The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6287
    The whole thing is bizarre and stupid. yet again, a woefully out of touch Tory leader has misjudged the public and precipitated an unneccessary situation. Theresa May should be ashamed and embarrassed.

Yet, the bizarre part is that the Tories increased their number of votes, and can rightly claim they won the election,but find themselves heavily weakened.

Much as I don't like or agree with his policies, Corbyn has defied the odds, and has played a bit of a blinder, particulary by courting the young vote. Whether his policies were hot air or not, he convinced lots of people to vote for them, and certainly cements his position and brand of politics.

The upside of this all may be that we get a less fractious Brexit, and possibly in reality, no Brexit at all, as we stay in the single market. Maybe we will even get another referendum on the final deal. As a remainer, that is good to me.

Good to see Nichola Sturgeon finally haviing to facer reality in that Scotland want to stay in the UK.

For the future, I would like to see May pack in and Ruth Davidson take over.

All in though, what a bloody mess, caused by a bunch of arrogant pillocks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited June 2017
    Corbyn did convince a lot of inexperienced young people to vote Labour with a fantasy wish list manifesto.

Social media has played a big part I genuinely believe that the vast majority of his manifesto would never have got off the ground if he had been elected. 

Too far fetched and disasterous for business but many people believed him and his policies.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8062
    capo4th said:
    Corbyn did convince a lot of inexperienced young people to vote Labour with a fantasy wish list manifesto.

Social media has played a big part I genuinely believe that the vast majority of his manifesto would never have got off the ground if he had been elected. 

Too far fetched and disasterous for business but many people believed him and his policies.
    Now you're a business expert too?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    capo4th said:

Too far fetched and distorts for business but many people believed him and his policies.
    Young people voted, but Labour supporters didn't defect to the Tories as was thought they would - that was the key issue. R4 interviewed some guys in a fencing factory in Wolverhampton .. one guy was going to vote Tory until he heard about fox hunting (that would have alienated a lot of people) which made him switch back to Labour, but some others were reminded of her time as Home Secretary .. they didn't think she was strong enough with the terrorists, didn't like the fact she cut 20,000 police and didn't like her record on immigration so thought her weak. It's on iPlayer if you want to listen. The young had a big effect in university towns and many remain voters got revenge on the Tories by voting against them. Factor in a poor campaign a wobbly leader and the car crash was there for all to see.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:

What's fair about saddling someone with £40K worth of debt? Did you pay university fees? Maybe Corbyn's messages resonated with an electorate who were fed up with austerity and cuts to their public services and wage stagnation whilst some in society got richer. If May and her team couldn't work that out then they shouldn't be in politics.

The Tories might like to look at their government photo. All the ministers are white, bar two Asians, and 90 per cent are multi-millionaires. Hardly likely to connect with the working class.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • And to think, all of this because David Cameron gave us a referendum on leaving the European Union. 

He'll go down in history as the man who made the Tories more popular, before caving in to daft rhetoric, failibg to negotiate a better deal with the EU and finally thinking it would be a great idea to bank on the public not giving him two fingers and saying the result of the referendum is final. 

Cheers, Dave. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    capo4th said:

Will this reach Twitter levels of stupidity?

There are already people on there claiming that young "kids" don't know shit and perhaps the voting age should be raised to 25.

Absolute tossers. 

I think it is excellent that 75% of the 18 to 25 year olds voted. That is exactly what democracy should be.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
    Didn't see this coming .. DUP will support the Tories, but not May. She has to go.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Maybe we should have a cut off age for voting at 75, after all what do they know about the "real world"...
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15379
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

What's fair about saddling someone with £40K worth of debt? Did you pay university fees? Maybe Corbyn's messages resonated with an electorate who were fed up with austerity and cuts to their public services and wage stagnation whilst some in society got richer. If May and her team couldn't work that out then they shouldn't be in politics.

A question on student loans - are these interest free loans - compound interest (doubt that) - fixed interest rate or variable tied into BOE base rate

ditto same question on USA Loans - I heard USA Student loans are now only slightly below the UK Government total debt of 1.7 trillion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

A question on student loans - are these interest free loans - compound interest (doubt that) - fixed interest rate or variable tied into BOE base rate

ditto same question on USA Loans - I heard USA Student loans are now only slightly below the UK Government total debt of 1.7 trillion
    Some colleges for some courses in the USA charge $80,000 for a year.

Even with no interest it's crippling.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25501
    May is finished.  Westminster is gently humming to the sound of blades on sharpening stones.  She is badly wounded and publicly humiliated.  I can see another election this summer.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Fretwired said:
    I think the view is they need a professional, charisma or not, who has the respect of the EU (which Osborne does). I can't see how Brexit can happen with the current mess. Another referendum would be chaotic. I think Osborne could take the Tories back to the centre ground, abandon Brexit and win back the metropolitan remain voters who deserted the Tories in the cities. Osborne was also liked by the City so I think it's a better the devil you know. Boris is the wrong guy as is IDS and Gove and Rudd would be seen as May mark two.

add Dave Davis to that list

IMHO Rudd not so much (she'll be very busy shoring up her home vote though) - I agree she'd be portrayed as May II, but she's impressed me as far more competent and professional than May (in the campaign anyway, not really paid much attention to her as Home Secretary).
    Fretwired said:
    The next election will be about Corbyn and his bold abandoning of austerity and fiscal responsibility under the Tories. Brexit has to be put on hold or abandoned. I don't think any deal would be agreed by parliament.
    Whoever it is has a mountain to climb to shift the agenda from Jezza's vision - he's played a blinder (and he'd have romped it if he'd eased off the re-nationalisation and other marxist dogma - too many people with the vote remember the winter of discontent)

I think it would be a brave Tory who opted for ANOTHER election so soon !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited June 2017
    Fretwired said:
    Didn't see this coming .. DUP will support the Tories, but not May. She has to go.

Something else - labour gain Kensington. 

Just heard it on BBC news. What? 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Fretwired said:
    Where did you read that?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Fretwired said:
    Think you're conflating DUP overnight comments and the morning's political intrigue ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2065
    edited June 2017
    Fretwired said:

The Tories were demanding recount after recount on that one....great use of public money.

Actually, just looked at BBC site now....can't see that declaration only a statement about a 3rd recount to commence at 18:00?
  • exocet said:
    Fretwired said:

The Tories were demanding recount after recount on that one....great use of public money.

To be honest I don't believe it really. 

May's speech was very short. Confirmed brexit negotiations will go ahead as planned, and using support from the DUP. 

Interesting times ahead. Sounds more like an informal relationship with them. Potentially a bit mad, considering some of the views of the DUP. 
    capo4th said:

Now you're a business expert too?
    Yes mate that's why I earn a large salary, vote Tory and would have been clobbered by Labours tax plans
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

The Tories might like to look at their government photo. All the ministers are white, bar two Asians, and 90 per cent are multi-millionaires. Hardly likely to connect with the working class.
    I didn't pay fees as my parents were poor.

I did leave university with about £15000 debt though 20 years ago 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom