Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Following on from this thread http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/28316/the-beatles#latest I decided to give Rubber Soul a much needed spin this morning for my drive to work. 

Haven't actually listened to it for ages....but boy those guys had some great tunes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Extreme's Live in Boston CD from a couple of years back. Nuno is stupendously good and the rest of the band still have it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a weird one... I heard this song playing in a record store yesterday. I used Soundhound to figure out what it was and it turned out to be David Guetta.

The song is "Lovers on the Sun"

I don't know. It was the cool guitar intro that just caught my ears off guard!!

Yeah there's that annoying synthy bit in the middle but that intro etc was too cool so I downloaded it. I like the rest of the song. It just has a cool vibe to it even if it is a bit techno/over-produced shite. :) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • tbmtbm Frets: 586
    Kong by The Notwist. TUNE! Shame the rest of the album doesn't live up to it

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    edited November 2014
    So Long, See You Tomorrow by Bombay Bicycle Club. Never been a fan before but this album has me completely captured, it's blooming brilliant.

And rediscovering a little bit of Alabama Shakes, love this performance.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Got this in the car at the moment. I'm a sucker for Mr S:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_shrGLHjck
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    It's December 1st innit so Christmas songs, natch. Stop The Cavalry currently playing :D 
  • Octahedron;424109" said:
    New AC/DC album. Can be heard on the iTunes Radio first play thing.

*siiiighhhh*

I think I'll just throw my copy in the recycling when it gets here. What a disappointment following on from Black Ice!!
    I heard some of the tracks on Planet Rock.. the songs aren't much cop but some of the solos were amazing (if you like Angus).
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Rival Sons - Great Western Valkyrie.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Last week or so, Restorations. Brilliant, right up my street! Just purchased their whole back catalogue!

http://audiotree.tv/session/restorations/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@joneve good man.

X-Factor and Virtual11 (The 90's studio albums) are ok, but not the strongest Maiden albums.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Prefab Sprout's From Langley Park to Memphis and Steve McQueen.   
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    Royal Blood and Danny Gatton 

Danny Gatton due to a thread on here :)
    mike_l said:

@joneve good man.

X-Factor and Virtual11 (The 90's studio albums) are ok, but not the strongest Maiden albums.

Assume that was for the Maiden-fest and not the Christmas songs? :D 

I actually like some of the Blaze-era tunes (Futureal, Sign of the Cross, Clansman etcc) and some of them are certainly better than the dross on No Prayer for the Dying! 
    edited December 2014
    Because of last post, now listening to Rock in Rio, which, for me, is as good as Live After Death. The songs from BNW sound IMMMENSE on this album.  
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@joneve yes, the Maiden stuff. I didn't say the Blaze era Maiden was bad (it isn't) just not as strong as the 80's Maiden albums.

The latest albums since Adrian and Bruce rejoined are getting back to their 80's strengths, although the songs are a bit longer, and more proggy (again not a bad thing)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Grunfeld said:
    Hey, I like that a lot!  Nice cover.

stumbled across a live version of the song which answers that age old question 'what would a reggae version of a Pink Floyd song sound like if you added bagpipes?'
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Marianne Faithfull.

I got her new album after she was on Later a couple of months back, and finally got around to checking out more of her early back catalogue from the 60s, which I wasn't very familiar with apart from 'As Tears Go By' and a couple of others. (Broken English is the only other album I've got, which is from the late 70s.)

She's much more folk and less pop than I expected, a bit of an acquired taste in a lot of ways (her vocal vibrato is certain to set some people's teeth on edge), and some of her cover song choices are perhaps too cheesy to be a good idea, but that was probably what was expected back then. But oddly interesting overall, although at first I wasn't sure.

Much better than just being famous for being Mick Jagger's girlfriend, which she seems to have been labelled as, anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

mike_l said:

@joneve yes, the Maiden stuff. I didn't say the Blaze era Maiden was bad (it isn't) just not as strong as the 80's Maiden albums.

The latest albums since Adrian and Bruce rejoined are getting back to their 80's strengths, although the songs are a bit longer, and more proggy (again not a bad thing)

Sorry, I wasn't saying you were bad mouthing the Blaze-era stuff, was just pointing out I love some of it...BNW is as good as the "big 5" IMHO. Strong from start to finish. Dance of Death, when you get past some of the ridiculous lyrics is a solid album too. AMoLaD didn't really grow on me (except Different World, which I love), but I enjoy it - I just find a WHOLE album of songs that are 8+ minutes long to be quite a chore to listen to sometimes. 

Final Frontier was better and the songs sounded awesome on the tour too. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4101
    Grunfeld said:
    Hey, I like that a lot!  Nice cover.

stumbled across a live version of the song which answers that age old question 'what would a reggae version of a Pink Floyd song sound like if you added bagpipes?'
    Cool beans!  Right.... now to get one or two of the Dagenham girl pipers to do a guest spot for us!

EDIT, fucking hell, sorry mate but the lady at 0:27  -- gawd she's beautiful!