Labour MP Shot and Stabbed!!

What's Hot

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Very sad PM on radio 4 as I drove home - they were interviewing a couple of people who knew her well when the news came in, and they both had to deal with it live on air. No way could I have done that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495

Cirrus said:
    Very sad PM on radio 4 as I drove home - they were interviewing a couple of people who knew her well when the news came in, and they both had to deal with it live on air. No way could I have done that.
    Did a newsreader tell them on air?

That would be cuntish behaviour of the highest order.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16659
    Just heard it on the R2 news. Awful. They seem to have got him but what a shocking thing.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Astonishing. And so sad. It matters not that she was a campaigning MP, it just shouldn't happen, and I hope the twisted bastard that killed her suffers.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    octatonic said:
    Yep, it's pretty awful.

Of course, I've already had the Americans on my FB feed - "See? Told you gun restrictions don't work!". I couldn't even summon the energy to explain it, so I just unfriended them. It's surprising how effective that is.
    How idiotic and insensitive (not you, the Americans).

It has been reported that the gunman shouted 'Britain First' but it is unconfirmed at the moment.
    Aye - seems to be about a 50 / 50 split on whether he said anything at all.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited June 2016
    Was she the intended target? Eye witness said the murderer was in a scuffle with another man when the MP intervened ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36550304

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Fretwired said:
    Was she the intended target? Eye witness said the murder was in a scuffle with another man when the MP intervened ..

From the early eye-witness reports it does seem that she intervened in an already ongoing altercation, and may have simply been trying to help out, in the wrong place, at very much the wrong time.Tragic.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Bloke is a white supremacist Nutjob.

Poor poor lady and family.

What the fuck is wrong with folk.

RIP.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25003
    edited June 2016
    fretmeister;1113215" said:
    No - they cut live to the Police Press Conference - which was the first time her death had been announced. It was harrowing listening - the presenter struggled to keep it together - but was exceptionally sensitive and kind to Jo Cox's friends. Under very difficult circumstances, I thought she did an exceptional job.

This must rank as one of the saddest news stories I can remember. I had no idea who she was before today but have just heard her maiden parliamentary speech broadcast in full on the radio - regardless of your political persuasions - she sounded like an exceptional talent.

My condolences to her family.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2714

Cirrus said:

That would be cuntish behaviour of the highest order.
    But sadly not in least bit surprising in an age when getting people in extreme emotional pain to parade their feelings in public is considered "good journalism".
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited June 2016
    Fretwired said:
    Was she the intended target? Eye witness said the murderer was in a scuffle with another man when the MP intervened ..

That doesen't sound likely to be honest. Firstly an MPs surgery is one of the most obvious places you'd go to target them knowing they'd be there at that specified time. Secondly carrying a homemade gun indicates intent which, he then shot at only at her-repeatedly.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited June 2016
    hugbot said:
    Fretwired said:

That doesen't sound likely to be honest. Firstly an MPs surgery is one of the most obvious places you'd go to target them knowing they'd be there at that specified time. Secondly carrying a homemade gun indicates intent which, he then shot at only at her-repeatedly.
    Valid points .. very sad all the same.

EDIT: it seems the gunman had a history of mental health issues.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10012
    Fretwired said:

I thought I'd heard this at one point as well. The internet has already decided what his motives were though - but we can't deny that the referendum debate has been poisoned by hate for immigration.

Either way, what an absolute tragedy and a waste of a good life.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    edited June 2016
    It may not have been home-made - it could have been something vintage and fairly primitive. If you've ever handled a WWII Sten sub-machinegun it's astonishing how crude and DIY it looks - little more than a few bits of pipe welded together - and yet they were manufactured in tens of thousands.

My guess if it was capable of firing more than one shot is that it wasn't home-made.

But your point still stands - carrying a gun to an MP's office at all indicates intent against the MP, I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    It may not have been home-made - it could have been something vintage and fairly primitive. If you've ever handled a WWII Sten sub-machinegun it's astonishing how crude and DIY it looks - little more than a few bits of pipe welded together - and yet they were manufactured in tens of thousands.

My guess if it was capable of firing more than one shot is that it wasn't home-made.

But your point still stands - carrying a gun to an MP's office at all indicates intent against the MP, I think.
    One of the eye-witnesses said it looked "old-fashioned", and as you say if it can fire repeatedly, unlikely to be home made.

As for a motive, we'll have to wait and see.

A young life lost, and from her maiden speech in Parliament, one that had a great deal of promise.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited June 2016
    Deleted by mod
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25003
    Sambostar;1113349" said:
    The guy was a nut by all accounts then, but I don't think she should be martyred, which will no doubt follow in the press no doubt.   Feel terrible for her family and kids, but at the end of the day she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Ordinary women with a family.  What a wanker. She isn't a martyr though and it's no more shocking than any other women getting stabbed and shot at the end of the day.  She was just a bloody civil servant.  Just sad.  Hope it doesn't drag on in the press.  Wait for the sycophantic speeches to come though.  Puke.
    You're truly one of the most sensitive men in the world, aren't you?

When I say 'sensitive' - perhaps I meant 'pissed'....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    It will be a bloody coincidence if the guy killed her just by chance. More likely it was an attack on her because she was an MP.

Shooting someone 3 times and stabbing them 6 times is an act of passion, not something that happens if you are in "the wrong place at the wrong time"
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Incredibly sad for her kids, husband and family. I don't mind what the press will say - she was still a mother, wife, daughter and sister who was cruelly slaughtered. A horrible, terrible act.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    How bizarre ?!? What were his motives ?
This discussion has been closed.