The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Fretwired said:
    Getting Osborne back may be a bit hard, unless they force a by-election somewhere. The tories need somebody who will appeal to the young, straight talking, internet savvy. However I can't think of anyone at the moment who would fit.

In other breaking news Nuttal is standing down. £10 that Farage will step in as leader again.
    May does a Cameron and Osborne steps up to the plate. Osborne is also a remainer. We can't leave the EU in this state.

The German press is having a field day .. Headline (rough translation) .. "Thatcher was the iron lady, May is the wobbly lady" .. she can't show her face outside the UK as she's a worldwide laughing stock.
    Which paper, I'm at home today, so didn't get to smirk at the headlines on the way to work!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    May is due to start the journey from number 10 to Buckingham Palace about 12:30.  Wonder if she'll send Amber Rudd instead.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30131
    a sense of bewilderment as to quite where the UK is heading.
    In mathematics I believe it is referred to as "a random walk".
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Fretwired said:

I've been told there's a move to get Osborne back as leader. May is toast - if she tries to hang on they'll be a rebellion.
    That'd be a massive error, the guy's had a charisma-ectomy he has the charm of a door knob. They need a soft-brexit, centrist, working class tory bruiser - a younger Ken Clark type (wonder if he's available? ;) ).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    It really is almost 1974 all over again.

Expect another election in the autumn in which Corbyn wins a very narrow majority.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Fretwired said:
    Getting Osborne back may be a bit hard, unless they force a by-election somewhere. The tories need somebody who will appeal to the young, straight talking, internet savvy. However I can't think of anyone at the moment who would fit.

In other breaking news Nuttal is standing down. £10 that Farage will step in as leader again.
    May does a Cameron and Osborne steps up to the plate. Osborne is also a remainer. We can't leave the EU in this state.

The German press is having a field day .. Headline (rough translation) .. "Thatcher was the iron lady, May is the wobbly lady" .. she can't show her face outside the UK as she's a worldwide laughing stock.
    Which paper, I'm at home today, so didn't get to smirk at the headlines on the way to work!

Der Spiegel

'Die eiernde Lady' - the wobbly lady

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Jalapeno said:
    Fretwired said:

I've been told there's a move to get Osborne back as leader. May is toast - if she tries to hang on they'll be a rebellion.
    That'd be a massive error, the guy's had a charisma-ectomy he has the charm of a door knob. They need a soft-brexit, centrist, working class tory bruiser - a younger Ken Clark type (wonder if he's available? ;) ).
    I think the view is they need a professional, charisma or not, who has the respect of the EU (which Osborne does). I can't see how Brexit can happen with the current mess. Another referendum would be chaotic. I think Osborne could take the Tories back to the centre ground, abandon Brexit and win back the metropolitan remain voters who deserted the Tories in the cities. Osborne was also liked by the City so I think it's a better the devil you know. Boris is the wrong guy as is IDS and Gove and Rudd would be seen as May mark two.

The next election will be about Corbyn and his bold abandoning of austerity and fiscal responsibility under the Tories. Brexit has to be put on hold or abandoned. I don't think any deal would be agreed by parliament.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

Der Spiegel

:)

And who says the Germans have no sense of humour?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5314
    edited June 2017
    Fretwired said:

Der Spiegel

The pun works much better if you're bilingual. The Thatcher biopic was called "Die Eiserne Lady" in Germany.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    a sense of bewilderment as to quite where the UK is heading.
    In mathematics I believe it is referred to as "a random walk".

Quantum politics. The conservatives both won and lost. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Does that make the UK an eigenstate?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Does that make the UK an eigenstate?

Brilliant! 
    This stuff practically writes itself.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader
    Well done UK. You may have voted Tory but I'll bet you wouldn't vote DUP! 

This is why I don't vote. Over here it's DUP or Sinn Fein. I'm not Protestant or catholic. And I'm not from here.

You want anti gay policies? DUP
    Anti abortion? DUP
    Ex terrorist links? DUP

And where's their policies? That's right, the King James Bible.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6310
    The mainstream media, esp. the printed variety has been proved to be completely ineffectual. Despite telling the country that Corbyn was a disaster, May was essential etc. it looks like a vast swathe of the electorate voted not with their wallet but with their conscience. Paul Dacre's probably foaming at the mouth this morning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    Some thoughts from Iain Dale's column on Conservative Home:

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2017/06/iain-dale-no-corbyn-hasnt-pulled-off-a-triumph-a-defeat-is-a-defeat-is-a-defeat.html

"Yet again people like me, the so-called people in the know, have been completely confounded. Virtually no one saw this coming. I’m man enough to admit it. The Great British Public delight in sticking two fingers up to politicians who sometimes take them for granted, and to the political media who think they – we – know better than others.

You won’t find many political journalists, pollsters or commentators admitting they got it wrong – wholly wrong, so let me be the first to say. I. Got. It. Wrong. Wholly wrong. I should have listened more to the callers on my radio show, who’ve been phoning in to my show day after day week after week. I assumed that it was just the enthusiasts who were calling in, but it clearly went deeper than that.

I ridiculed YouGov and Survation for their methodology, as did all the other pollsters. But they had the last laugh, and the likes of me owe them an apology. And bloody well done to John Curtice, whose Exit Poll was yet again on the money. A senior Tory texted me just before it was published to say it was “implausible”. That went well."

That's bullshit. People did see it coming. The problem is that folk like Dale, people whose lives revolve around slagging off other political groups in the company of likeminded media types, don't bother looking beyond their own little sphere. Iain, those people called your show! They tweeted you! They ran signs in your face but you still couldn't see or hear or understand what they were saying. 

John Curtice should be given honours for services to political sanity.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    From Twitter : "Let's have a moment of silence for the poor soul who has to explain 'Hung Parliament' to Trump"
    Just show him the picture of Corbyn and Emily Thornberry and he'll get it...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5314
    Measured, insightful, incisive. Political journalism at its best.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145

If I were Theresa May, I'd be getting Paul Nuttall into the House of Lords for 'services to the Conservative Party'.