Interesting or Cool Guitars at Glastonbury - post in here. nb. This in NOT the Glastonbury thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1087
    edited June 2022
    Something I've been curious about, but don't want to appear snarky - do Wet Leg have someone buying their guitars for them? I mean, it's been observed that their approach to the instrument is somewhat rudimentary. This isn't something I have a problem with, to be honest, it's fun and I got into playing during punk when anything more complicated was somehow a crime against music. But it seems odd that someone who has that approach to the notes would be the same person to say "What I need is a custom Esquire with a staple p90". The other player had what I remember to be a similarly custom offset with RWHBs (may be remembering it wrong, perhaps I should have gone to iPlayer to check). It's something I've noticed before with different instruments. They seem either to have a lot of guitars or a lot of instrument turnover.

Anyone can have whatever instrument they like, AFAIC, but there is a disjuncture there. 

There is also the possibility that they're both actually flashy players and guitar afficionados who are going simple for the fun of it. 

(I've been assuming that the three blokes are basically ringers, so their gear is going to be basic pro stuff, but am happy to be corrected.)
    I will bet a million dollars that Fender simply gave them to them. They are from the new Vintera range and Fender have been working hard since Corona at aiming their guitars at female players (and rightfully so - a good strategy compared to Gibson lumping everything into the now-getting-nearer to £10K Murphy Lab and Signature guitar approach)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    It's the first time I've seen Jack White's new custom jazzmaster in action - it has a built in EHX Pitch Fork pedal on one of the pots so can do some crazy step pitch shifting effects
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    edited June 2022
    Paul McCartney bought his ultra rare L/H 1960 Burst out for the last couple of numbers last night.
    Is that the red one with lots of cartoon Tin Tin esq characters pulling their hands up?

I am watching the highlights now and that is the first one i've seen so dar and it looks so cool.  Even the headstock has it.

edit- I got to the end now, it's that one!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27056
    It's the first time I've seen Jack White's new custom jazzmaster in action - it has a built in EHX Pitch Fork pedal on one of the pots so can do some crazy step pitch shifting effects
    Fantastic sounding guitar too. And he's a Mastery guy :)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Paul McCartney bought his ultra rare L/H 1960 Burst out for the last couple of numbers last night.
    Is that the red one with lots of cartoon Tin Tin esq characters pulling their hands up?

I am watching the highlights now and that is the first one i've seen so dar and it looks so cool.  Even the headstock has it.

I asked earlier in this thread if anyone knew the story behind the children holding their hands in the air Les Paul but no answers yet.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27056
    From TPP - https://www.thepaintedplayer.co.uk/copy-of-beatles-sgt-pepper-les-paul

McCartney's "Crowd Goes Wild" Les Paul was produced for use during the "International Day of Happiness" concerts and featured prominently on the album "Memory Almost Full".  Transformed into a 10ft replica for Gibson's celebrated Guitartown Charity Exhibition held in London 2007, it has remained a popular fixture in McCarntey's line-up of beautiful guitars.  Featuring a cartoon crowd of all nations and religions joined together in the celebration, this is a rare example of musical art that has a powerful message behind it - surely, the ambition of any great musician.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    JezWynd said:
    Maton Fyrbyrd 12 String the guy with Crowded House was playing is very cool. Belongs to Neil apparently...

That's one of Neil's favourite guitars and he's had it a very long time. It replaced the Danelectro 12 used in the studio for Woodface - they used to tour with a Jerry Jones Dano replica too but the Maton became a firm live favourite around the time of Together Alone and then onto the solo stuff. Absolutely epic sounding guitar.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

McCartney’s backline looks like Vox V125 stacks, although I guess they’re just facades on whatever modern bass amps he uses?
    IIRC, he had a run of AC30/AC50 derived amps made in the early 90s... and they were actually made by Marshall, because Vox were built by them at that time. They were heads and cabinets (4x12 guitar, 2x10 + 1x15 bass) - I played through one of the AC30 head and 4x12 set ups back in the day and it was incredible (not Macca's but built around the same time as a 'custom shop' thing).
    He usually uses an "AC30" for his guitar tone - but whether the amp chassis within those heads are still the same as they were isn't clear. 

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11763
    mikenetic said:
    Yep - the Troy Van Leeuwen signatures are made in Mexico. I've played one, and it was a very very good guitar.

At £1500, they should be.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    impmann said:
    JezWynd said:
    Maton Fyrbyrd 12 String the guy with Crowded House was playing is very cool. Belongs to Neil apparently...

