The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28017
    edited June 2017
    I wonder if Sinn Fein would take their seats to lower DUP influence.
    Well, they'd make a huge difference - without them taking their seats, the magic number is only 322 votes - assuming no rebellions or abstentions, every other party would have to be united in order for them to ram their agenda through.

That's about as unlikely as it gets, except maybe on the bigger and more contentious issues.

I suspect the only main result of all this will be a softening of May's rhetoric and policies, since she can no longer claim a mandate for anything (that's been the mainstay of her entire tenure thus far). That could well turn out to be the best result in an election where nobody was truly worth voting for.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited June 2017
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DB2HlDuV0AA13Vo.jpg
    This picture from the results summed up politics for me at the moment.  
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    I wonder if Sinn Fein would take their seats to lower DUP influence.
    Well, they'd make a huge difference - without them taking their seats, the magic number is only 322 votes - assuming no rebellions or abstentions, every other party would have to be united in order for them to ram their agenda through.

That's about as unlikely as it gets, except maybe on the bigger and more contentious issues.

I suspect the only main result of all this will be a softening of May's rhetoric and policies, since she can no longer claim a mandate for anything (that's been the mainstay of her entire tenure thus far). That could well turn out to be the best result in an election where nobody was truly worth voting for.
    I have now discovered that Sinn Fein CANNOT take their seats.

its in their constitution.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Is it just me, or does Boris look like Ed Sheeran without a stuck-on beard in that pic?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7491
    Hung parliament isnt a bad result given the options this time round imo.

I voted libdem but conservatives held my constituency. If this serves as nothing more than a vehicle to get rid of Theresa May and another election in Sept then it's still a net win I reckon.

Conservatives really need to stop playing politics and focus on doing their jobs I mean in the last few years every risk theyve taken has back fired

Cameron's referendum
    Gove backstabbing Boris
    May's snap election

We need less of that bollocks and certainly less threats of ripping up human rights laws and the electorate has clearly shown that. I'm sure a lot of people like me who have voted conservative in the past feel the same way.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Hands up all those who think May will now answer a question with a straight answer? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    She'll be on the phone to the DUP right now.

Promising all sorts of crap to the anti-equality, anti-abortion, bible thumping fuckwits.

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3132
    tFB Trader
    Hands up all those who think May will now answer a question with a straight answer? 
    I think that it's very important that you've asked that question and that it's a very good question. What I would say to you is that it's been made very clear on several occasions that I do answer questions like this, and indeed no deal is better than a bad deal for a strong and stable Britain. Hope that's cleared that up. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Well, that depends on context...

Ooo - maybe no coalition with DUP if May stays?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25033
    paulads said:
    capo4th said:

Boris as new PM, another election in the next 9 months

capo5th? any relation?

Loving the way he frets behind the capo.  I'm trying to think of the prime ministerial equivalent.
    edited June 2017
    "May you live in interesting times."

or 

"May: You live in interesting times."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446

Promising all sorts of crap to the anti-equality, anti-abortion, bible thumping fuckwits.
    bigot.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:

bigot.
    Nah, he's right about them.
    They are climate change deniers, they are anti-abortion.
    The only real positive is they didn't favour a hard Brexit and don't want a border between ROI and NI.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30133
    Philly_Q said:
    Loving the way he frets behind the capo.  I'm trying to think of the prime ministerial equivalent.
    Pah. You fret behind a slide and everyone calls you a virtuoso. You fret behind a capo and the story's completely different. MAKE YOUR MINDS UP!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Pah. You fret behind a slide and everyone calls you a virtuoso. You fret behind a capo and the story's completely different. MAKE YOUR MINDS UP!
    FAKE NEWS!
  • Well, interesting result. Not entirely unexpected, although I'm surprised - I was still expecting a strongish majority for conservatives. 

May must be having a very nerve wracked day. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader

Ooo - maybe no coalition with DUP if May stays?
    Hard to believe that the people of Northern Ireland have kept that fucknugget at the helm. 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Interesting times it's all quite depressing although I am happy not to be facing massive tax and expenditure increases. I think May must carry on as PM and she will carry on with some kind of collaboration with the DUP. 

Expect large infrastucture improvements and investment in Ireland in the coming months....

I can't bring myself to check Labour supporters social media are they happy jubilant or what how is the Labour supporter mood?

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    One big plus is that we no longer have to listen to those two irritating Scottish cunts from the SNP.