Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Original 58 and 54 compared to replicas

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    I've played the 58/59 replicas and they were incredible, Ramon's guitar in particular is something really special. 

Looking forward to the Goldtop coming along as well! 

Replicas made by who? 
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/82821/my-trip-to-try-customkits-guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    I've played the 58/59 replicas and they were incredible, Ramon's guitar in particular is something really special. 

Replicas made by who? 
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/82821/my-trip-to-try-customkits-guitars
    Yep. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371

So my conclusion is a really good replica is very very close for a fraction of the money
    Such as? One of your own builds?
    you probably know who the big replica makers are and it's not one of them, a good replica will crap all over a gibson, that is from mr vintage who has friends with high end replicas plus alot more vintage stuff that i hope to look at one day
    I'm still not sure what replica makers your are referring to, could you be more specific on what replicas you're referring to? I'm curious.

Chibson. ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371

He's a nice guy and says it how it is

Is it OK if I say it as it is?  =)

Why does a "Replica" not have the name of the builder on the headstock?
    And surely the correct definition of Replica is an item made by the original maker....hence the use of the word Replica for the Gibson Historic Pearly Gates....
    http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Billy-Gibbons-Pearly-Gates-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:

Replicas made by who? 
    Yep. 
    It's only when I remembered that thread I realised custom kits was actually talking about his own replicas... this thread is confusing 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    There's only one way this thread is heading....

But good luck @customkits, sounds like you had an awesome day, would have loved to have been there too! Best of luck with the replica, will follow progress with interest.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    Now now, let's not drive him away.  Just nice to know the replicas being talked about are his, as I originally assumed he was referring to someone else.

I don't make historically accurate replicas myself but there is a market for it, and many people won't accept anything other than the proper logo ... and they are prepared to pay for it.  This market wouldn't exist if Gibson had filled it properly

some of the best strats I ever played were high end replicas with the illegal logo on them.  They put most custom shop stuff to shame.  I realised I would gladly have one with very little guilt.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    O
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • WezV said:
    logo positioning is always more accurate on the replicas  ;)
    And will be even more accurate next year....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Or put it another, if it's good enough for Slash....
    O
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    WezV said:
    Now now, let's not drive him away. 
    My post was totally on the contrary @WezV, all power to @customkits for the thread, unfortunately I can see the replica police hovering as we speak...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    O
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    O
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    miserneil said:
    WezV said:
    My post was totally on the contrary @WezV, all power to @customkits for the thread, unfortunately I can see the replica police hovering as we speak...
    I know, I was more referring to Skipped's comment previously.
    O

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited December 2016
    miserneil said:
    WezV said:
    I have only seen real ones on here or can't we mention the R word
    Most would love a replica build thread, and more info on them, no need to be mysterious about the fact you build them.... it's the logo issue that can split the crowd and cause some to get their knickers in a twist 

not sure if you are using a Gibson logo on your replicas, but obscured headstock shots and mysterious comments may make it look that way to some

O
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    back to the original topic then, the two vintage guitars :)

i dont one believe every vintage guitar is magic, and I don't believe every modern Gibson is terrible either.  Not had the pleasure of a real burst, but quite a few contemporaries

the 50's Gibson s have the benefit of being built at a time when great wood was plentiful.... so they certainly have a head start.  

But I always wonder how many are truly special now because they have had years of good setups and fretwork, little tweaks here and there along the way.  Certainly these two look to fall into that camp, being well looked after - they may well play better now than they did new.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    CK I have no probs at all if the replicas you were referring to were yours..far from it, I admire your skills. I just don't see the reason for all the cloak and dagger. 

In 2017 I'm going to treat myself to a really good Les Paul. So, back to my question...what type of cost are we talking here to commission a top quality replica? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)