Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Girl pipers and backing vocalists with heaving chests, I'd come see you...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Reminded myself of this. I'm not one for watching old footage of jazz players but when this was on BBC4 I watched it all with my chin on the floor. Nice guitarist and amazing sax and all round top players but the pipes player is...well, I'm glad I could find it on YouTube I thought I might just have dreamed it. :-O
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    edited December 2014
    This... "Angel In Your Eyes" by The Dead Daisies off their "Face I Love EP" 

It's bloody marvellous.

They're not a bad bunch. For anyone who doesn't know it features John Stevens (ex-INXS/Noiseworks) and also Richard Fortus from Guns n Roses. ;) Oh and Dizzy Reed too!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    joneve said:
    mike_l said:

@joneve yes, the Maiden stuff. I didn't say the Blaze era Maiden was bad (it isn't) just not as strong as the 80's Maiden albums.

The latest albums since Adrian and Bruce rejoined are getting back to their 80's strengths, although the songs are a bit longer, and more proggy (again not a bad thing)

Sorry, I wasn't saying you were bad mouthing the Blaze-era stuff, was just pointing out I love some of it...BNW is as good as the "big 5" IMHO. Strong from start to finish. Dance of Death, when you get past some of the ridiculous lyrics is a solid album too. AMoLaD didn't really grow on me (except Different World, which I love), but I enjoy it - I just find a WHOLE album of songs that are 8+ minutes long to be quite a chore to listen to sometimes. 

Final Frontier was better and the songs sounded awesome on the tour too. 

:) AMOLAD did take a while to grow on me too, I had a couple of listens, put it aside for a while, then cam back to it and now love it. I saw Maiden do the while album live, and loved the show.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• dindude said:
    So Long, See You Tomorrow by Bombay Bicycle Club. Never been a fan before but this album has me completely captured, it's blooming brilliant.

And rediscovering a little bit of Alabama Shakes, love this performance.

Now there's 4 people who do not look right together in the same room as a band :P 

Drummer just looks like he walked in off the street. Just casually chewing gum the whole time. Bahaha. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Heard this today, great song, good band too.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Put on August by EC this evening. Even as a bit of an EC fanboy I have to admit it's probably got more filler than actual content. The 80's production has sucked so much life out of the guitar tone that it isn't until the fifth track that it's recognisably a Strat, and he seems to be backed by the rhythm section from a dodgy Motown tribute act. Not one of his best
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Very much enjoying the new Johnny Marr one. Also had a crack through a nice v.rip of Aerosmith's Rocks. Sick as a dog and Lick and a promise still do it for me after all these years. Nice.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000;443329" said:
    Put on August by EC this evening. Even as a bit of an EC fanboy I have to admit it's probably got more filler than actual content. The 80's production has sucked so much life out of the guitar tone that it isn't until the fifth track that it's recognisably a Strat, and he seems to be backed by the rhythm section from a dodgy Motown tribute act. Not one of his best
    But you'll have an the joy of the 'almost sixteen bars of one note' solo in 'Holy Mother'. One of my favourite pieces of guitar playing ever....
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    HAL9000;443329" said:
    But you'll have an the joy of the 'almost sixteen bars of one note' solo in 'Holy Mother'. One of my favourite pieces of guitar playing ever....

Agreed. Excellent track, and great solo. There are some brilliant moments on this album; just that they're a bit few and far between.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Been playing Innerworld by Electric Youth LOTS today
  • This is a great rearrangement of an old song from "Annie"

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited December 2014
    Jethro Tull. the harmonies on Heavy Horses are simply beautiful.

Freddy Robinson (again). Got the cassette machine connected up so I could listen to Moving On. Then bunged the Jazz/Blues Fusion cd in the cd machine.

The cassette was not recorded on that machine. I think it would have sounded clearer if it had. It's a fine machine.

And the Camel "Opening Farewll" DVD. Only Andy Latimer is from the original band but the other 3 guys with him do superb versions of that old material. Special mention for Tom Brislin who might well have been only a baby when the original band was playing does some wonderful stuff on his keys.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Minutemen, Double buckles on the dime all night tonight. Fucking awesome.
  • The Smiths first album.  I just found a cassette of it and happen to still have a working cassette deck.  It's been years since I heard most of the songs and they still sound relevant(=great).

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    This evening I've been playing a lot of "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine.

Absolute fucking masterpiece. Despite being based upon the most vicious assault of a guitar sound imaginable, it manages to be calming, even dream-like. The sound and the melodies are brilliant, and it's a very relaxing listen but still an involving one.

But you probably knew that anyway.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • The Smiths first album.  I just found a cassette of it and happen to still have a working cassette deck.  It's been years since I heard most of the songs and they still sound relevant(=great).
    Always been my least favourite Smiths album...it's not bad, just a bit flat

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    DulcetJones;444316" said:
    The Smiths first album.  I just found a cassette of it and happen to still have a working cassette deck.  It's been years since I heard most of the songs and they still sound relevant(=great).
    I've got it on tape too. If you sniff it you can still smell the magic tree air fresheners that were used heavily in my 1985 Vauxhall Astra back in the day.
    /pointless story
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Faces "Ooh La La" album.

I just bought that. And "Long Player". But decided to listen to Ooh La La first. It cost more, after all :P