Any Duesenberg love on here ?

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    Just wanted to share. I've just spoken / email directly with Duesenberg. I mentioned about this Korean made thing going around and from their reply I am sufficiently happy now to probably make the Paloma my next guitar (at that will be the last one, honest Mrs Hotpickups ;) ). Without going into a word for word reply, basically it's a small company relatively and they don't want to let the whole world know where they get their own designed parts made so others can follow in their footsteps and copy them. It happens all the time with other companies I know. So, I can see why they don't list where they get their parts. After all they have designed them themselves as mentioned with years of knowledge. Rest assured every Duesenberg guitar is made/built by master craftsmen/Luthiers in Hannover, Germany.

If you had the money would you not buy a stupidly priced Dyson hairdryer if you knew it's parts were made in Korea/China etc?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1748
    Just wanted to share. I've just spoken / email directly with Duesenberg. I mentioned about this Korean made thing going around and from their reply I am sufficiently happy now to probably make the Paloma my next guitar (at that will be the last one, honest Mrs Hotpickups ;) ). Without going into a word for word reply, basically it's a small company relatively and they don't want to let the whole world know where they get their own designed parts made so others can follow in their footsteps and copy them. It happens all the time with other companies I know. So, I can see why they don't list where they get their parts. After all they have designed them themselves as mentioned with years of knowledge. Rest assured every Duesenberg guitar is made/built by master craftsmen/Luthiers in Hannover, Germany.

If you had the money would you not buy a stupidly priced Dyson hairdryer if you knew it's parts were made in Korea/China etc?
    What a load of bull???????
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

What a load of bull???????
    I don't take it as that tbh. Why should company's have to say the ins and outs of where they get their materials from? It is designed by them and is unique. For some reason they have their haters which I can't quite fathom why to that level. Fender have been churning out the same stuff for years and surely get more cost effective over time but they don't pass it onto the customer except they bring out signature or custom models and charge the earth for them for the privilege. But they do because they can because of the brand security 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited July 2017
    PRS are entirely upfront about where their SE models are made - and they haven't been copied as a result.

Dusenberg's 'explanation' sounds like total bollocks to me....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    PRS are entirely upfront about where their SE models are made - and they haven't been copied as a result.

They are made in Germany. Do PRS list where every single part comes from then?
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    I love my Duesenberg but I have to agree with the other chaps that that sounds like BS.
    edited July 2017
    Brize said:
    Just wanted to share. I've just spoken / email directly with Duesenberg. I mentioned about this Korean made thing going around and from their reply I am sufficiently happy now to probably make the Paloma my next guitar (at that will be the last one, honest Mrs Hotpickups ). Without going into a word for word reply, basically it's a small company relatively and they don't want to let the whole world know where they get their own designed parts made so others can follow in their footsteps and copy them. It happens all the time with other companies I know. So, I can see why they don't list where they get their parts. After all they have designed them themselves as mentioned with years of knowledge. Rest assured every Duesenberg guitar is made/built by master craftsmen/Luthiers in Hannover, Germany.
    I love my Duesenberg but I have to agree with the other chaps that that sounds like BS.
    Hmmmm I'm not getting it how you guys can be so sure?

Is it the price of them that gets to people?
    hotpickups said:

Because they used to explicitly state on their own website that the wooden parts were made in Korea.

I wonder if you requested a factory tour how they'd react?
    hotpickups said:

Because they used to explicitly state on their own website that the wooden parts were made in Korea.

I wonder if you requested a factory tour how they'd react?
    Used to exactly. I believe things have changed since those early days 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10541

I think you may as well forget where certain components are made, unless you think a CNC machine made in Italy is less capable of cutting wood when situated in Korea than it would be if it was bolted to the floor in Germany. 

The cutting edge business model these days is to source parts from many different suppliers around the globe but have absolute control over quality. Take the iPhone, it's assembled in China but contains parts made in Japan, China, Korea, The USA, Germany and others

The important thing is the Duesenbergs are expertly put together and setup to impeccable standards at the factory in Germany rather than simply brokered by Duesenberg 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3962
    I TRY not to judge a guitar by where it's made. I like to get it in my hands and inspect the quality, playability and sound. Then judge whether the price tag is fair compared to other comparable instruments. 

The Starplayer TV I had was great quality I seem to remember. Equal to some high end Gibbo's and Fenders I've played. Duesenberg just don't have the weight of brand history that soothes us when paying vast amounts of money for a bit of wood I guess. 

IF the company are being cloak and dagger about stuff, that's not a great way to do business though IMO. Not that it would put me off buying one if I bonded with it in the shop though.
    Danny1969 said:

I think you may as well forget where certain components are made, unless you think a CNC machine made in Italy is less capable of cutting wood when situated in Korea than it would be if it was bolted to the floor in Germany. 

The cutting edge business model these days is to source parts from many different suppliers around the globe but have absolute control over quality. Take the iPhone, it's assembled in China but contains parts made in Japan, China, Korea, The USA, Germany and others

The important thing is the Duesenbergs are expertly put together and setup to impeccable standards at the factory in Germany rather than simply brokered by Duesenberg 
    Exactly my thinking @Danny1969 . I think some of us get bogged down with the minutiae and it just clouds ones judgement. From what I've seen, heard and read these are great guitars and look pretty awesome. They are definitely bringing something to the table that others have failed at IMO
    Lebarque said:
    I TRY not to judge a guitar by where it's made. I like to get it in my hands and inspect the quality, playability and sound. Then judge whether the price tag is fair compared to other comparable instruments. 

The Starplayer TV I had was great quality I seem to remember. Equal to some high end Gibbo's and Fenders I've played. Duesenberg just don't have the weight of brand history that soothes us when paying vast amounts of money for a bit of wood I guess. 

IF the company are being cloak and dagger about stuff, that's not a great way to do business though IMO. Not that it would put me off buying one if I bonded with it in the shop though.
    Totally agree @Lebarque ;I'll let you know. I'm trying a Paloma tomorrow ;)

You believe what you want but they are not made in Germany period???????

Based on what info? I try to see through old forum chats that are out of date

So where's their factory In Germany then?
    i think you'll find that all they do in Germany is finish them off and set them up. 

So where's their factory In Germany then?
    i think you'll find that all they do in Germany is finish them off and set them up. 

Hannover?
    Am I missing something @Hotpickups? Has Duesenberg officially announced that they are no longer using wooden parts fashioned in Korea - or are you taking the fact they not longer refer to this on their website as 'proof'?

I've no axe to grind - I've never played a 'Doozy' in my life - and have no intentions of doing. The whole 'retro but not really' vibe is not my thing. But your money is your money - you're free to spend it on whatever you like.

I've said before in the thread - it's not 'Korean' that's the problem; it's the ethics of a business that keeps quiet - or deliberately ducks the issue as in their e-mail response to your direct question - that I take issue with.

They aren't announcing anything as far as I can see ;) It's all a mystery ;)
    Am I missing something @Hotpickups? Has Duesenberg officially announced that they are no longer using wooden parts fashioned in Korea - or are you taking the fact they not longer refer to this on their website as 'proof'?

I've no axe to grind - I've never played a 'Doozy' in my life - and have no intentions of doing. The whole 'retro but not really' vibe is not my thing. But your money is your money - you're free to spend it on whatever you like.

I've said before in the thread - it's not 'Korean' that's the problem; it's the ethics of a business that keeps quiet - or deliberately ducks the issue as in their e-mail response to your direct question - that I take issue with.

I agree 100%.

i don't care we're a guitar is made, as I take each guitar on its own merits. But where I do have an issue is with all the bull I hear regarding duesenberg actually making their bodies. 
    Its the ethics, it's as simple as that.
    imo you can tell that their Asian made when you pick one up by the finish.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom