The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Looks absolutely stunning! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @littlegreenman ; oh well done mate!

Some climbs can make you really want to abandon. It would be the easiest thing to do, and that's exactly why you shouldn't do it. Even though it may make you curse, see it through. You'll feel great that you did it. 

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mellish said:
    @littlegreenman ; oh well done mate!

Some climbs can make you really want to abandon. It would be the easiest thing to do, and that's exactly why you shouldn't do it. Even though it may make you curse, see it through. You'll feel great that you did it. 

Thanks @Mellish ; :)

I've done some fairly hard climbs previously, Hartside Pass in Yorkshire, Els Angels in Girona and Norton Summit in Adelaide to name a few, but that one was the worst. No consistency at all, it's like 4%, then 12%, then 6%, etc so you can't get into a rhythm. Different gradients all the way up, and no "easy" bits to get your legs back. I averaged just under 10 mph for the whole ride #CaptainSlow, but as you say glad I got it done :D 
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    edited March 2023
    @littlegreenman ; I never cycled abroad.

1965-1980 was when I competed. TT mainly but I loved Hillclimb events, too. Pea Royd Lane was my favourite, around five minutes of pure, undiluted hell  

I tried outside those years but I'd say those were my best. 

• Just touched down in Mallorca til Friday, fancied some nice weather! Sa Calobra is no doubt going to kill me, haha. Cap Formentor should an easy way to get the legs going. Renting a nice Massi while here, should make the hills at least bearable.

Hahahaha! Easy? Fook me...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 329
    Well done @littlegreenman Pity Sa Colabra was closed, 10 mph sounds like my speed ....
  • Did a ten-mile ride on the mountain bike on local trails this morning. It was tough, with a lot of steep climbs to a high point, I had to push the bike up a lot of the hills. The downhill sections were fun, of course, and the Roscoe handles rough forestry tracks with ease. It was a good buzz but my tank was completely empty at the end. I'm going to have to work on my fitness if I want to cycle these trails, I need to road cycle regularly, clocks going forward will make that easier. Also thinking about resistance band exercises to improve strength. 
    Some photos and nice views:

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Amazing view and gorgeous bike!
    @MagicPigDetective ; what I'll pass on is don't get discouraged.

Push the bike up today, ride it up tomorrow. Ok, not quite that quick a transformation but you get me: stick with it.

• BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 968
    Mellish said:
    @MagicPigDetective ; what I'll pass on is don't get discouraged.

Push the bike up today, ride it up tomorrow. Ok, not quite that quick a transformation but you get me: stick with it.

+1 for this - just keep on plugging away, your legs will get stronger with each ride and your overall fitness too. 
    Nothing wrong with pushing uphill, most of the fun is in the downhills anyway  
    that’s a great bike you have there, absolutely perfect for snowdonia Area and there’s not much that it can’t handle with ease. 
    It was a great idea going tubeless, I had a puncture  on the one day I’d left the spares and tools back home. It was a long long walk back to the car. 
    Keep a little top up under your saddle. 
    Oh and some gloves and glasses if you don’t have them already
  • BlueStrat said:

It was a great idea going tubeless, I had a puncture  on the one day I’d left the spares and tools back home. It was a long long walk back to the car. 
    Keep a little top up under your saddle.

And always carry a spare inner tube! Tubeless is very puncture "resistant", but there's no such thing as puncture proof.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the encouragement all, I’m determined to stick at it. 

I’ve bought a tubeless tool, plugs and have a spare inner tube. 

Today was the first try out of new flat pedals.. so much grip from the metal studs. I suppose I should get proper mtb flat shoes at some point. 

I need to get gloves and a mtb helmet (I’m using my road helmet)As for goggles, I wear prescription glasses which is a pain, but do have prescription sunglasses which might do the job? 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    Tubeless is far better than tubes, but having been stuck unable to get a tube in, then having to walk 3 miles back to the van, all my rear wheels now have inserts.

One allowed me to ride this down the remaining 3/4 of a very rocky trail, then the 4 mile trundle along the fireroad/cycle path back -

When it happened I didn't even stop to look, as there was just a solitary 'whoosh', so I knew it was terminal. It was a CushCore insert, and the only time I really noticed the lack of air was when cornering and the back end got a bit squirrely.
    CushCore are however expensive, and an absolute PITA to fit, and get back off.
    The cheaper options still provide good protection, allow you to keep rolling, and aren't as big a PITA to fit, but don't provide the same stability with a flat tyre.
    image.png 412.4K
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    I used flats for years but decided to try SPD's on my mtb recently and I'm loving it. Feels way more efficient for climbing and a lot more secure on a hardtail. I always have in the back of my mind that my feet are going to be bounced off the pedals on a hardtail on rougher trails. Doesn't really happen with proper heels down technique but still goes through my mind so it's one less thing to worry about. Fivetens are the way to go for flat pedals though! 

Currently having my yearly "maybe I should get a road bike again" thoughts now the weather is getting nicer and evenings longer :) weighing up whether to get something through the Cycle to Work scheme or just a cheaper used bike.
    Thanks for the encouragement all, I’m determined to stick at it. 

I’ve bought a tubeless tool, plugs and have a spare inner tube. 

Today was the first try out of new flat pedals.. so much grip from the metal studs. I suppose I should get proper mtb flat shoes at some point. 

I need to get gloves and a mtb helmet (I’m using my road helmet)As for goggles, I wear prescription glasses which is a pain, but do have prescription sunglasses which might do the job? 
    About to chuck a worn-three-times Specialized Camber helmet on eBay, first dibs to you if you want it! @MagicPigDetective ;
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    About to chuck a worn-three-times Specialized Camber helmet on eBay, first dibs to you if you want it! @MagicPigDetective ;
    Going to wait till next payday to buy a helmet, thanks for offering. 

Watched this last night, on the history of mountain biking from a British perspective, very interesting and a great watch, with a few poignant moments, such as Peaty getting back on a bike

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5071
    edited March 2023
    BRISTOL86 said:
    About to chuck a worn-three-times Specialized Camber helmet on eBay, first dibs to you if you want it! @MagicPigDetective ;;;;
    Going to wait till next payday to buy a helmet, thanks for offering. 

Watched this last night, on the history of mountain biking from a British perspective, very interesting and a great watch, with a few poignant moments, such as Peaty getting back on a bike

Great vid @MagicPigDetective ;. JMC ripping it, and of course the "something in your eye" moment when Martyn Ashton did Ft. William from the Back on the Bike film.
    Bought myself a new toy :) 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86 said:

Cool.

I've got the original Bolt on one of my bikes, few years old now but still going strong. Navigation is pretty spot on. The Roam does rerouting too, yes?
    BRISTOL86 said:

Cool.

I've got the original Bolt on one of my bikes, few years old now but still going strong. Navigation is pretty spot on. The Roam does rerouting too, yes?
    I believe so, though I don't think it's a feature I'll use too often. I like to create a route in Strava and have a planned route, so it will be mainly for following a pre planned route rather than 'on the fly' but it's definitely useful to have! 

The only reason I got it is that I have a new phone which I'm too precious about to mount on the bike, and it seemed a good time as these have gone on sale with the release of the v2. At £179 it's hard to argue the value for money even if it doesn't get super frequent use!