The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    capo4th said:
    holnrew said:
    Can we take a moment to appreciate the fact that it's the highest ever number of female MPs? And without any artificial meddling
    Women are more rational and balanced they get things done.
    I know it's hard to believe, but technically TM is a woman...
    Yeah, so strong and stable :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Octafish said:
    capo4th said:
    holnrew said:
    Can we take a moment to appreciate the fact that it's the highest ever number of female MPs? And without any artificial meddling
    Women are more rational and balanced they get things done.
    I know it's hard to believe, but technically TM is a woman...
    Yeah, so strong and stable :lol: 
    I think @capo4th was suggesting TM is rational and balanced, which is of course different to strong and stable. 

Or not.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437

Moss said:
    capo4th said:
    Corbyn did convince a lot of inexperienced young people to vote Labour with a fantasy wish list manifesto.

Social media has played a big part I genuinely believe that the vast majority of his manifesto would never have got off the ground if he had been elected. 

Too far fetched and disasterous for business but many people believed him and his policies.
    I've tried remain pretty anonymous on here, but your post has enraged me to this point

I'm 17, slightly too young to vote, but actively engaged in politics

Let's put it this way - we have 2 choices, either:
    • Be guaranteed to be 40k in debt before going in to work, housing being so unaffordable that you're forced to stay with your parents, with the rich getting richer and many of the youth forced to work 2 or 3 jobs to keep up with student debt, housing and living costs
    • Take up a plan which is a too far-fetched, but actually acknowledges your existence and is hopeful for the future
    I am by no means a Corbynite, I'm still not entirely by his leadership, but frankly it was him or a continuation down the same path

The future's not exactly looking great
    Don't be enraged I was pointing out that many of Corbyns policies would simply not have been implemented. Experience tells you that most manifestos never actually happen in the real world due to uturns and opposition. A much watered down version is usually what happens.

Corbyn was selling pipe dreams and asking everyone else to pay for them.

We need to make changes in society and maybe today is a jumpstart to a more balanced approach.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:

Moss said:
    capo4th said:
    Corbyn did convince a lot of inexperienced young people to vote Labour with a fantasy wish list manifesto.

Social media has played a big part I genuinely believe that the vast majority of his manifesto would never have got off the ground if he had been elected. 

Too far fetched and disasterous for business but many people believed him and his policies.
    I've tried remain pretty anonymous on here, but your post has enraged me to this point

I'm 17, slightly too young to vote, but actively engaged in politics

Let's put it this way - we have 2 choices, either:
    • Be guaranteed to be 40k in debt before going in to work, housing being so unaffordable that you're forced to stay with your parents, with the rich getting richer and many of the youth forced to work 2 or 3 jobs to keep up with student debt, housing and living costs
    • Take up a plan which is a too far-fetched, but actually acknowledges your existence and is hopeful for the future
    I am by no means a Corbynite, I'm still not entirely by his leadership, but frankly it was him or a continuation down the same path

The future's not exactly looking great
    Don't be enraged I was pointing out that many of Corbyns policies would simply not have been implemented. Experience tells you that most manifestos never actually happen in the real world due to uturns and opposition. A much watered down version is usually what happens.

Corbyn was selling pipe dreams and asking everyone else to pay for them.

We need to make changes in society and maybe today is a jumpstart to a more balanced approach.
    Seems like our jumpstart to balanced approach includes anti abortion, homophobia, violent action to increase a political aim, subservience of women, and a fanatical devotion to not the pope. Oh, and nice green or orange uniforms.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I was referring to most women in general being rational and balanced and dare I say empathic.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6287
    Fretwired said:

Technically (Marx) the working class are people whose income is derived through working. It covered everyone from a chimney sweep to a university processor. The aristocracy didn't work nor did the 'capitalists' (people who owned the means of manufacture or distribution).

As society developed the middle class was a way of identifying the educated professional classes - doctors, teachers etc.

Yeah, precisely, that's all of us really. but my point is in this day and age, the definition is used to spark division and prejudice. It friggin stinks and I don't like people using it or bandying it around, like has been done in this thread somewhere. Its rubbish.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    capo4th said:
    I was referring to most women in general being rational and balanced and dare I say empathic.
    Sexist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    NOT WHEN THEY'RE ON THEIR PERIODS EH BOYS
    My V key is broken
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited June 2017
    I keep seeing people talking about 40k debt for students vs free education. Neither is true. Borrowing isn't purely for tuition fees, although that's a large chunk of it. I know several students who are only on their second year yet are already over 55k in debt. 

