal the deal.
    |I was looking at the price of Roscoes yesterday. New, they are very expensive for the spec, although the one you've seen looks a decent price. They are a similar beast to my HT, an Orbea Laufey.

Looking at the spec, it says the bike come with Rekons. Everyone has their own take on tyres but Rekons really aren't made for wet Welsh weather. I have one on the back of my Laufey and describe it as my Spanish tyre - suitable for dry, dusty trails and unpredictable in normal Swansea weather. :D
    Yes, it has a Rekons +, they seemed pretty fat with chunky treads, it's got a tubeless setup, I don't know much about tubeless but I guess I'm going to be learning quick. 

I'm collecting the bike tomorrow. I'll see how it goes before thinking about changing anything... I need to get a feel for mountain biking first and see what type of trails and terrain I'll be riding. There's also a few accessories I need, but will need need to wait till payday! Another expensive hobby.....
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    Reckon plus's look like a fairly low profile tread pattern, which will be more suited to hard park trails, as they won't cut through/dig into softer trails that well.

I'd probably still run one on the rear, as I don't mind less traction there, but I'd probably put something else on the front.
    @m_c ; ah, cheers! "

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3910
    Pjon said:

Yes, it has a Rekons +, they seemed pretty fat with chunky treads, it's got a tubeless setup, I don't know much about tubeless but I guess I'm going to be learning quick. 

I'm collecting the bike tomorrow. I'll see how it goes before thinking about changing anything... I need to get a feel for mountain biking first and see what type of trails and terrain I'll be riding. There's also a few accessories I need, but will need need to wait till payday! Another expensive hobby.....
    Tubeless is great on a mountain bike, never tried on road. I remember one puncture I had; there was a spray of sealant and it was sealed. Usually they weren’t so dramatic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Some snaps from today’s ride, my longest ever!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3058
    edited March 2023
    Looks like a good ride @BRISTOL86 ;;

It's NBD here. Picked this up from Evolution Bikes, Bangor yesterday, a 2021 Trek Roscoe 8, in great condition. I've had bog standard mountain bikes in the past but this is on a completely different level... it's a beast! Just a quick spin this morning to get to know it. Dropper post is interesting... until last week I didn't even know of such things!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looks like a good ride @BRISTOL86 ;;

It's NBD here. Picked this up from Evolution Bikes, Bangor yesterday, a 2021 Trek Roscoe 8, in great condition. I've had bog standard mountain bikes in the past but this is on a completely different level... it's a beast! Just a quick spin this morning to get to know it. Dropper post is interesting... until last week I didn't even know of such things!

Lovely looking bike that!!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9785
    I crashed on the club ride today. Touch of wheels and the rider in front of me went down. I was able to react, but as he fell to the side I wasn’t able to avoid him completely. Clattered down onto my elbow, which is a bit sore, but I got off lightly really. Managed to not rip my nice Castelli jacket, but got some annoying scrapes on my rear derailleur and Ergolever.

Funnily enough, I was chatting to a friend about the bad crashes we suffered about ten years ago (she broke her arm badly, I ended up with twenty stitches in my face) and I said “you’ve just got to accept you are going to fall off every few years, it’s just down to simple physics”. I didn’t expect to fall off ten minutes later!
  • Ouch @thermionic ... sod's law eh.

Anyone got bike insurance? Trying to get my head round the requirements. No room in the house. Outbuildings are old without the required secure doors and locks.. so would need to install some kind of rail in an outbuilding to lock it with an approved locking system.....quite a ffaff.