The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• Mellish said:
    @BigBearKris - welcome to the thread :)

Don't worry about the pic. 8 miles each way is a nice little ride. I assume you'll trigger the e part on the climbs? (If that's a daft question, it's cos I know nothing about e bikes)

:) 
    Yes indeed. 

It basically rides like a regular (well, much heavier) bicycle but on hills it engages pedalling assistance- up to 15mph. So still plenty of regular cycling but without killing myself on the hills on my way to work. Idea is to get into cycling more as it'll be much more pleasant experience rather than challenge. I like cycling but always chose to either drive or walk once given an option - hopefully this will get me out much more. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @BigBearKris - gotcha.

That's a cunning way to ease yourself into it =).

You may find (as your fitness level increases) that the bug bites you and you also arm yourself with a road bike, possibly for next summer, to experience how a light bike responds. But for now, an e bike will do what you need. 

If you need advice over saddle height, ask away and someone will jump in. 
  • Amazing ride by Van Vlueten to win the the women’s World Road Race despite a broken elbow! Can’t wait for the chaps!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Zoe Backstedt making history as the only cyclist to ever hold 4 Rainbow Jerseys in 4 different disciplines at any level. Junior World Champion at Road, TT, Track (Madison) and Cyclo-Cross!!!

May be an image of 1 person standing riding a bicycle bicycle and outdoors

And winning them all in emphatic style. Future's looking good...
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5071
    edited September 2022
    vanlooy1 said:
    Amazing ride by Van Vlueten to win the the women’s World Road Race despite a broken elbow! Can’t wait for the chaps!!

That was quite the win. The field didn't expect that, nor did Annemiek by the looks of it at the end. Looked like her racing brain just took over after the Flamme Rouge and off she went. Brilliant!

Remco and Wout v's Matthieu in the men's methinks?
  • Astonishing ride in the Men’s race, love him or hate him, chapeau Remco!
  • vanlooy1 said:
    Astonishing ride in the Men’s race, love him or hate him, chapeau Remco!

Indeed. La Doyenne, La Vuelta and now the World's in one season at 22. Perhaps Belgium can now stop waiting for the "next Merckx" and revel in simply having Evenepoel?

I've had a trip to Brussels planned for a while this weekend. Looks like Remco's homecoming parade is on Saturday! I'm thinking my plans may well have to now include a bit of a party at the Grand Place with one or two of the locals, should be a hoot :D
  • vanlooy1 said:
    Astonishing ride in the Men’s race, love him or hate him, chapeau Remco!

Indeed. La Doyenne, La Vuelta and now the World's in one season at 22. Perhaps Belgium can now stop waiting for the "next Merckx" and revel in simply having Evenepoel?

I've had a trip to Brussels planned for a while this weekend. Looks like Remco's homecoming parade is on Saturday! I'm thinking my plans may well have to now include a bit of a party at the Grand Place with one or two of the locals, should be a hoot :D
    Got to be red hot favourite for Lombardy too. Sounds like a blast, enjoy!
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 329
    I finished last year just shy of 1600 miles.

On the gravel bike at the moment, done 140 so far and my first 50 miler last week which I am just getting over.

Looking to do my first 100 before this year before I get too old =)
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Suggestions for the simplest app (iPhone) that can keep a record of how far I cycle? Often when I'm cycling without a particular destination in mind, I lose track of how far I've travelled. Can be a whole afternoon of random mooching. I sometimes sit down later with Google maps and try to guesstimate it, but that's a PITA.

Just want a total for the trip, perhaps logging day-by-day. But I don't need anything particularly fancy or anything that pesters for info.

Don't mind paying a few £££s to avoid ads.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    Strava is probably the most popular, and just ignore all the segments/leader boards.
    Even in non-subscription form it doesn't pester you with ads, other than sponsored challenges, which are easily ignored.
    You can set it so your profile and all your rides default to Private, so nobody else can see any of your profile details or your rides.

Other options, I can think of right now are SportsTracker, and MapMyRide, but I've not used them for years.
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1022
    edited February 2023
    due to suffering with depression/anxiety (nightmare neighbours living next door etc) i haven't ridden my bike for over 5 odd months (since 28th aug 22).

i did my first ride of the year (sun 05/02/23) on my road bike a 16 miler then last wed 15/02/23 i did a 25 mile ride on my ht mtb (mostly on the road as i had to change my route due to hedges being cut on the k & a canal towpath and lots of people getting punctures).

i put up a thread on singletrack forum asking if anyone wanted to go riding who was local (also mentioning the depression and not riding for months due to it and the neighbours etc).

well on monday will be meeting up with a couple of the forum members for a very slow ride on salisbury plain (me being very slow not them lol) one might/might not be able to make it due to work.

will be meeting up with another local forum member hopefully next weekend to go riding also.

am very much looking forward to the rides for sure and meeting up with them to go riding :-) i usually just ride on my own.

i intend to really get back into riding again :-D

the nightmare neighbours can go **** themselves though (they will hopefully be gone for good by 28th march) cannot come soon enough.

oh and thanks to the kindness of @HAL9000 i will be going to my first jam night sometime in march. i am very much looking forward to that too but bricking it also as i cannot play guitar for toffee lol 

apologies to him and everyone else there who will hear my dirge lol (think cheech playing guitar in that cheech and chong film) 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• NikcNikc Frets: 629
    hey i'm just off salisbury plain, i'm also the Chairman of the Andover Wheelers good for you getting out and riding it is the best antidote to all of the head crap that some of us suffer from - keep at it and enjoy. 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 329
    I have used Strava for years, great app. I have never subscribed to it as it gives me all the info I want anyway.

Good to see others getting out. It is a nice stress reliever
  • @Nikc oh nice, i live in devizes so not far from red horn hill part of salisbury plain.

if you fancy meeting up sometime for a bike ride , i would definitely love to go riding (warning though i am a slow unfit old duffer nowadays at 48 lol).

i am racefaceec90 on the singletrack forum.

i haven't really cycled much of salisbury plain i have to admit as it is mostly closed off (i usually just ride the redhorn hill to westbury route).   would love to cycle more of it though at some point for sure.

i did do the salisbury plain challenge 50 km a lifetime ago (think it was 2003 one i did) unfortunately imber was flooded so they closed that part of the route off. it was a great event though 

i will shut up now :-D
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

I didn't go the app way.

I used an heart rate monitor. It could store ride info up to a year, enabling you to see what you did day after day. 
    You should be able to get one at any good cycle shop. 

• BrioBrio Frets: 1966
    I've only just got properly back into riding after giving up for much of December and January due to the cold/ice. Gradually getting the miles back and feeling better for it. This morning was great.
    I use a heart rate monitor strap linked to my Garmin so I can keep and eye on the exercise zone and that all gets save on my Garmin account and phone plus it auto uploads to Strava.
    @Brio ; I'd suggest a turbo trainer so you don't lose any mileage in cold weather...you know, as an idea if you'd like to keep on the bike.

True, it isn't like the road, but nothing really is. 

• BrioBrio Frets: 1966
    No turbo for me sadly. I'd rather swim or do a decent walk.
    My bike here is a singlespeed BMC that is heated just about right for surrey roads and with 32C tyres is great on the tow path or up on the heathland.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Thanks chaps - I'll give Strava a go. I won't be much of an example-setter or inspirational rider, so I'll keep my figures private! :)