The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Are you willing to denounce May for working with former terrorists yet? :) :) :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    No not yet I don't know enough about them to comment.
    Like all politicians May is a power hungry whore and will do anything for control.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Are you willing to denounce May for working with former terrorists yet? :) :) :)
    Are the DUP actually terrorists or just Irish politicians? 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    Douglas Adams:

“It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."
    "You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"
    "No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
    "Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
    "I did," said Ford. "It is."
    "So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't people get rid of the lizards?"
    "It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."
    "You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"
    "Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
    "But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
    "Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"
    "What?"
    "I said," said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"
    "I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."
    Ford shrugged again.
    "Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happenned to them," he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."
    "But that's terrible," said Arthur.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4th said:
    nickb_boy said:
    capo4th said:
    the tories seem very happy to take from the least well off,
    yet scream when it is suggested they can afford to pay more
    as for hard work
    try digging  the roads or other manual labour
    you might find its a little more exhausting then typing and talking
    If you paid £35000 a year in tax and a politicians manifesto was going to cost you another £6000
    would you be happy ? 

I grew up on a council estate, my parents had no money. I am working class.

Don't tell me about hard work and I won't apologise for where I am today as it's all through hard work over the last 20 years. I would still not class myself as rich due to having a massive mortgage to pay every month and I choose to send my son to a very good private school. 

I applaud you for being the self made man you are today.  Sounds like a right little Alan Sugar story!  I'm sure it was all down to sheer hard work and determination and at no point had elements of luck, right place right time or because someone at some point gave you a chance.  

Complaining of already paying more tax than the average uk salary is probably not going to gain you much sympathy but I understand that it is being used already to help support the UK infrastructure.   I don't quite get where your figures have come from though.  
    Paying £35k per year tax would put you at roughly £110k income range meaning about £1800 extras in tax under the measures Labour had proposed.  You'd have to be earning over £160k to get near the £6k extra you quoted.  Either way it wouldn't be right to have you put out of pocket, especially when you have chosen to own a property with such a high mortgage repayment.  

I'm assuming you have opted to pay a hefty price for your sons education because you feel the current opportunities the state provides aren't up to par, either that or you just like the uniform.   It does seem to point to the fact that despite your praise for the current goverment and your eagerness for them to continue as things are, you are not happy with the education they could provide your son so opted to send him else where.   Just think of the money you could save if the state education system was improved enough through proper funding  that you didn't have to have private school fees.  I'm sure that would be a far better saving than your £1.8-6k extra per year in tax!

Edit*  plus if your son decides to go to uni you'd be needing to pay the additional proposed tax payments for over 20 to break even and cover his fees.  That seems a pretty good return.  

I was certainly including the additional 20% VAT being added to private school fees. 

The schools standard and demographics where we live are not up to scratch so I make the choice to pay for my sons education. He loves school and sport and is extreamly happy. Difficult to put a price on that. 

A lot of luck, a few right place at the right time moments and a couple of people gave me a chance 100% 

Above all a lot of hard graft but I appreciate I am very fortunate. Mortgage payments running the house/bills and school fees / sports clubs eat up the bulk of my income. My choice - I want to give my son the best possible opportunity to succeed. We do not lead a rich lifestyle but do have a nice nice house. I own one very nice telecaster along with one amp and about 8 pedals. Not bought any guitar gear for about a year. I pay the bills and manage to stick a bit away for my son.

Seeing my income tax wasted on a grand scale does infuriate me and for Corbyn to ask for more the cheeky little fucker...

Despite our political differences, I can agree here. 

I wouldn't be against taxing the rich more, but that's *the rich* - 80k, for me, doesn't constitute rich even if it's some 4 and a bit times more than this graduate will be earning. 