That's one of Neil's favourite guitars and he's had it a very long time. It replaced the Danelectro 12 used in the studio for Woodface - they used to tour with a Jerry Jones Dano replica too but the Maton became a firm live favourite around the time of Together Alone and then onto the solo stuff. Absolutely epic sounding guitar.

Shame it's Liam and his hamfisted playing rather than the exquisite Mark Hart, who is sorely missed as a musician.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BubbaBubba Frets: 14
    mark123 said:

I asked earlier in this thread if anyone knew the story behind the children holding their hands in the air Les Paul but no answers yet.
    From TPP - https://www.thepaintedplayer.co.uk/copy-of-beatles-sgt-pepper-les-paul

McCartney's "Crowd Goes Wild" Les Paul was produced for use during the "International Day of Happiness" concerts and featured prominently on the album "Memory Almost Full".  Transformed into a 10ft replica for Gibson's celebrated Guitartown Charity Exhibition held in London 2007, it has remained a popular fixture in McCarntey's line-up of beautiful guitars.  Featuring a cartoon crowd of all nations and religions joined together in the celebration, this is a rare example of musical art that has a powerful message behind it - surely, the ambition of any great musician.

I happened to meet the artist who painted Macca’s Les Paul when she received it direct from Gibson... It was without any paint or finish, naked from the factory & yet still gleamed out of it’s case, very very cool.

I’ll look up the artist’s name later. She & her partner were very nice & came to say hello to me when I was looking a little lost at a drinks meet on the Southbank for the artists painting the 10ft tall guitars (Rod Stewart’s was mine =) ).

It’s amazing Macca still uses that guitar all the time since, he must genuinely love it. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    impmann said:
    JezWynd said:

Shame it's Liam and his hamfisted playing rather than the exquisite Mark Hart, who is sorely missed as a musician.
    Hamfisted is a little unkind... but I agree that Mark Hart had a superior touch and feel for their stuff. But then again, I miss Hester's drums far more - there's a lightness and swing missing. Neil himself has said the same.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    What was that guitar, the guy from Warmduscher was playing?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    impmann said:
    Hamfisted is a little unkind... but I agree that Mark Hart had a superior touch and feel for their stuff. But then again, I miss Hester's drums far more - there's a lightness and swing missing. Neil himself has said the same.

Tim-  Hessie was a genius of a drummer- he had that Aboriginal/Maori feel that nobody has ever nailed quite like he did. Really a great as a drummer.

Mark Hart's firing wasn't handled well. His innovation and solidity is sorely missed and removes some real high spots out of the CH show.

Liam is truly dreadful as a musician- he's living proof that blood is thicker than water.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    Gassage said:
    impmann said:

Tim-  Hessie was a genius of a drummer- he had that Aboriginal/Maori feel that nobody has ever nailed quite like he did. Really a great as a drummer.

Mark Hart's firing wasn't handled well. His innovation and solidity is sorely missed and removes some real high spots out of the CH show.

Liam is truly dreadful as a musician- he's living proof that blood is thicker than water.
    What is the Aboriginal Feel???
    Liam ain't that bad!
  • I have a great deal of history with the Finns - first time I saw them was the second gig Split Enz ever played over here (1975?) full on pierot etc. I’ve seen them many times since - the crucial and blindingly obvious thing about them (especially Neil) is the amount of fun (mucking about, joking etc) woven into their performances along with stellar music. If Neil has more fun playing with his sons then more power to him, I’ll think myself lucky to see it. 
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    DiscoStu said:
    Was Skin from Skunk Anansie playing a - shock horror - Harley Benton Tele? The headstock outline looked very HB but the logo didn't.
    I've found out that it was an Alusonic (Italian) signature model:
    https://www.alusonic.com/hybrid-guitar-t90skin.php

I also noted it was rather cool. Skunk Anansie had more than one of this brand on show.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3333

DiscoStu said:
    Was Skin from Skunk Anansie playing a - shock horror - Harley Benton Tele? The headstock outline looked very HB but the logo didn't.
    I've found out that it was an Alusonic (Italian) signature model:
    https://www.alusonic.com/hybrid-guitar-t90skin.php

I also noted it was rather cool. Skunk Anansie had more than one of this brand on show.
    Skin was a Judge on Italian X Factor, so that may be the link 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Fantastic sounding guitar too. And he's a Mastery guy :)

I loved the filth that emanated from the hybrid tele thing - is it a sustainer bridge pickup ?

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1340
    Gassage said:
    impmann said:

What is the Aboriginal Feel???
    Liam ain't that bad!
    Watching the Crowded House set made me realise I really have to up my game as regards harmony vocals.
    Neil Finn and his son were on-point throughout.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...