Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• "Oh No" by OK Go. That crazy band from Chicago who did the infamous music video on treadmills for the song Here It Goes Again. It's a fine album.

One of their songs "Get Over It" I like as well, shame it's not on this album. But that doesn't change this one for me.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Queen live DVD from 1974. Awesome. Only 4 guys on stage, no synths, and they sounds as full and as tight as the studio. No missed cues, vocal harmonies all in place, guitar changes from tinkly picking to power chords and wailing exactly on time, Freddie Mercury going from seated at the piano to prancing round the stage in less than a bar's worth of beats. Wish I'd seen this before :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Queen live DVD from 1974.
    You just prompted me to dig it out and listen too.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony;475333" said:
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

This the Rainbow live thing in the fancy purple packet? If it is I think I might have to have a squizz if it's as good as y'all say and synth-less - interesting, I can't imagine Queen that way!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    I've been on an Otis Redding trip since last week.

Damn he was good!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• TTony;475333" said:
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

This the Rainbow live thing in the fancy purple packet? If it is I think I might have to have a squizz if it's as good as y'all say and synth-less - interesting, I can't imagine Queen that way!
    Yes. Live at The Rainbow Nov 74 - the Sheer Heart Attack Tour. The cover is a very "Deep" Purple, with gold print, and a high contrast pic of Freddie on the front. I found it on Amazon.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ICBM said:
    Patti Smith. I've had Horses for years and liked it but never quite got fully into it (though always heard it was her definitive album), and a few other tracks from a damaged copy of the 'Land' compilation, but yesterday I got a complete copy of Land… just fantastic. I much prefer a lot of her later stuff, in fact.

There's also a great cover of 'When Doves Cry' which I wasn't expecting to like - the original is very distinctive and I thought a reworking might be a bit odd - but is just brilliant.

I think I need to get the other original albums now...
    Great stuff @ICBM. Land got me into Patti Smith's music as well when it came out. IIRC the Trampin' CD came out shortly after that and sounds great. I first saw her live on that tour. All the post hiatus albums are quality. "Gone Again" and "Peace and Noise" are certainly worth checking out.
  • Meet Me in St Louis - Variations on Swing. Wish they did more than 2 albums :(

Biyang & Caline pedals plus other inexpensive gear:

SpartanMusic.co.uk

• Some punk-fun from back in the day.....

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• "Lonely Road" - The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. A band I've heard about. But never listened to. It's another one of my 3 for $10 bargain bin purchases.

It's weird this one. The opening track is almost an old school hard rock vibe and then the 2nd track is like an alternative/punk-ish rock anthem kinda vibe with a big sound, reminds me of Sick Puppies a bit, that kind of vibe. I guess that's probably going to be the reason why I like this album because it leaves me not knowing what to expect next. And none of it is in any way bad at all. 

Same with OK GO that I listened to the other day. I love how that changes from rock with crazy lyrics to stabby funky jangly indie rock etc. 
  • For anyone who's fans of Halestorm check out their new song - 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Phil Manzanera's Quiet Sun, Diamond Head and 801 albums. I am ashamed it has taken me so long to get round to listening to them. Brilliant!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    Am finally giving Pink Floyd, Endless River a listen. What do others think of it? I'm only a couple of tracks in but so far it sounds a lot like the pan pipe buskers who are in my local precinct every Saturday (albeit with rather tasty guitar on top). This is not a complement.
  • dindude said:
    Am finally giving Pink Floyd, Endless River a listen. What do others think of it? I'm only a couple of tracks in but so far it sounds a lot like the pan pipe buskers who are in my local precinct every Saturday (albeit with rather tasty guitar on top). This is not a complement.
    I kind of like it but it sounds like a cross between loose jams while the tape was rolling and out takes from "Wish You Were Here" to me.  I already knew it was old material left overs from back then so I'm not all that surprised, it's not like they would have been sitting on an albums worth of material as good as DSOM or the Wall etc....

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    dindude;478436" said:
    I'd really like to like it but in IMO it's not really an album.

It should have been put out as a bonus disc with the 20th Anniversary Division Bell. That way i think it would have carried far lower expectations.

I've listened to it about half a dozen times - I doubt I'll bother again.
  • Lou Reed - New York.  Great tunes.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Winery Dogs debut - so soulful and yet so shredtastic...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Lou Reed - New York.  Great tunes.  

Best thing he'd done since .... errmmmmm ..... ummmmmmm .....

Ok.

Best thing he'd done.  Apart from Street Hassle (track, not album).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:

Ok.

Lou Reed... Sigh. I'm going to open up the floor. Here's your chance to prove to me that Lou Reed has done something worth hearing. I'd heard of Lou Reed before. I'd avoided Lou Reed before because my father told me he was "shit". Fair enough, each to their own. I was young then. Then I heard the Metallica + Lou Reed album and that was shit. It really was. They don't even have copies of it in shops here anymore that's how truly diabolical and abysmal it was. So. Come on. Let's try and turn this thing around? ;) 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3027
    edited January 2015
    TTony said:

Ok.

Lou Reed... Sigh. I'm going to open up the floor. Here's your chance to prove to me that Lou Reed has done something worth hearing. I'd heard of Lou Reed before. I'd avoided Lou Reed before because my father told me he was "shit". Fair enough, each to their own. I was young then. Then I heard the Metallica + Lou Reed album and that was shit. It really was. They don't even have copies of it in shops here anymore that's how truly diabolical and abysmal it was. So. Come on. Let's try and turn this thing around? ;) 
    I don't think I'm going to massively disagree with you, apart from New York, I find much of his work does nothing for me.  New York however does not have a single duff track.  Its a portayal of a dysfunctional dirty corrupt city.  The guitar playing is similarly rough and dirty.   I like the tone of the whole album and find snippets turning up in what i play.

The album is a bit like a book written in chapters about a city that Reed has a strong connection but who has seen the drugs, the violence and the corruption effect the place he lived.    

I have listened to some other Lou Reed and Velvet Underground and cannot get into it.  This just works.