What I would love to see is trident scrapped and replaced with a more useful, smaller system that could actually be used, less middle management in the NHS, less money down the toilet on all services (from NHS to politicians and their expenses, which is total bullshit). Better management of the money is some that both labour and the conservatives have utterly failed to do. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    capo4th said:
    Go and find my post then come back and call me a liar.

http://i.imgur.com/CxJwyIL.jpg

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    edited June 2017
    capo4th said:
    octatonic said:
    Are you willing to denounce May for working with former terrorists yet?
    you need to do a bit of reading, 
    Ian Paisley founded the DUP, his hate speeches were (I think) a large factor in the violence in NI

Paisley became involved in Ulster unionist/loyalist politics in the late 1950s. In the mid-late 1960s, he led and instigated loyalist opposition to the Catholic civil rights movement in Northern Ireland. This led to the outbreak of the Troubles in the late 1960s, a conflict that would engulf Northern Ireland for the next thirty years. In 1970 he became Member of Parliament for North Antrim and the following year he founded the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), which he would lead for almost forty years. In 1979 he became a Member of the European Parliament.
    Throughout the Troubles, Paisley was seen as a firebrand and the face of hardline unionism. He opposed all attempts to resolve the conflict through power-sharing between unionists and Irish nationalists/republicans, and all attempts to involve the Republic of Ireland in Northern affairs. His efforts helped bring down the Sunningdale Agreement of 1974. He also opposed the Anglo-Irish Agreement of 1985, with less success. His attempts to create a paramilitary movement culminated in Ulster Resistance. Paisley and his party also opposed the Northern Ireland peace process and Good Friday Agreement of 1998.

The leader up until recently was Peter Robinson, here's a picture of him from his youth:
    http://i2.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article10594667.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/PAY-Peter_Robinson_to_step_down_within_weeks_42JPG.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:
    Reign it in pal go and find my post at no point did I say I had "loads" of PMs.

Stop spouting from your rectum. Labour lost the election Jeremy is not PM don't be angry.

The Conservative party got the most votes ever people wanted Theresa May to be PM.

The point I was making was that many people will not admit to being a Tory supporter and supporting the Conservatives where as Labour will sing it from the roof tops.
    This forum is predominantly Labour supporters. I enjoyed backing the Tory cause. There were very few people publicly supporting a Tory government on this forum. It's full of musicians and to be expected.

You have clearly been wound up by my support for a Tory government.
    Get over it Corbyn failed. I hope he stays on as Labour Leader. He is unelectable as PM.

Life goes on I am going to cut the grass load the fridges and have a BBQ to celebrate a Tory win.
    Let's go through this sentence by sentence. 

1. The only way you'd know if there were "loads of secret Tory voters" as you said was if they'd PM'd you. 

2. "Most votes ever" - They scored 13,667,213 votes on Thursday. Thatcher in 1979 had 13,697,923. 

3. Plenty of areas where being a Conservative supporter is open. I grew up in one. 

4. No it isn't. It's generally very mixed but the myopic nature of your analysis wouldn't see that. 

5. I doubt he has been wound up. 

6. As is your right. Enjoy. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
    capo4th said:

@capo4th Can we all agree that you are a liar now?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:
    nickb_boy said:
    capo4th said:
    the tories seem very happy to take from the least well off,
    yet scream when it is suggested they can afford to pay more
    as for hard work
    try digging  the roads or other manual labour
    you might find its a little more exhausting then typing and talking
    If you paid £35000 a year in tax and a politicians manifesto was going to cost you another £6000
    would you be happy ? 

I grew up on a council estate, my parents had no money. I am working class.

Don't tell me about hard work and I won't apologise for where I am today as it's all through hard work over the last 20 years. I would still not class myself as rich due to having a massive mortgage to pay every month and I choose to send my son to a very good private school. 

I applaud you for being the self made man you are today.  Sounds like a right little Alan Sugar story!  I'm sure it was all down to sheer hard work and determination and at no point had elements of luck, right place right time or because someone at some point gave you a chance.  

Complaining of already paying more tax than the average uk salary is probably not going to gain you much sympathy but I understand that it is being used already to help support the UK infrastructure.   I don't quite get where your figures have come from though.  
    Paying £35k per year tax would put you at roughly £110k income range meaning about £1800 extras in tax under the measures Labour had proposed.  You'd have to be earning over £160k to get near the £6k extra you quoted.  Either way it wouldn't be right to have you put out of pocket, especially when you have chosen to own a property with such a high mortgage repayment.  

