The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Corbyn is still in cloud cuckoo land this morning ..

Jeremy Corbyn today claimed Labour had “won” the election despite the Conservatives gaining significantly more MPs.

He called on the Prime Minister to resign as Labour demanded the opportunity to form a minority government.

“We put forward our policies, strong and hopeful policies, and they gained an amazing response and traction,” he said.

“I think it’s pretty clear who won this election.”

Is he mad? No one has a majority and the conservatives are the largest party.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23146
    edited June 2017
    capo4th said:
    Interesting times it's all quite depressing although I am happy not to be facing massive tax and expenditure increases. I think May must carry on as PM and she will carry on with some kind of collaboration with the DUP. 

I believe she has to carry on as another change would be incredibly weak. But it's going to be very very interesting to see if there are any Remain Conservatives brave enough to rebel in the future. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Agreed we need strong and stable more than ever right now.

She has just confirmed a cup of tea with the queen at lunchtime to confirm she is carrying on as PM and will form a government.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6310
    capo4th said:
    Interesting times it's all quite depressing .....

Cheer up...

/gloating
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JezWynd said:
    capo4th said:
    Interesting times it's all quite depressing .....

Cheer up...

Depressing was maybe a touch strong.

Life goes on but this will have a big impact on the £, strength of pensions and investments Brexit and confidence in the UK economy which has a knock on effect for everyone. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30133
    capo4th said:

Is he mad? No one has a majority and the conservatives are the largest party.

He's a politician, so obviously he's overstating things, but essentially everyone but the DUP has said they won't form a coalition with the Conservatives which leaves them pretty much stuffed.

I think it's more a case that May lost the election than anyone won, but I can't say I'm not a fan of hung parliaments.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    DUP have confirmed an agreement with the Conservaties.

Anti-equality fuckwits with a nice sprinkle of young earth creationists too.

Some claimed Corbyn could drag the country back to the 1970s. 
    The DUP could drag it back to the 1700s

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

capo4th said:
    Agreed we need strong and stable more than ever right now.

She has just confirmed a cup of tea with the queen at lunchtime to confirm she is carrying on as PM and will form a government.
    Actually we need "pragmatic, humane, and good" more than ever right now and fuck knows how we'll get it with the Termaynator at the helm, bending down cap in hand to the DUP. Another PM, the third in just over a year, would make them look like a tremendous laughing stock. 

The fun times will come with any Conservative rebellion. Ken Clarke, one last bit of glorious fun maybe. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Remember I had a stop press and was told hung parliament/Corbyn win (if he's backed by SNL and Lib Dems). The hung parliament bit was right.

I've been told there's a move to get Osborne back as leader. May is toast - if she tries to hang on they'll be a rebellion.

And ... Brexit could be off. MPs from all sides think this could be a risk too far and Barnier has tweeted he's happy to change the timetable (code for kicking it into the long grass). May always was a remainer ... ;-)

As I said this could be pants but my source is reliable ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The DUP won't stay friends with the Tories for long.

3 weeks and they'll be arguments over gay rights, abortion, dinosaurs being real etc.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah lets cancel Brexit I have never been a fan 

3 weeks and they'll be arguments over gay rights, abortion, dinosaurs being real etc.
    It's about time we had a Flat Earth debate in Parliament. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Nuttjob has gone.
    Things are looking up already.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4851
    Getting Osborne back may be a bit hard, unless they force a by-election somewhere. The tories need somebody who will appeal to the young, straight talking, internet savvy. However I can't think of anyone at the moment who would fit.

In other breaking news Nuttal is standing down. £10 that Farage will step in as leader again.
    Getting Osborne back may be a bit hard, unless they force a by-election somewhere. The tories need somebody who will appeal to the young, straight talking, internet savvy. However I can't think of anyone at the moment who would fit.

In other breaking news Nuttal is standing down. £10 that Farage will step in as leader again.
    May does a Cameron and Osborne steps up to the plate. Osborne is also a remainer. We can't leave the EU in this state.

The German press is having a field day .. Headline (rough translation) .. "Thatcher was the iron lady, May is the wobbly lady" .. she can't show her face outside the UK as she's a worldwide laughing stock.

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692

Have a look at their voting record. They've been quietly backing the Tories on nearly every issue for a very long time.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.

Have a look at their voting record. They've been quietly backing the Tories on nearly every issue for a very long time.
    Yes the have - they want a hard Brexit though so I think @fretmeister is right. The Tories won't get a hard Brexit through parliament.

The real reason May had an election was to get a bigger majority that neutered the Tory left. There are at least 30+ Tory MPs who will never back a hard Brexit. Her problem was her own party, not Nick Clegg and co.

• May isn't going to last. Wouldn't be surprised if we have to repeat this whole business in a few months.

that said, being no longer resident in the UK I view all this from across the channel with some detachment and a sense of bewilderment as to quite where the UK is heading.

Yes.

And now they can pretty much name their price for continuing with that approach.

• snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    From Twitter : "Let's have a moment of silence for the poor soul who has to explain 'Hung Parliament' to Trump"
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom