Andertons TV - the law of diminishing returns

What's Hot

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I accept that it's Lee's house, but his threat was not visible to me at the time I hit the send button.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is censoring member's posts appropriate? ;-)
    I didn't censor his posts at all. He did that himself. As a goodwill gesture, I'm now trying to figure out how to remove unicorn dude from his profile... :D
    <space for hire>
    That's not true. I went back to edit my post, having seen your threat and the link had gone.
  • ...aaaaaaaaaaand normal service is resumed :)
    <space for hire>
  • DLM said:
    That's not true. I went back to edit my post, having seen your threat and the link had gone.
    There's a bug in the editor which causes embeds to disappear (or be broken) when you edit a post. Try it with any YouTube video.

I don't edit posts for personal reasons at all. My name ain't lixarto ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7710
    TimmyO said:

We cool? 
    I don't even remember. Hell, I wasn't even grammatically coherent in that paragraph.
    I've just noticed that this was a necrothread - ha 
    Red ones are better. 
    @timmyo I necrobumped it to respond to a question asked about a funny German false friend. Now wishing I hadn't.
  • @digitalscream ;
    he am the law!!!!!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited September 2016
    Yeah. It was quite some time ago - maybe 5 or 6 years. We did get a lot of extra traffic, briefly, but the rest of the band utterly failed to follow through on the plans we all made and it all came to nothing. It did, however, cost me a small fortune.
    I saw it, and I remember the nickname. 

He gave DS a nickname for Youtube?  I'm confused....

Yes, that's essentially it. He made the assumption that everybody wanted to be "big on YouTube", the corollary being that nobody's interested in your real name, so you need a nickname. The issue is that he thought the name that everybody knows me by on the Internet had about 3 syllables too many, so nobody would remember it.

Sigh.

I get ya now. 

I wanna know what this nickname was.  I'm thinking it was massively corny. 

Sorry, but no. It was that terrible, and it's to do with my surname.

Anybody posting the video will have their avatar changed to the prancing pink unicorn dude from now until eternity, and they'll have their account restricted to Speakers' Corner only.

• Bloody editor 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • People who tune in on reg and watch all their videos are probably brain damaged though.
    Seems a touch harsh/innapropriate. May be worth editing this post?
    no probs, which bit do you take issue with pal ?  i'll get it changed pronto
  • People who tune in on reg and watch all their videos are probably brain damaged though.
    Seems a touch harsh/innapropriate. May be worth editing this post?
    no probs, which bit do you take issue with pal ?  i'll get it changed pronto
    I'm not happy with the use of Reg when you mean Regularly. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • If Rob has anything against the name "Lee", it's perhaps related to the matter that, back in his humble Wiltshire bedroom guitarist days, his best mate/roadie was a Wiltshire blacksmith called Lee Bryant, or "The Lee", as Rob often referred to him. Mr Bryant died suddenly in 2012, at the age of 33, leaving a wife and baby daughter, in unclear circumstances.

As regards the Captain nickname, I seem to recall Rob likening Andertons to a happy ship being steered wisely by a benign leader, and that being the inspiration for the same.

There's something about those early Chappers & the Captain videos that's more entertaining... they were both more laid-back, no sense of celebrity status within the guitar world, swearier, more inappropriate in their sense of humour, Rob was far less up himself. As much as I think he tries not to, he still does come across now as pompous and self-promoting... back then he was just this sweary hairy ball of energy shredding his ass off. Somehow balding middle-aged award-winning businessman Rob Chapman has become a different, more reserved personality to the Monkey Lord of old. I miss the lo-fi production, "Stick" (Paul Annis) and the Coolidge Outlander head... that amp wailed!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7032
    I’m interested seeing in the digitalscream YouTube video! Can someone PM me a link?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3427
    edited December 2017
    Well said digitalscream.

I would guess that they are one of the biggest guitar channels on you tube. 

This has helped to establish the Andertons brand in the states and probably lots of other places too. I've read posts on TGP where people have said that they ship faster than the US stores. That wouldnt have happenned without their YouTube channel.

If they appeal to kids that is a good thing. They are bringing them into music and guitar, which is great and should be lauded.

The fact they seem pretty normal and able to laugh at themselves is all part of the appeal.

Lee Anderton has done very well to get ahead of the game on this and is clearly a smart fella who loves his job.

PS Lee, if you are reading this I'll probably be in the Guildford store at some point over Xmas. Please can I have a discount ;-)
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Well said NelsonP.

It's heartwarming to read that support for Anderson's is undimished. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3427
    edited December 2017
    Ha ha
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    The Danelectro review just done is the worst thing they've done and one of the worst reviews on You Tube full stop.
    The only one as bad was the Rickenbacker review they did , for both they did no research, no nothing about them, how to use them or how to get them to sound,  And they think their ignorance is funny 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I'm quite a fan of the Andertons videos. I like the Captain and Rob and as long as I purely take it as a promotional sales demo rather than an objective review then they're enjoyable to watch (I like seeing guitars basically).

I did like the "sound like x on a budget" videos but they've gotten pretty samey really - take an artist, see which of the handful of highly recommended budget guitars is similar (unless there's a low priced sig) then Rabea does a pretty good impression of them because he's a great player.

One thing I saw on there that I disliked was when they were promoting some new amp sim pedal (same one being promoted that week on a bunch of the top channels) they compared it to a couple of others including the Amplifire but they had set the Amplifire really terribly (to the point that it's quite hard to make it sound that bad). It's as if they were deliberately making it sound bad to highlight how good the one they were promoting sounded. Yet when the Amplifire first came out and they became the UK distributor, they uploaded a ton of videos showing how great it is.

Another was a few weeks ago they were promoting the Boss Katana but framed the video as a shootout of mini battery amps when really it was to show how much better the Katana is than the novelty toy amps that cost half the price.

Having given those criticisms, I watch the channel for light entertainment and enjoy it but would warn anyone about actually taking on board the advice as if it was genuine.

P.S. I'd warn against believing any reviews from Youtube. Was watching a video and a guy says something is really good and goes "this isn't even a paid endorsement, I just genuinely like this!" - that seems to me to suggest that usually when "youtubers" say something's good, it actually is a paid endorsement.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4761
    kt66 said:
    The Danelectro review just done is the worst thing they've done and one of the worst reviews on You Tube full stop.
    The only one as bad was the Rickenbacker review they did , for both they did no research, no nothing about them, how to use them or how to get them to sound,  And they think their ignorance is funny 
    They were quite impressed by the guitars but, like me, they struggled with the concept - cheaply made guitars with weird fittings NOT at cheaply made guitar prices.   I found it quite informative. 
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.