I'm assuming you have opted to pay a hefty price for your sons education because you feel the current opportunities the state provides aren't up to par, either that or you just like the uniform.   It does seem to point to the fact that despite your praise for the current goverment and your eagerness for them to continue as things are, you are not happy with the education they could provide your son so opted to send him else where.   Just think of the money you could save if the state education system was improved enough through proper funding  that you didn't have to have private school fees.  I'm sure that would be a far better saving than your £1.8-6k extra per year in tax!

Edit*  plus if your son decides to go to uni you'd be needing to pay the additional proposed tax payments for over 20 to break even and cover his fees.  That seems a pretty good return.  

I was certainly including the additional 20% VAT being added to private school fees. 

The schools standard and demographics where we live are not up to scratch so I make the choice to pay for my sons education. He loves school and sport and is extreamly happy. Difficult to put a price on that. 

A lot of luck, a few right place at the right time moments and a couple of people gave me a chance 100% 

Above all a lot of hard graft but I appreciate I am very fortunate. Mortgage payments running the house/bills and school fees / sports clubs eat up the bulk of my income. My choice - I want to give my son the best possible opportunity to succeed. We do not lead a rich lifestyle but do have a nice nice house. I own one very nice telecaster along with one amp and about 8 pedals. Not bought any guitar gear for about a year. I pay the bills and manage to stick a bit away for my son.

Seeing my income tax wasted on a grand scale does infuriate me and for Corbyn to ask for more the cheeky little fucker...

Despite our political differences, I can agree here. 

I wouldn't be against taxing the rich more, but that's *the rich* - 80k, for me, doesn't constitute rich even if it's some 4 and a bit times more than this graduate will be earning. 

What I would love to see is trident scrapped and replaced with a more useful, smaller system that could actually be used, less middle management in the NHS, less money down the toilet on all services (from NHS to politicians and their expenses, which is total bullshit). Better management of the money is some that both labour and the conservatives have utterly failed to do. 
    £80k or £100k is not rich when you live in London and have a large mortgage. You lose all benefits and your lifestyle adjusts so like most people you are waiting on the next pay check.

The super rich is a different league altogether.

You have time on your side I was earning £14000 a year when I first moved to London 20 years ago paying 500 quid a month for a shoebox in Fulham.

Waste is the big factor and waste at multiple levels in our public services.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4th said:
    octatonic said:
    Ian Paisley founded the DUP, his hate speeches were (I think) a large factor in the violence in NI

Paisley became involved in Ulster unionist/loyalist politics in the late 1950s. In the mid-late 1960s, he led and instigated loyalist opposition to the Catholic civil rights movement in Northern Ireland. This led to the outbreak of the Troubles in the late 1960s, a conflict that would engulf Northern Ireland for the next thirty years. In 1970 he became Member of Parliament for North Antrim and the following year he founded the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), which he would lead for almost forty years. In 1979 he became a Member of the European Parliament.
    Throughout the Troubles, Paisley was seen as a firebrand and the face of hardline unionism. He opposed all attempts to resolve the conflict through power-sharing between unionists and Irish nationalists/republicans, and all attempts to involve the Republic of Ireland in Northern affairs. His efforts helped bring down the Sunningdale Agreement of 1974. He also opposed the Anglo-Irish Agreement of 1985, with less success. His attempts to create a paramilitary movement culminated in Ulster Resistance. Paisley and his party also opposed the Northern Ireland peace process and Good Friday Agreement of 1998.

The leader up until recently was Peter Robinson, here's a picture of him from his youth:
    http://i2.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article10594667.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/PAY-Peter_Robinson_to_step_down_within_weeks_42JPG.jpg

It's horrible that a large part of May's campaign, rather than focusing on what the country wants, needs and what they can (and can't) deliver (come on guys, honesty is always the best policy) was simply saying that vote for her/the Conservative Party or you vote for a coalition with terrorist sympathisers. 

