That petition...

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
edited June 2016 in Off Topic
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Holy shit....  I've never seen anything like it.  Go to the page, wait ten seconds and hit refresh.
I've just timed it - it's currently running at about 2,500 signatures per minute !!  If it carries on like that, it will exceed the actual remain vote by the end of the week. (not that that is likely, but that's how fast it's growing.)
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    the wording of the petition's title and text doesn't even make sense.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Wow! 1.3 million signatures!

If they can beat the number who voted on Thursday they might have a point.... =))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9829
    edited June 2016
    I didn't like the result. However, that is what the people voted for and we now need to get on with it. If the government were to hold another referendum as a result of this petition they would then, rightly, be accused of ignoring the will of the people and of trying to fix the outcome.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
    I agree.  If nothing else, it's a lesson in the old adage 'be careful what you wish for'.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Yes it does make sense.
    If turnout
    Ro_S;1125220" said:
    Ro_S;1125220" said:
    If turnout <75% then there must be a clear majority vote of >60% for the result to stand.
    Otherwise, a 2nd referendum.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited June 2016
    Look at the distribution map for that petition.  The people signing the petition are heavily concentrated in the same areas that had the high 'remain' votes.   Sour grapes.    Maybe their areas should've had a better turnout, than below the national average!   I bet many didn't even cast their vote and are now thinking 'oh shit'.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    edited June 2016
    I don't support it, since it's not the criteria I think is correct for a referendum decision - it's an arbitrary figure, or actually two arbitrary figures.

A simple majority of the entire electorate is, in my opinion. (ie 50% plus one vote.) 60% of 75% is still only 45%.

(Edit: changed from not really supporting it to definitely not supporting it.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4703
    I wonder if the vote should have been weighted by demographic, especially in an aging society with a result than mainly effects the young.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    edited June 2016
    Is this petition open to anyone regardless of whether they had a right to vote in the referendum?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    We need to get on with with life after the decision ... it'll all come good in the end.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Ro_S said:
    Yes it's hard to take it seriously when it's been instigated by someone who can't write a sentence!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Plain silly. Arbitrary figures. Unrepresentative of the history of elections in this country. And its an old idea.

Basically undemocratic because you are constraining the process arbitrarily to defeat change (the Leave campaign) and protect the status quo (the Remain campaign).

To test it try this. Boris takes over as Prime Minister. Comes up for election. But for another party to win they must get at least 60% of the vote on at least 75% turn out.

Now, would the Remainers see that as democratic? Of course not.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I wanted to stay but come on, whinging about it now is daft.

The people have spoken, so we abide by the decision and start sorting shit out.

Long term I really don't see much changing overall, we'll do better in some areas and be worse off in others, it'll just be a different name above the door.

U.K. Politicians will go Brusells and negotiate just like before and some negotiations we'll win and some we won't-just like before.

We don't live in isolation now and didn't before, I just don't think the short term fallout-which all sides have predicted is worth it to have the abstract notion that we're free to govern ourselves.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Some whingers having a melt down ... they just can't get over their own self-importance and sense of entitlement .. "let's start a petion and get the result changed .. let's no platform Boris"

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    All the military personnel & civilians who lost their lives fighting for democracy in two world wars must be turning in their graves.
    hotpot;1125314" said:
    All the military personnel & civilians who lost their lives fighting for democracy in two world wars must be turning in their graves.
    Spinning.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I'm not happy about the result as I voted Remain but the people voted and we're leaving. That's how a democracy works and I accept it.

Having vote after vote until there's a result everyone can agree on ain't gonna happen.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
    From the BBC News page:

"The petition site temporarily went down following "exceptionally high volumes of simultaneous users on a single petition, significantly higher than on any previous occasion", a House of Commons spokeswoman said.

UKIP leader Nigel Farage, who has campaigned for the UK to leave the EU throughout his political career, said in May that a narrow win for Remain could cause unstoppable demand for a rerun of the referendum.

He said at the time that a result that saw Remain win by 52% to 48% would mean "unfinished business by a long way"."

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Chalky said:
    Plain silly. Arbitrary figures. Unrepresentative of the history of elections in this country. And its an old idea.

Basically undemocratic because you are constraining the process arbitrarily to defeat change (the Leave campaign) and protect the status quo (the Remain campaign).

To test it try this. Boris takes over as Prime Minister. Comes up for election. But for another party to win they must get at least 60% of the vote on at least 75% turn out.

Now, would the Remainers see that as democratic? Of course not.
    That's exactly why I think the single transferrable vote system is the best option for parliamentary elections - it keeps the constituency system but the winning threshold for each candidate is 50%, if they don't get there in the first round then the second choices are transferred, etc.

I don't agree that weighting a system against change is a bad idea. Allowing highly-motivated minorities to achieve radical change when there is majority indifference to it is exactly how problems like the politicisation of trade unions happened.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Well this referendum has certainly got people going @ICBM so maybe your transferrable vote stands its best chance in the next two years of Brexit. Change is the new stability! :)