The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5071
    edited February 2023
    I usually Zwift for the crappy bits of Winter apart from my commute, but luckily spent Jan-Feb in Oz, so suffered Mount Lofty, Norton Summit and Wilunga!
    2 weeks back and all my riding has been on my Wahoo. Fuck bad weather, lol.
    Might just do Girona for a week or two soon...
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1966
    Blimey, this is a bit butt clenchingly fast...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking for recommendations for an entry level Gravel Bike or possibly a Hybrid. Don't want to spend too much at this stage until I know I'm going to be using it regularly. Looking at second hand with a budget up to around £500 max.
    Any info much appreciated.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3903
    bobblehat said:
    Looking for recommendations for an entry level Gravel Bike or possibly a Hybrid. Don't want to spend too much at this stage until I know I'm going to be using it regularly. Looking at second hand with a budget up to around £500 max.
    Which do you want? They're very different beasts.

A gravel bike is essentially a road (drop bar) bike with more relaxed geometry an clearance to take a fatter tyre whereas a hybrid is flat barred (like a mountain bike) but with no suspension and skinnier tyres than a mountain bike.

What sort of surface are you planing to ride on?
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @bobblehat ; I was road bike and nothing else, so I can't give recommendations over those.

But some of the lads will and armed with that, have a look round bike shops and place ads in local papers.

Good luck! :) 
  • drofluf said:
    bobblehat said:
    Looking for recommendations for an entry level Gravel Bike or possibly a Hybrid. Don't want to spend too much at this stage until I know I'm going to be using it regularly. Looking at second hand with a budget up to around £500 max.
    Which do you want? They're very different beasts.

A gravel bike is essentially a road (drop bar) bike with more relaxed geometry an clearance to take a fatter tyre whereas a hybrid is flat barred (like a mountain bike) but with no suspension and skinnier tyres than a mountain bike.

What sort of surface are you planing to ride on?
    Gravel Bike is my preferred option. Mostly gravel paths, trails etc but occasional road use. 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 329
    I got one that a mate of mine had built, it was a Planet X carbon frame with a mixture of Shimano Claris/105 groupset and Xtech semi hydraulic disc brakes.  Cost me £500

I wasn't to sure about the 2x8 speed Claris but it has performed faultlessly.

Shimano groupset I would recommend  the hierarchy low to high Claris, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura ace.

Probably something around a 105 for your budget, having said I have seen Ultegra for less than £600.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    edited February 2023
    Shimano do gravel specific groupsets, called the GRX, which comes in different specs.
    SRAM also have gravel specific groupsets.

IIRC the main difference from the road stuff is the kit is its tweaked to be more suitable for off-road riding, but road kit still does the same job.
    m_c said:
    Shimano do gravel specific groupsets, called the GRX, which comes in different specs.
    SRAM also have gravel specific groupsets.

IIRC the main difference from the road stuff is the kit is its tweaked to be more suitable for off-road riding, but road kit still does the same job.

Forgot about GRX, so much choice
  • KoaKoa Frets: 122
    I spent ages wondering what the point of a gravel bike was, don’t overthink it, a good choice that you won’t regret if you can find one in budget 
    edited February 2023
    It depends what the road bike was used for. 

If time-trial , then you'll struggle off-road if you don't replace that close-ratio block! 

In those days (just out of interest) I had an 11-17 block with 55T chainwheel, Campag groupset and a Pinarello frame. Lovely bike. 

• NikcNikc Frets: 629
    bobblehat said:
    the Boardman bikes from Halfords are pretty good (I bought an ADV 8.6). I set the bike up for commuting I've been surprised by how well it rides. My other bikes are mainly Cannondale ;)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    I'd look at the Pinnacle road/gravel bikes as well, my wife had one and it was great for the money. The Decathlon/Btwin/Triban ones are meant to be very good too. Keep meaning to get one for myself to get back into road riding! 
    Have a look at facebook market place, I got my roadbike from there, also South Wales gravel riders group on facebook.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3056
    edited February 2023
    I've been looking at gravel bikes, but I think up here in Snowdonia, it's mostly roads and rougher trails, with not much in between. I have a road bike, so thinking now about getting a mountain bike. It's time I took advantage of the trails around here, and Coed y Brenin mountain bike center is just down the road.

Any recommendations for a new (to use cycle2work scheme) hardtail mountain bike, budget up to £1200? Local bike shop has Trek Marlin 8 and a Roscoe 6 in stock which I plan to try out soon. 

• Thanks for the advice . 
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 456
    Managed 30 miles this morning, felt pretty good considering that was my first ride in 3 weeks. Punctured about 5 miles from home which was a bit irritating, some of the roads round here (south Suffolk) are in a shocking state. Can’t wait to get on the summer bike. I shall have a couple of beers and watch Strade Bianchi this evening…no spoilers please!
  • New wheels day next week. Just spent an enjoyable hour or so at The Bicycle Lounge in Ormskirk speccing 'em up. Decided on Hunt Aero Disc 40's, and will be taking the plunge into the world of tubeless. The Cinelli goes into the shop on Wednesday to get everything fitted and fettled, new rotors, cassette and chain.

So I will then of course become faster overnight, hahahahahaha!!!! :#

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    @vanlooy1 ; I assume you carry a couple of rolled up tubes when riding?
    Don't mess with puncture repair at the roadside, stick in a new tube. Take the punctured one home if you want and repair it there. 

:)