That petition...

What's Hot

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13052
    Turns out that the petition was started by a Leave voter who has, surprise surprise, now changed his mind and decided that the referendum was democratic after all and that it's terrible that people are signing it. I think he might not be the sharpest tool in the shed. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/william-oliver-healey-referendum-petition_uk_576f8b28e4b0232d331e1b39?tzgorqgwe2whr529
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Turns out that the petition was started by a Leave voter who has, surprise surprise, now changed his mind and decided that the referendum was democratic after all and that it's terrible that people are signing it. I think he might not be the sharpest tool in the shed. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/william-oliver-healey-referendum-petition_uk_576f8b28e4b0232d331e1b39?tzgorqgwe2whr529
    Could you please walk me through your logic? I'm having a mare of a time understanding your point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I'd say anyone thinking we can keep having ref and ref until it goes they want isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.  All very small minded and arrogant for anyone to think their opinion is more important than others who were wrong to vote as they did imo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13052
    Drew_fx;1126404" said:
    UnclePsychosis said:

Turns out that the petition was started by a Leave voter who has, surprise surprise, now changed his mind and decided that the referendum was democratic after all and that it's terrible that people are signing it. I think he might not be the sharpest tool in the shed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/william-oliver-healey-referendum-petition_uk_576f8b28e4b0232d331e1b39?tzgorqgwe2whr529

Could you please walk me through your logic? I'm having a mare of a time understanding your point.
    Who said I'm making a point? I'm laughing at a hypocrite whose actions have blown up in his face.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I heard someone is petitioning to rerun the Lottery as their numbers didnt come up... :))
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11444
    I've read the referendum legislation and nowhere does it state that Thursday's ballot was a first leg, and that the matter will be decided by aggregate over one or more polls.
    Word is that people are using scripts to add signatures to the petition anyway. Totally null and void at this point.
  • cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited June 2016
    Chalky said:
    I heard someone is petitioning to rerun the Lottery as their numbers didnt come up... :))
    I think it's probably someone that signed this petition and thought, 'why stop now, I want this and I want that, oh and a new car' I really wouldn't trust anything on the internet to be a true representation, even a bank can get hacked, guess that's why the powers that be still like you to put a cross in the box.

It's going to be a rough ride at first but unless people can get together with it and except it, were all going to loose.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    I'm in a bad mood today so this will probably be a rant.  Apologies to those of a sensitive disposition.

In my life time at least, the citizens of this country have tended to respect the results from elections.  It is one of the things that imo makes this country what it is.  Mob rule was something we used to observe from a safe distance going on in places with a less stable democracy than ours.  I find this sudden distaste for our democratic process and online petitions trying to move the goalposts after the match has finished very unedifying.  Then again what do I know?  I'm old therefore I must clearly be an uneducated, stupid, racist little Englander with the IQ of a retarded blue bottle. 

The hysteria, particular amongst the young, in the last 48 hours has been ridiculous.  This is not the end of civilisation as we know it.  It's a bump in the road.  Yes it's a big bump but it is not, and will not, be terminal.

Since I was at secondary school I've lived through:
    The 3 day week and almost daily power cuts.  The winter of discontent and the miners strike.
    The Government having to go grovelling to the IMF to save the country from bankruptcy.
    Race and other riots.
    IRA bombs on the tube, trains, buses, places in London and elsewhere, 9/11 and 7/7.
    The oil crisis, Black Monday, the ERM, Black Wednesday, and the collapse of the banking system

We got through those (and many more besides) and we'll get through this

I'm not one for rose tinted spectacles and saying everything was better before.  Of course it wasn't.  Virtually everything is better now, however the one thing that isn't is the contempt for the democratic process which millions of people died to protect, and for which tens of millions of people have died in other countries trying to attain.  Everyone gets a vote, everyone is free to cast that vote how they see fit, no-one is obliged to justify how they voted and everyone is expected to respect the result.   That is the way we do things here and too many self-important people with overblown senses of entitlement seem to be forgetting that.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    Ianpdq said:
    This is why there is so many on petition

What's 'DM' for a postcode mean ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4640
    dispatch master
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31

If you click the json link at the bottom of the page, you can see where people are signing it from. Majority from the UK but there are some from other countries:
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Fretwired said:
    Rumours circulating at Westminster that the Petition has won a debate in Parliament on holding a second referendum. Given the there are more pro EU MPs than Brexiters we could be on for round two.

Pathetic.
    Any of those petitions which exceeds 100,000 will get debated in Parliament (at some point). The petition text itself does not call for a second referendum so that won't be debated regardless of what the title of the petition is. 
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22601

paddyb said:

If you click the json link at the bottom of the page, you can see where people are signing it from. Majority from the UK but there are some from other countries:
    Good find. So over 3 million from the UK right now. 

132 from the Cayman Islands... good to see the offshore tax experts are keeping busy :)

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    Ianpdq said:
    Well, actually she doesn't represent the Remain campaign anymore than, say, Drew, or I, represent everyone on here.  She's just an idiot on Twitter.  Holding up one idiot as an example of the entire campaign is disingenuous - though I'm not suggesting you were deliberately being so.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    edited June 2016
    siremoon said:

The hysteria, particular amongst the young, in the last 48 hours has been ridiculous.  This is not the end of civilisation as we know it.  It's a bump in the road.  Yes it's a big bump but it is not, and will not, be terminal.

Since I was at secondary school I've lived through:
    The 3 day week and almost daily power cuts.  The winter of discontent and the miners strike.
    The Government having to go grovelling to the IMF to save the country from bankruptcy.
    Race and other riots.
    IRA bombs on the tube, trains, buses, places in London and elsewhere, 9/11 and 7/7.
    The oil crisis, Black Monday, the ERM, Black Wednesday, and the collapse of the banking system

We got through those (and many more besides) and we'll get through this

How many of those things did you purposely vote for?

My Dad was trying to tell me the same thing the other day. I find it patronising  of the younger voters, and a poor reason to justify a leave vote.  

I grew up during economic uncertainty and  a lot of my worst early memories are due to the  money worries my family faced.   I wanted to avoid putting  my kids through that.   Oh well, I am sure it will be character building  - what a load of patronising bullshit!

Although i will say its  not as bad as the woman at work who voted leave because "everything happens for a reason"  ?????
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab;1126698" said:
    Ianpdq said:

What's 'DM' for a postcode mean ?
    It means direct message. She is offering out any old UK postcode to people who don't live in the UK.
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    edited June 2016
    The petition is now under investigation for false signatures

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I don't think there will be another referendum.

The most likely scenario is probably a General Election followed by a wartime style Coalition of pro Eu parties.

The lack of visibility from Boris and Gove is stunning. But not quite as mind blowing as seeing Cameron run away like a little girl/boy. (edited for pc).
    The first paragraph of Cameron's obituary, many years from now, will include:
    "He quit at the crisis moment of the Century so that he could Go on Holiday."

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Question Time Special

BBC 1
    6-30 PM