IK Multimedia TONEX Pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25278
    Can an iPad be used to loads tones into the pedal or does it have to be a PC/Mac?

ta

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can an iPad be used to loads tones into the pedal or does it have to be a PC/Mac?

ta
    Pc/Mac only sadly. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5705
    Have I missed something big here? 

Can I connect the Tonex Pedal to FOH and an FRFR cab at the same time? I can't see that configuration in the manual and that's one of the reasons I bought it.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1196
    edited August 17
    DiscoStu said:

Can I connect the Tonex Pedal to FOH and an FRFR cab at the same time? I can't see that configuration in the manual and that's one of the reasons I bought it.
    Yes just run the left output to the FRFR and the right output to FOH or vice versa.
    DiscoStu said:

Yes just run the left output to the FRFR and the right output to FOH or vice versa.
    Phew! Cheers.
    This is all new to me and I still have to get an FRFR amp. Got a gig in a month!
    The software is a stone cold atrocity.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 17
    IK seem to view this as a hardware add-on for Amplitube whereas the majority of real-world users probably view this as a programmable pedal.
    If they launched a separate Tonex app along the lines of the Positive Grid Spark app it would be so much more fun to use.
    I now realise how spoiled I’ve been with my Helix.

The IK people need to be made to walk with Lego in their shoes until they apologise. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I mean, how hard can it be? 
    Trying to use it to its full potential sucks all the joy out of it.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4957
    DiscoStu said:
    IK seem to view this as a hardware add-on for Amplitube whereas the majority of real-world users probably view this as a programmable pedal.
    If they launched a separate Tonex app along the lines of the Positive Grid Spark app it would be so much more fun to use.
    They definitely started off by positioning the pedal as an extra device for people who have made a commitment to Tonex on the computer but would like to leave the computer at home when they go out to play a gig or whatever. 

I suspect they've been surprised by players who have no desire to use software plugins at home and are more familiar with the way Boss and Line 6 work with their editors for their modellers. I've no desire to capture my own amps, just play through good quality captures when I can't use my own amp in the room. 

I've auditioned captures on the computer, moved them to the pedal and then dealt with the fact they don't sound quite the same and edited them further on the pedal. I'd hate to be doing that with a One. That seems far too fiddly. 

But a nice capture on the pedal does sound good and feels better to play through than anything else I've used - so it's the best solution for me if the amp isn't a possibility and I'm not looking for anything better. 
    I’ve found some captures I really like that don’t need a lot of tweaking.
    So far I’m only using amp + cab captures and then adding a physical overdrive pedal etc. Quicker to adjust then.

It sounds ace, and I’m really hoping IK revamp the software completely, including having a tablet control / library system. 

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1646
    Software tipped me over the edge enough to sell mine, within a week.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 1088
    nero1701 said:
    Software tipped me over the edge enough to sell mine, within a week.
    I don't get the hate.

Yes it could be better but 99% of the time I'm playing my tonex not playing with software.

When I got it I spent half a day downloading a bunch of captures, then loaded them all on my pedal.

After that I unplugged from the computer and just tweaked on the pedal to decide which ones I was keeping.

Then when back to the computer to reorganize them and that was that. 

Maybe others have a different workflow but I like the pedal so much that I'm going to live with the software imperfections.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4139
    The issue with the software for me was perhaps that my expectations were entirely wrong. It was really frustrating as I was aspecting a similar experience to Helix.

I still don’t think it’s great, but now I have adapted to it I can get some great sounds.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10260
    To be honest i find the helix software quite frustrating as well
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    How are you guys amplifying the Tonex?

In the house I’m running into a studio monitor (HS7) as a tiny lounge rig, but what about for live? 

In the house I’m running into a studio monitor (HS7) as a tiny lounge rig, but what about for live? 
    At home I'm putting it in to a THR10 set to FLAT mode and it sounds great for bedroom, much better than the THR itself which I already thought sounded good. 

Live, I'm waiting to get a Fender FR-10 but everywhere is out of stock just now
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 1088

Direct to pa for foh then I have a wedge monitor fed from the pa for  my sound.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2496
    Just got my ToneX and the Capture device as well - man the software is a bit weird. Hoping to capture the DI's from my amps later... will report back!
    FarleyUK said:
    Just got my ToneX and the Capture device as well - man the software is a bit weird. Hoping to capture the DI's from my amps later... will report back!
    When using the software keep a distance from all sharp objects, poisons, and other weapons capable of being used for self harm and or launching a thermonuclear attack on the HQ of IK.