There are those who have a family that can afford to pay for them to spend 3 years plus in full time education, and those that can't. Let's not kid ourselves that ridding ourselves of the exorbitant fees will be an end to student debt. The difference is between leaving uni with a degree and a loan, or a degree and a mortgage sized hole in your finances for the first half of your working life. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    edited June 2017
    capo4th said:
    the tories seem very happy to take from the least well off,
    yet scream when it is suggested they can afford to pay more
    as for hard work
    try digging  the roads or other manual labour
    you might find its a little more exhausting then typing and talking
    If you paid £35000 a year in tax and a politicians manifesto was going to cost you another £6000
    would you be happy ? 

I grew up on a council estate, my parents had no money. I am working class.

Don't tell me about hard work and I won't apologise for where I am today as it's all through hard work over the last 20 years. I would still not class myself as rich due to having a massive mortgage to pay every month and I choose to send my son to a very good private school. 

poor you
    my heart bleeds for you
    try living on minimum wage
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    I keep seeing people talking about 40k debt for students vs free education. Neither is true. Borrowing isn't purely for tuition fees, although that's a large chunk of it. I know several students who are only on their second year yet are already over 55k in debt. 

There are those who have a family that can afford to pay for them to spend 3 years plus in full time education, and those that can't. Let's not kid ourselves that ridding ourselves of the exorbitant fees will be an end to student debt. The difference is between leaving uni with a degree and a loan, or a degree and a mortgage sized hole in your finances for the first half of your working life. 
    We could reduce the quantum of future student debt very easily.
    1) Make A Levels much harder again, a true test of education and a measure of achievement, not just a means to enter further education.
    2) Make university what it used to be, not a place to "study" applied arse-scratching for three years with no tangible benefit to anyone. Except the student loan companies, of course.
    3) Re-introduce polytechnics to assist with qualifications in practical skills that are not of sufficiently academic rigour to merit degree-level qualificati0ons. These practical qualifications would be the standard.

Oh, and let's not get confused over the difference between hard work and physical work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited June 2017
    capo4th said:
    as for hard work
    If you paid £35000 a year in tax and a politicians manifesto was going to cost you another £6000
    would you be happy ? 

Don't tell me about hard work and I won't apologise for where I am today as it's all through hard work over the last 20 years. I would still not class myself as rich due to having a massive mortgage to pay every month and I choose to send my son to a very good private school. 

And now you're not poor you'd rather make sure that you remain rich enough for you to send your child to private school than worry about kids not being able to have a hot meal in school,  we get it.

Growing up on a council estate means nothing, the fact is you consider your wealth before the needs of others less fortunate (or less hardworking to put a Tory spin on it)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    By the way, as an antidote to the political furore, have a listen to the full 9 minute video at the bottom of the page - it is absolutely hilarious
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2804
    So it looks like our brexit negotiations are going to be done by a Conservative Unionist Negotiating Team. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
    I have this image in my head of Arlene Foster leaning back in her chair, feet on the table, smoking a stogie and getting all her DUP colleagues to run a sweepstake on which sniveling Tory will be sent to lick her shoes. I'm hoping it's Gove!
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited June 2017
    capo4th said:
    as for hard work
    would you be happy ? 

I applaud you for being the self made man you are today.  Sounds like a right little Alan Sugar story!  I'm sure it was all down to sheer hard work and determination and at no point had elements of luck, right place right time or because someone at some point gave you a chance.  

Complaining of already paying more tax than the average uk salary is probably not going to gain you much sympathy but I understand that it is being used already to help support the UK infrastructure.   I don't quite get where your figures have come from though.  
    Paying £35k per year tax would put you at roughly £110k income range meaning about £1800 extras in tax under the measures Labour had proposed.  You'd have to be earning over £160k to get near the £6k extra you quoted.  Either way it wouldn't be right to have you put out of pocket, especially when you have chosen to own a property with such a high mortgage repayment.  

I'm assuming you have opted to pay a hefty price for your sons education because you feel the current opportunities the state provides aren't up to par, either that or you just like the uniform.   It does seem to point to the fact that despite your praise for the current goverment and your eagerness for them to continue as things are, you are not happy with the education they could provide your son so opted to send him else where.   Just think of the money you could save if the state education system was improved enough through proper funding  that you didn't have to have private school fees.  I'm sure that would be a far better saving than your £1.8-6k extra per year in tax!

Edit*  plus if your son decides to go to uni you'd be needing to pay the additional proposed tax payments for over 20 years to break even and cover his fees.  That seems a pretty good return.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2573
    Best thing about this election for me?  Dacre, Murdoch and the rest of the right-wing media cartel gave it everything, and still couldn't secure May a Conservative majority.  That's a big deal.  All future election campaigns will be going heavy on the social media from now on.
    YouTube yak-about regarding all things alt/indie/post-punk/noise/etc >>> HERE
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3682
    To be fair, Teresa May did warn us of a coalition of chaos propped up by extremist terrorist sympathisers. 
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom