Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Original 58 and 54 compared to replicas

What's Hot

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    What real thing are you talking about
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    You said Gibson, but I was making a Squier analogy so didn't use a brand name. 
    tFB Trader
    I can only comment on the ones I've played, and the last one was genuinely shocking, only 6k secondhand, fully aged custom shop 9k new 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    With all due respect @customkits, if you're getting into replica world, you're going to need to grow a bit of a tougher skin...had you posted this on MLP or wherever, I doubt it would have got to 4 pages.

Work on your guitars, make them the best they can be, get them into the hands of players who will talk about them and work on the word of mouth.

You'll always be facing an uphill struggle (especially with this thread) if you rubbish your competitors before your product has even come to market. 

I certainly appreciate the comparission with the vintage guitars though, I'd happily talk vintage with you all day :-)

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    Double post
    (formerly miserneil)
  • And thus begins yet another lynching on the fretboard over the most mundane and subjective shite. 

Seriously, put your handbags away
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    tFB Trader
    No i don't just make replicas btw, far from it and certainly can't churn them out and won't either like the big makers do

I build other guitars I fancy trying and will do and have done my own take on a vintage vibe with modern appointments, that's the way I'm headed any way 

You do have to look at and compare to the holy grail stuff to get an idea of what they're like though as they're the tones I like
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    And thus begins yet another lynching on the fretboard over the most mundane and subjective shite. 

can't help commenting I'm sitting here bored looking after my little one who's not very well

I'll have stop this though, if I could be arsed to play guitar I would then I wouldn't be looking here

On a side note I bought a brand new strat style guitar that was £45 and i can't believe how good it is
    Fret works good it's even got a rolled fretboard and a big neck
    I'll be using it as a project to see if I can get close to a fender strat for not alot of money
    I compared to a Mexican and fender select already
    Unbelievable really

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    And thus begins yet another lynching on the fretboard over the most mundane and subjective shite. 

can't help commenting I'm sitting here bored looking after my little one who's not very well

I'll have stop this though, if I could be arsed to play guitar I would then I wouldn't be looking here

Haha that applies to most of us! 

No need for the 'holier than thou' post mate. I think the only thing most of us are doing, certainly me, is trying to help @customkits from becoming the new Andy P Wudtone, cause we all know how that turned out.
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    So anyway @customkits, tell me about that Double Cut TV Model. Did you compare it to the DC TV Special at all?
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    So anyway @customkits, tell me about that Double Cut TV Model. Did you compare it to the DC TV Special at all?
    yes I played both and what's interesting is they're both 60's but the junior with one pickup had the 59 size neck so obviously they were just using them up before going onto the thinner neck

The junior is the one I'd take home, it just had something extra, I'm talking acoustic tone before I even plugged in
    A really sweet tone the special was brighter and the notes maybe clearer 

It could be the bigger neck

It's hard taking it all in there were too many nice ones to play
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    This may be a silly question, but does a nice acoustic/resonant tone always equate to a better amplified tone...or is it more complex than that? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    Voxman said:
    This may be a silly question, but does a nice acoustic/resonant tone always equate to a better amplified tone...or is it more complex than that? 
    Yes, but the lack of one doesn't rule out decent amplified tone.

personally I think it's the single pickup design that often gives juniors an additional something special.

WezV said:

personally I think it's the single pickup design that often gives juniors an additional something special.

I see what you did there ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    The way I look at it is if it's resonant and sings before plugging in, amplified should bring that out

There was definitely a different sweeter unplugged tone that came out when amplified
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Voxman said:
    Yes, but the lack of one doesn't rule out decent amplified tone.

this is something I'll be trying next wez

I have a dc and sc body in limba and mahogany cut out already just to see how that sounds

I want a fattish 58 size neck too

They both sounded good but you could hear the difference and all agreed the single pickup one sounded better

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    Thinking about it, I don't think I have ever built a junior style with a thin neck.  Although the 59/60 rebuild I did had quite a modest size
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Thinking about it, I don't think I have ever built a junior style with a thin neck.  Although the 59/60 rebuild I did had quite a modest size
    The special had a 60's thin neck, not bad but I liked the bigger neck 

The 55 junior had a bit bigger neck, a real handfull, that really rang out when strummed, really nice guitar that one
    I thought this was funny Mr vintage went to buy the 55 and he said I just picked it up strummed it said I'll take it and didn't even plug in
    That's my approach really, I think you know if it's good straight away
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    WezV said:
    have you built one in limba? 

I really want to try one and is the dog ear p90 different to a soapbar in tone

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)