Dirty, lying hypocrite. I wonder just how much damage this could do to the Tories. And that's bad for everyone, regardless of who you voted for - surely the party cannot wholeheartedly support this, given their campaign? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

capo4th said:

Maybe we should have a poll on how people voted on the fretboard and see where political allegiances sit ? We all know where you stand. I have clearly wound you and octatonic up as you persistently post at me. Hey ho whatever gets you off in the morning. 

A lot of people on here voted Tory get with the program we have a conservative government and Theresa May is PM.

Would you like to come to my BBQ and we can discuss over a few Hoegaardens

capo4th said:
    octatonic said:

The past doesn't sound good. Things maybe different now.

Sounds like a party that would sit better with a Labour coalition and Jeremy Corbyn.

i have read they have a poor opinion of homosexuality and abortion. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:

capo4th said:

Maybe we should have a poll on how people voted on the fretboard and see where political allegiances sit ? We all know where you stand. I have clearly wound you and octatonic up as you persistently post at me. Hey ho whatever gets you off in the morning. 

A lot of people on here voted Tory get with the program we have a conservative government and Theresa May is PM.

Forum troll cries 'no fair, you are trolling me'.
    Dude, you were gloating for days before the election.
    Days and days of 'strange and stable' type comments.
    Now you want to pretend you're the victim here.
    Do me a lemon.

And for someone that apparently 'doesn't care' you seem to be really caught up in it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25497
    I thought he was very good.

@AliGorie Absolutely.  N.I. is crucial to this now.  We can't let May selfishly put the relative calm of N.I. at risk for her own megalomania.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
    capo4th said:

capo4th said:

You're one of these people who seldom replies in the singular, as observed by you saying "We all know where you stand". Generally it's a position of weakness, one where you have to create this impression of strength in numbers to back up your assertion. 

Once again, by using "whatever gets you off in the morning", there's some cheap sexual innuendo, something that has been observed in you before. 

If you actually knew me, you'd know that this is the first time I've ever voted Labour in a General Election. What's more, having grown up in a hugely Conservative shire, I have voted Conservative in the past and feel no shame for having done so. 

Persistently posting at you - feel free to look at the statistics of our posting records over the last fortnight. 

• capo4th said:

capo4th said:
    octatonic said:

The past doesn't sound good. Things maybe different now.

Sounds like a party that would sit better with a Labour coalition and Jeremy Corbyn.

i have read they have a poor opinion of homosexuality and abortion. 
    And yet that is not where they sit, is it?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    octatonic said:
    capo4th said:

capo4th said:

Forum troll cries 'no fair, you are trolling me'.
    Dude, you were gloating for days before the election.
    Days and days of 'strange and stable' type comments.
    Now you want to pretend you're the victim here.
    Do me a lemon.

And for someone that apparently 'doesn't care' you seem to be really caught up in it.
    Not at all just waiting for my wife to get ready so we can go to the supermarket for supplies.
    There are loads of Tory voters on here and I am certainly not a victim.

Remember who won the election 

capo4th said:

capo4th said:

You're one of these people who seldom replies in the singular, as observed by you saying "We all know where you stand". Generally it's a position of weakness, one where you have to create this impression of strength in numbers to back up your assertion. 

Once again, by using "whatever gets you off in the morning", there's some cheap sexual innuendo, something that has been observed in you before. 

If you actually knew me, you'd know that this is the first time I've ever voted Labour in a General Election. What's more, having grown up in a hugely Conservative shire, I have voted Conservative in the past and feel no shame for having done so. 

Persistently posting at you - feel free to look at the statistics of our posting records over the last fortnight. 

I have no wish to argue with you on your posting history. You have quoted me in a number of posts and responded to numerous posts. Crack on!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    More bad news for May - Ruth Davidson is splitting from the Conservative Party and forming a Scottish Conservative Party. She's not supporting May on Brexit as she doesn't want a hard Brexit and wants access to the single market. She's reflecting the views of people in Scotland.

The game must be up for May.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom