Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8575
    I don't musically trust anyone who doesn't appreciate at least some Velvet Underground.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I have to agree- it's easy to rubbish Lou Reed's solo work (certainly post-Coney Island Baby) but The Velvet Underground shouldn't be written off.

Even some of the later, Doug Yule stuff was OK, but the first albums (with John Cale) are brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2960
    edited January 2015
    dogload said:
    I have to agree- it's easy to rubbish Lou Reed's solo work (certainly post-Coney Island Baby) but The Velvet Underground shouldn't be written off.

Even some of the later, Doug Yule stuff was OK, but the first albums (with John Cale) are brilliant.
    Woooo! there.  Im not dissing the VU work, just saying I can't get into it.  Its been a while since i gave any of it a serious listen and perhaps now is the time to go back and have another look.

• "Best of Muddy Waters"  (no relation.....to Roger)  Bargain bin CD I picked up for cheap years ago of some of his early stuff.  A breath of fresh air in these tech heavy busy days.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    edited January 2015
    Quite a bit of Pharaoh Overlord - this is ace (by Circle) - 
    edited January 2015
    Cool. I like a bit of Pharaoh Overlord, although I have to say I preferred Circle. All that trancy Krautrock stuff. Great video here. I think I'm gonna have to dig out a bit more. Well done @Budgie!

Edit:
    Just been checking it out, and it appears that Circle are back as the metal version of Pharaoh Overlord... or have Pharaoh Overlord just given over the metal duties to Circle? Awfully confusing.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    edited January 2015
    TTony said:
    Lou Reed - New York.  Great tunes.  

Best thing he'd done since .... errmmmmm ..... ummmmmmm .....

Ok.

Best thing he'd done.  Apart from Street Hassle (track, not album).
    Lou Reed... Sigh. I'm going to open up the floor. Here's your chance to prove to me that Lou Reed has done something worth hearing. I'd heard of Lou Reed before. I'd avoided Lou Reed before because my father told me he was "shit". Fair enough, each to their own. I was young then. Then I heard the Metallica + Lou Reed album and that was shit. It really was. They don't even have copies of it in shops here anymore that's how truly diabolical and abysmal it was. So. Come on. Let's try and turn this thing around? ;) 
      Transformer iis a Great album imo .
    Satellite of love
    Vicious
    Hangin Round
    Wagon Wheel
    Make up is  ace!
     NYC MAN   isnt bad either.
    I wanna be black
    Sweet Jane
    Rock n Roll
    White light white heat
    Caroline says
    Ill be your Mirror
    Shooting star.
    Im waiting for the man.
    (Some of these may be velvet underground tunes its a mix album and has live stuff on it) Takes a few listens but worth it imo.
  • "Graffiti on the Train" - Stereophonics.

Not a bad little album. Really liking the (few) rockier numbers on it. Catacomb and In a Moment are great. But some of the slower airy songs are nice too like Indian Summer. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    dogload said:
    Cool. I like a bit of Pharaoh Overlord, although I have to say I preferred Circle. All that trancy Krautrock stuff. Great video here. I think I'm gonna have to dig out a bit more. Well done @Budgie!

Edit:
    Just been checking it out, and it appears that Circle are back as the metal version of Pharaoh Overlord... or have Pharaoh Overlord just given over the metal duties to Circle? Awfully confusing.
    Haha, cheers - I think Pharaoh Overlord are a side project of Circle. Somewhat less heavy and more hypnotic stoner rock. Although, there doesn't seem a massive difference at times. That video is pretty cool despite the sound being a bit rubbish. :)
    edited January 2015
    Well that's the confusing thing isn't it, haha! 

Circle used to do all the trancey Kosmische stuff in 5/4 and that, with the occasional metallic thing thrown in, and then Pharaoh Overlord (who were a side-project of Circle) came along as a more metal alter-ego. Then Pharaoh Overlorddid loads of the trancey stuff and Circle seemed to disappear, but now Circle are describing themselves as NWOFHM and the stuff I've seen is a lot more metal than Pharaoh Overlord.

Or perhaps I'm just over-thinking this on the back of too much coffee.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Just learnt this(again) on guitar so been playing along all evening.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7936
    lots of The Decemberists

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @Octahedron I don't really like Lou Reed much either, but I listened to the Blue Mask because I like Robert Quine the guitarist, and I think it's a very strong album. 

I grabbed Robert Plant's "Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar" to listen to in the car the other day, and I can't understand why i only listened to it once when I bough it in November and then forgot it. Such a lovely record. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Skarloey said:
    @Octahedron I don't really like Lou Reed much either, but I listened to the Blue Mask because I like Robert Quine the guitarist, and I think it's a very strong album.
    Yes, BM is a great "EllPee".
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8m said:
    Just learnt this(again) on guitar so been playing along all evening.

Great track!  I love this cover with Tony Harnell on vocals:

• d8md8m Frets: 2434

Yes!

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    Lots and lots of Marconi Union

dreamy

all started with this:  "These European Cities"