The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    capo4th said:
    I fell asleep last night on the sofa. 

What is the general concenus on how a governemnt will be formed?

Coalitions or a Tory minority governemnt and a second election in the near future?

318 tory + 10 DUP = majority
    but pretty fragile

I would not expect it to last

Boris as new PM, another election in the next 9 months
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    capo4th said:
    I voted for the long term future of the British economy and a safe pair of hands dealing with Brexit.

These two factors will take care of things financially for the country. I am happy to pay thousands in taxes every month but would hate to see it frittered away by a Labour government which if elected would also cost my family thousands of extra pounds.
    Heh.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited June 2017
       =)Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....Get in....!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note, time to overhaul the electoral system like we should have in 2011. Then work on our mass media, we are ranked 40th in the world for freedom of the press, 40th in the world! Think about that for a moment, our lovely, free, democratic, honest, UK, only 40th in the world. What Corbyn has pulled off against a virtual media bluewash and vicious smear campaign may as well have been a victory.

ICBM is right above in terms of what to do next.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Confirmed May is staying on as PM and will look to form a coalition government. Conservatives have the most seats and the most votes. 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    capo4th said:
    I voted for the long term future of the British economy and a safe pair of hands dealing with Brexit.

These two factors will take care of things financially for the country. I am happy to pay thousands in taxes every month but would hate to see it frittered away by a Labour government which if elected would also cost my family thousands of extra pounds.
    Heh.
    Heh? 
    Fretwired said:
    underdog said:
    Fretwired said:

Fretwired said:

As for lazy stereotypes- you started it ;)
    What? By mentioning one doctor I know. I didn't generalise about doctors.

The comment people vote with their wallets stands up to scrutiny - if your wallet is empty and you can't make ends meet you tend to vote Labour and if you're very well off  you'll tend to vote for the Tories. The two main parties are mainly fighting over the votes people in the middle.

What if you're well off but feel that a country that looks after its poor, sick and young is more important than being a bit better off? 
    That's me .. I voted Labour.
    Me too.

I voted against my wallet. Because it was the right thing to do.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    capo4th said:
    Confirmed May is staying on as PM and will look to form a coalition government. Conservatives have the most seats and the most votes. 
    just not a strong and stable one though, eh?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    Total chaos, but we got quite a few moments of joy from it - Clegg, Salmond and Robertson were Portillo'd.

Bad result for the SNP but I suspect Nicola will be quite pleased that Alex is gone.
    capo4th said:
    With who?

Sinn Fein?

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    edited June 2017
    DUP, c&s?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    edited June 2017
    That one seat the Tories picked up in Richmond could have made quite a difference if May can get a deal with the DUP, since it now gives a majority.

Terrible result for the SNP - and I suspect the Scottish Tory surge is largely a vote for Ruth Davidson and not for May… but it's saved May from an even worse disaster unfortunately.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I know.

DUP is about the only choice. Ultra right anti Europe fuckwits.

Great. 

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    She may have decided to stay on.... But the knives are well and truly out. I give her a week.

If she's propped up purely by the DUP the country won't stand for that anymore than they would if Labour were propped up by the SNP.

This is going to get messy. I think we'll be back at the polls in September. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader
    Precisely why I don't vote : Northern Ireland is pretty much DUP vs Sinn Fein. Protestant vs Catholic. Narrow minded bigots vs narrow minded bigots.

Good luck to the political landscape. May has shot herself in the foot.
    I wonder if Sinn Fein would take their seats to lower DUP influence.

• pauladspaulads Frets: 497
    capo4th said:

capo5th? any relation?

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    Seems to be the result everyone involved deserves. May won't go, but will be pushed - time will tell whether they push hard enough.

And we still won't get the electoral reform that would normalise this result and require parties to work together.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    edited June 2017
    I wonder that too. It would mean taking the Oath of Allegiance to the Queen, which is a big bridge for them to cross - but Martin McGuinness has already bowed to her and shaken her hand, which was possibly an even bigger one (for both of them).

Seems to be the result everyone involved deserves. May won't go, but will be pushed - time will tell whether they push hard enough.

And we still won't get the electoral reform that would normalise this result and require parties to work together.
    Agreed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25001
    paulads said:
    capo4th said:

capo5th? any relation?

Genius!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I wonder that too. It would mean taking the Oath of Allegiance to the Queen, which is a big bridge for them to cross - but Martin McGuinness has already bowed to her and shaken her hand, which was possibly an even bigger one (for both of them).

Agreed.
    Don't underestimate how McGuinnesses loss will affect the future of Sinn Fein. He may have been a hated man to those who suffered at his hands BUT he was the voice of peace for the party that they are now missing.

Gerry and Michelle at them helm... you can be guarenteed that they'll be pushing for a United Ireland. And I'll be packing my family up to move to Scotland!