Andertons TV - the law of diminishing returns

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    edited May 2016
    TimmyO;1065557" said:
    robinbowes said:

To the critics I say: post links to your youtube vids.

A silly attitude. Do we need to have built guitars to express a view on a Strat.

Or run for office to express a view on politics. Pfft. 
    Not any sillier than some of the comments posted about Rob and Lee. Certainly a lot less offensive than most of the Chappers threads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7731
    Adam_MD said:
    TimmyO;1065557" said:
    robinbowes said:

To the critics I say: post links to your youtube vids.

A silly attitude. Do we need to have built guitars to express a view on a Strat.

Or run for office to express a view on politics. Pfft. 
    Not any sillier than some of the comments posted about Rob and Lee. Certainly a lot less offensive than most of the Chappers threads.
    I'm not int the Andertons kicking camp - just in the pointing out silly thought policing
    Red ones are better. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    TimmyO said:
    I'm not int the Andertons kicking camp - just in the pointing out silly thought policing
    I'd say that, more important than the idea of "post your own videos" is second to the fact that there will likely be cooler periods for anyone who insists on bashing them past "I don't like their videos". Call it "thought policing" if you like...I call it "forum policing" ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
    Fair play to them for embracing the YouTube generation. Not all of it is to my liking. But then it's not made for a 35 year old bloke haha. I can always watch "cats are assholes 2" videos instead....which are definitely made with me in mind.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I really enjoyed the video where they compared a squier classic vibe stratocaster to a Fender American and a custom shop.

And of course the miku demo by them is a YouTube classic.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    Fair play - without the vids, would Andertons get as much "airtime" on this forum? I think not...

Personal opinions of the two guys aside, plenty of folks watch them and I'm sure their personal wealth has increased as a result. If I could find a way of making money in a similar way, then I'd be first in line to give it a shot. But short of doing videos in the style of "grumpy, middle-aged normal man who hates most music shops, doesn't like most new equipment and isn't actually doing that much playing these days... but has an opinion anyway", I can't think of what else I can do.

Thinking about it - I think those videos would suit the demographic on here very well... time to buy a vid camera.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    the likes of Robin Ford

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Erithacus_rubecula_with_cocked_head.jpg

http://mediadb.kicker.de/2012/fussball/spieler/xl/28673_14_201171415165522.jpg

http://themetapicture.com/media/funny-seals-laughing-beach.jpg

Chalky said:
    Sassafras;1064783" said:
    Do we know if Lee Anderton is legally entitled to call himself a Captain?Does he hold a licence approved by the international maritime organisation?Has he undergone stringent navigational courses?If not, he and his shop should be boycotted. He's taking the food out of real captain's mouths and making a mockery out of the whole maritime certification system.
    His military service doesn't count?
    I believe as a veteran it should.  I don't know too much about his military record, but it can be said that he was company 2i/c in the Former Yugoslavian Republics.  If he wants to trade off his previous rank, let him. He has earned the right.
    Seriously? He was a commissioned officer in the forces?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I really don't understand the hate.
    If you don't like them, don't watch them.

Personally I find them lighthearted and a decent watch. It's not highbrow guitar talk, for sure, and to be honest it does irritate me when they don't know much about what they are demoing or get a piece of obvious information wrong but I just take them for what they are now, a way to kill half an hour watching a show about guitars.

We are all so fucking spoilt. It wasn't actually that long ago when guitar content was limited to buying Lick Library DVDs or getting the latest £5 issue of Total Guitar, now we literally have probably 20+ free shows per week with decent production values plus however many thousands more from home enthusiasts.

There's plenty of content out there for whatever your style, you don't need to badmouth the ones you don't like who are giving you something for nothing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    DLM said:
    the likes of Robin Ford

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Erithacus_rubecula_with_cocked_head.jpg

http://mediadb.kicker.de/2012/fussball/spieler/xl/28673_14_201171415165522.jpg

http://themetapicture.com/media/funny-seals-laughing-beach.jpg

Chalky said:
    Sassafras;1064783" said:
    Do we know if Lee Anderton is legally entitled to call himself a Captain?Does he hold a licence approved by the international maritime organisation?Has he undergone stringent navigational courses?If not, he and his shop should be boycotted. He's taking the food out of real captain's mouths and making a mockery out of the whole maritime certification system.
    His military service doesn't count?
    I believe as a veteran it should.  I don't know too much about his military record, but it can be said that he was company 2i/c in the Former Yugoslavian Republics.  If he wants to trade off his previous rank, let him. He has earned the right.
    Seriously? He was a commissioned officer in the forces?
    Surely that's Robin Robben?
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Just highlighting the difference! Robben means "seals" in German.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    edited May 2016
    I didnt  realise it was compulsory to watch it all .I assume it is as everyone who hates it seems to know a lot about it,
    :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    rossi said:
    I didnt  realise it was compulsory to watch it all .I assume it is as everyone who hates it seems to know a lot about it,
    :))
    Bazinga !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8140
    Chappers must be making a few quid out of YouTube, it looks like his hairline is creeping forward. I wander if it's careful comb-over, or hair implants..... Regardless, I'm glad the dreads and Alice-band have gone.

Why does he never play chords? His constant widely-widely lead lines can be a bit repetitive....
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    edited May 2016
    Not logged in for a few days... is this still going on?! They make videos which you may or may not like! You do not have to watch them! You do not have to buy things at their shop or buy what they review!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    Wulfhere;1067063" said:
    Not logged in for a few days... is this still going on?! They make videos which you may or may not like! You do not have to watch them! You do not have to buy things at their shop or buy what they review!
    But as its on the Internet, we have to have an opinion.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    edited May 2016
    Wulfhere said:
    Well...it wasn't still going on until you brought it back to life :P
    <space for hire>
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited May 2016
    Wulfhere said:
    You may not like this thread or the opinions in it. You don't have to read the comments in this thread nor do you have to comment .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5511
    I would enjoy their films more if they were 10 minutes (max!) each. Whenever I click through to one and see the total running time (plus the ads they inevitably tack on) I just groan, switch it off and pick up a guitar to practice instead.

They get high view counts but I do wonder how many people check out early...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Don't think I've ever broken the 2 minute barrier.
    I've tried but I just can't take anymore.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I quite like their videos, but I do agree that most of them can be a tad too long. Luckily, as a relative beginner, theres still enough useful info in there to make me stick around.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**