Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    10cc's 2007 live album Clever Clogs.

It's not got most of the classic 10cc line-up in it, but I don't care because it's the best I've ever heard any of these songs sound. The vocals are fantastic and all the harmonies are spot-on, the sounds are huge compared to the slightly feeble production of the original recordings, and the playing is absolutely note-perfect. And the songs are classics.

My family and I have tickets to see them (was meant to be last week but has been postponed to February...) and if they still sound anything like this good live it'll be fucking unbelievable.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    The Beatles

Having just acquired Let It Be on CD, I decided to listen to more or less everything they released, over the last couple of days or so.

Really quite unbelieveably great - a good half of the songs are instantly recognisable all-time classics, the others are just very good. I generally prefer the later stuff, but there are some gems I'd almost forgotten from the earlier years too. Just so creative - at first with limited instrumentation (and I'm not a fan of the guitar sounds either), later with some of the most inventive production ever, given what was available at the time. And they went from Love Me Do to She's So Heavy in only seven years.

If you don't like the Beatles, or at least understand why they were so great, there's something wrong with you!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2492
    edited October 2014
    I saw this on Jools Holland a few weeks ago and it just had me glued to the screen. Not usually my sort of thing but the performance is great and the song as well.
    Been in my head and on my phone all day

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Mallory Knox - Asymmetry. It's good, but not as good as their debut. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Bit of 30 Seconds to Mars.

Spent a long time hating them because they were one of those bands that was constantly featured on Kerrang! magazine and I thought of them as insipid radio rock, but actually they're pretty bloody good. I like them.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • "Perry Mason" - Ozzy Osbourne. That's my little obsession at the moment. Zakk done some good gee-tar on that! 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The latest pair of Led Zep reissues.

This morning's drive was almost the right length to fit in the whole of the 4th album (I had to sit in the car park to get to the end of Levee).

Sounding fantastic so far. Battle of Evermore sound much better, I've not done an AB comparison with the previous releases but it sounded less muddy and crowded. Sandy Denny's vocals really shine.

I've give the bonus disc a spin this evening.

4th time I've bought these albums, I do hope Mr Page appreciates it!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4101
    edited October 2014
    When I heard this on the radio yesterday I thought it was a great Inspiral Carpets track that I'd missed, not really that familiar with them, and just assumed it was from back in the day.  Nope, it's new-ish and I love it!

Inspiral Carpets, "Spitfire"

• Lightning Bolt (album) - Pearl Jam
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    Lute music
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Bit of Genesis today.
  • Mr Big - Undertow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    At the moment am checking out, and enjoying, in no particular order, new-ish albums by:

St Vincent
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    Jim Campilongo
    Royal Blood
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8092
    Fotheringay's first (and originally, only) album
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10073
    Paul_C said:
    Fotheringay's first (and originally, only) album

Superb album - used to have it on vinyl but never got around to replacing it. May well have to rectify this.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Chris Thile mandolin stuff.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Octahedron;398001" said:
    Lightning Bolt (album) - Pearl Jam
    Excellent choice

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    Well a new band was born last thursday with a drummer i've played with many, many times before and a brand new bass player who wants us to cover this to give us an idea of where to start. Hole Lee Fuck. The timing is demented

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited November 2014