The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437

capo4th said:
    Corbyn did convince a lot of inexperienced young people to vote Labour with a fantasy wish list manifesto.

Social media has played a big part I genuinely believe that the vast majority of his manifesto would never have got off the ground if he had been elected. 

Too far fetched and disasterous for business but many people believed him and his policies.
    Will this reach Twitter levels of stupidity?

There are already people on there claiming that young "kids" don't know shit and perhaps the voting age should be raised to 25.

Absolute tossers. 

I think it is excellent that 75% of the 18 to 25 year olds voted. That is exactly what democracy should be.
    I thinks it's great that young people voted but they were voting Labour based on Labours fantasy soundbite policies that were totally unachievable in the real world.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    Corbyn did convince a lot of inexperienced young people to vote Labour with a fantasy wish list manifesto.

What's fair about saddling someone with £40K worth of debt? Did you pay university fees? Maybe Corbyn's messages resonated with an electorate who were fed up with austerity and cuts to their public services and wage stagnation whilst some in society got richer. If May and her team couldn't work that out then they shouldn't be in politics.

A question on student loans - are these interest free loans - compound interest (doubt that) - fixed interest rate or variable tied into BOE base rate

ditto same question on USA Loans - I heard USA Student loans are now only slightly below the UK Government total debt of 1.7 trillion
    Very low costs loans at the time I believe mine were at around 2% int
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Jalapeno said:
    Fretwired said:
    Didn't see this coming .. DUP will support the Tories, but not May. She has to go.
    Think you're conflating DUP overnight comments and the morning's political intrigue ;)
    Not to say that she ISN'T just a caretaker ......
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25501
    capo4th said:

capo4th said:

Social media has played a big part I genuinely believe that the vast majority of his manifesto would never have got off the ground if he had been elected. 

Too far fetched and disasterous for business but many people believed him and his policies.
    Will this reach Twitter levels of stupidity?

There are already people on there claiming that young "kids" don't know shit and perhaps the voting age should be raised to 25.

Absolute tossers. 

I think it is excellent that 75% of the 18 to 25 year olds voted. That is exactly what democracy should be.
    I thinks it's great that young people voted but they were voting Labour based on Labours fantasy soundbite policies that were totally unachievable in the real world.
    Wow.  Let me add you to my contacts list under "Oracle".  You are obviously the go-to guy for answers if you have the ability to state why millions of people voted the way they did.  Clever stuff !
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Any time bud
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Salient points:
    May ran a truly crap campaign and never looked happy or confident doing it.
    Candidates to replace May will spend the summer sounding out what support they have before the push starting late September for a new leader.
    Corbyn superbly wrongfooted her on the TV debate, and she looked stupid and weak for not turning up.
    Labour attracted a huge amount of anti-Tory and anti-Brexit vote, so Corbyn would be foolish to think he was the attraction.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    So pleased to see Sturgeon humiliated :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937

Wrong and feeble, wrong and feeble! Treeza, you are a grade-A fucknut :lol: !

It's not the result I find surprising, but that so many people actually thought Mayhem was in anyway strong and stable. A career of bullshit, lies, missed targets and very poor political judgment and she's still trying to claim she offers stability :lol: . I can understand people having no time for any of the other parties, but how does anyone other than the most blind and subservient of Tories go along with her shit, presumably they're the sort who believe it really is a Nigerian prince emailing them :confounded: 

• HoofHoof Frets: 562
    So who will replace May? She won the leadership contest against a total shower of shite who surely won't be considered for leadership again.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned him so far, but I'd suggest Michael Fallon as a potential successor. I don't like him - he's the nuclear first strike nut - but in the campaign he was one of the most visible Tories and probably the steadiest. He's 65 so wouldn't be a long-term replacement, but right now that's probably the least of their worries.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    And to think, all of this because David Cameron gave us a referendum on leaving the European Union. 

He'll go down in history as the man who made the Tories more popular, before caving in to daft rhetoric, failibg to negotiate a better deal with the EU and finally thinking it would be a great idea to bank on the public not giving him two fingers and saying the result of the referendum is final. 

Cheers, Dave. 

He caved into significant elements within his own party who had their own agenda (mostly revolving around a more traditional Conservative approach that wasn't the more liberal approach DC and Gobby took the party). That's been well established.

Folk with their own agenda like Lord Ashcroft who ramped up the anti-Cameron element with Piggate. The same Lord Ashcroft whose website was predicting a majority of 76 on Thursday. 

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2017/06/estimated-conservative-majority-rises-final-ashcroft-model-update/

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    The Orange Lady
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• SporkySporky Frets: 30131
    Surely given that she called an early general election with the intention of boosting her majority, and instead lost it entirely, May is now the Irony Lady?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    It's a shame Jim Callaghan died in 2005. He thought he might be remembered as the worst prime minister of the last 200 years… if only he'd lived another twelve years and a few months he would have been able to sleep quite soundly knowing he had at least three below him.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ICBM said:
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned him so far, but I'd suggest Michael Fallon as a potential successor. I don't like him - he's the nuclear first strike nut - but in the campaign he was one of the most visible Tories and probably the steadiest. He's 65 so wouldn't be a long-term replacement, but right now that's probably the least of their worries.
    Bookies are going for Boris ... Fallon's too old .. the Tories could end up with 4 leaders in 5-7 years if he decides to quit in his early 70s.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    capo4th said:
    capo4th said:

Now you're a business expert too?
    Yes mate that's why I earn a large salary, vote Tory and would have been clobbered by Labours tax plans
    that says it all
    I'm alright jack ,fuck everyone else
    greed and selfishness
    the tory mantra
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    May's speech beggars belief.

The TL;DR version is she wanted a mandate. Didn't get it. Is carrying on regardless. Disgusting.
  • BorkBork Frets: 265
    Sporky said:
    Surely given that she called an early general election with the intention of boosting her majority, and instead lost it entirely, May is now the Irony Lady?
    The Conserverative party leadership could probably benefit from a hip replacement.

[This space for rent]

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    I reckon the Yorkshire Nine would make a good stab at the leadership, with maybe Starey Scary Man as Brexit secretary.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Sporky said:
    And that she and her supporters spent weeks on end calling Corbyn a terrorist sympathiser, when she's just made a deal with former Irish paramilitary group, and religious bigot squad, the DUP?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom