The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    No, the exact behaviour that got us into the current mess was to borrow far too much by imposing austerity to cut the deficit instead of raising taxes, then when things started to pick up, reduce taxes rather than paying back the debt.

This is what the Tories do, every time they're in government.

The only difference this time was that the recession that started it was under a Labour government for the first time, unlike the preceding three and following one (the 'double dip') which were all under Tory governments.

Brown certainly made mistakes, yes. Osborne massively compounded them.

It absolutely baffles me why you keep believing the opposite when the figures are a matter of extremely easy to find public record. You don't strike me as stupid, so why?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    ICBM said:
    No, the exact behaviour that got us into the current mess was to borrow far too much by imposing austerity to cut the deficit instead of raising taxes, then when things started to pick up, reduce taxes rather than paying back the debt.

This is what the Tories do, every time they're in government.

The only difference this time was that the recession that started it was under a Labour government for the first time, unlike the preceding three and following one (the 'double dip') which were all under Tory governments.

Brown certainly made mistakes, yes. Osborne massively compounded them.

It absolutely baffles me why you keep believing the opposite when the figures are a matter of extremely easy to find public record. You don't strike me as stupid, so why?
    To be fair to @capo4th he may be wrong and angry about stuff that's not Labours fault, and he may be ranting in a very misguided way about Corbyn and his policies, but...

The last labour government wasn't exactly squeaky clean, and one particular PM did start an illegal war and should be in jail for being a liar and abusing his power for his own gain. Perhaps some Tories are finding it difficult to forget that. 

Then again maybe they are rich bastards who don't give a fuck about the poor. What do I know anyway, I'm just a no name pleb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I think getting into bed with the DUP will be the Tories "Iraq War" moment. Theresa May is clutching at straws to hold on to power and damaging her own party to do it. I just hope this falls apart before too much damage is done. I don't want those psychos anywhere near the Brexit table, environmental policy or any equal rights legislation. 

The British voter takes a long time to forgive a perceived betrayal. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Despite the election result, I still feel the decision to call the election was correct (for the purposes of May and Tories).  The local election results shortly afterwards supported the decision.   The Tories failed to win the election due to a bad campaign.   
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited June 2017
    I was amazed how perfect the result was for Northern Ireland.  Basically the DUP are king makers. Without their support the Government go nowhere .  I sense another election soon.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14201
    Does Bozzer survive the reshuffle as Foreign Secretary?

• marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    capo4th said:
    poor you
    my heart bleeds for you
    try living on minimum wage
    Been there done that also claimed benefits for a while back in the early 90s, thanks for your concern btw
    i've been there too
    slept on the streets for a while too
    why are you supporting a party that has no empathy or compassion for the least well off
    the tories are ruthless in the way they take from the poor and give to the weathy
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 586
    edited June 2017
    Mmmmmmm.....This guy reckons a Tory/DUP deal is bad for NI. I would agree. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    capo4th said:
    JezWynd said:
    capo4th said:
    capo4th said:

We need to make changes in society and maybe today is a jumpstart to a more balanced approach.

So how do you personally intend to adopt a more balanced approach? 

I am quite a balanced kind of guy, quite relaxed about most things but Corbyns lies have really made me angry these last few weeks and venting in here has probably not helped.

what would you suggest? 
    Perhaps it's a viral thing. I've been pissed about Trump for a while, totally pointless.  Have you considered taking up gardening? I'm finding it very therapeutic. That and getting light headed and playing guitar very loud.

Yeah it's just anger and this place is an easy place to vent.

i did find it quite amusing being one of about three Tory supporters on the forum. 

Eh?
    You were bragging a few days ago that you had loads of PM's from shy Tories on the forum and now you are saying there are only two.
    The problem with lying is you have to maintain it.
    Most people can't, they forget what they've said and get caught out when they change their story.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4992
    As an alternative take on all of this, here's something put out yesterday by Francis Dunnery. It might resonate with some of you, it might not. 

/starts/
    Hey guys , I've got a great idea about trump and brexit and the hung parliament and all that ulster defense army and Jeremy Corbin stuff and all that political drama. 

Let them all carry on and you focus on your own family and friends. Don't lose sight that your own life and family and friends are far more important than any of those people. F**k em. Your life and the life of your children and family and friends is paramount. Don't let them get you sidetracked away from what's important. Your life won't change much no matter which one of those psychopaths is in power. My old mam voted Labour all her life and they knocked 3pence off a packet of cigarettes when they got in power. That's how much her lifelong loyalty was worth. They had top class food and hotels and wages for themselves. But my old mam got 3 pence knocked off a packet of cigarettes. They convinced her she was Labour. My school teacher voted Tory all her life. She didn't have a pot to piss in but they convinced her she was 'somebody' if she voted Tory. They convinced her she was above all those vermin Labour free loaders. My poor school teacher believed she was a Tory. 

Go back to your family and children. Don't give these c**ksuckers another ounce of your energy. Your a tiny little pawn in a money and power game that's so far beyond you it's not worth the energy. 

Have a beautiful day. Tell your family and kids I send them all my best wishes. Your not Labour or Tory or any of the other nonsense. It's all made up. Nature doesn't have Labour or Tory. They made the **** up. It keeps you divided. 

You and your children and family are real. Keep it real.

/ends/

He's got a way with words, old Frankie. Writes fantastic, lovingly human songs, too.

Have a good weekend, everyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    octatonic said:
    capo4th said:
    JezWynd said:
    capo4th said:
    capo4th said:

We need to make changes in society and maybe today is a jumpstart to a more balanced approach.

So how do you personally intend to adopt a more balanced approach? 

I am quite a balanced kind of guy, quite relaxed about most things but Corbyns lies have really made me angry these last few weeks and venting in here has probably not helped.

what would you suggest? 
    Perhaps it's a viral thing. I've been pissed about Trump for a while, totally pointless.  Have you considered taking up gardening? I'm finding it very therapeutic. That and getting light headed and playing guitar very loud.

Yeah it's just anger and this place is an easy place to vent.

i did find it quite amusing being one of about three Tory supporters on the forum. 

Eh?
    You were bragging a few days ago that you had loads of PM's from shy Tories on the forum and now you are saying there are only two.
    The problem with lying is you have to maintain it.
    Most people can't, they forget what they've said and get caught out when they change their story.
    Reign it in pal go and find my post at no point did I say I had "loads" of PMs.

Stop spouting from your rectum. Labour lost the election Jeremy is not PM don't be angry.

The Conservative party got the most votes ever people wanted Theresa May to be PM.

The point I was making was that many people will not admit to being a Tory supporter and supporting the Conservatives where as Labour will sing it from the roof tops.
    This forum is predominantly Labour supporters. I enjoyed backing the Tory cause. There were very few people publicly supporting a Tory government on this forum. It's full of musicians and to be expected.

You have clearly been wound up by my support for a Tory government.
    Get over it Corbyn failed. I hope he stays on as Labour Leader. He is unelectable as PM.

Life goes on I am going to cut the grass load the fridges and have a BBQ to celebrate a Tory win.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

capo4th said:
    poor you
    my heart bleeds for you
    try living on minimum wage
    Been there done that also claimed benefits for a while back in the early 90s, thanks for your concern btw
    i've been there too
    slept on the streets for a while too
    why are you supporting a party that has no empathy or compassion for the least well off
    the tories are ruthless in the way they take from the poor and give to the weathy
    Sorry to hear that I hope things are back on track for you. I think you will find there are systems in place for the least well off. The Torys don't give me anything I work hard for it. I am not wealthy.
    I really got to you this time, eh?
    Just try telling the truth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    I really got to you this time, eh?
    Just try telling the truth.
    Erm no 

But I will give you credit for trying in the last 48 hours have a wiz for your efforts
    Your a little touchy this morning 
    Go and find my post then come back and call me a liar.
    edited June 2017
    Oh, I'm sure you've done a cheeky edit by now.
    Weren't you off to celebrate?
    Bye bye now!
    And it is still, and eternally, spelled "you're".
    edited June 2017
    Not at all pal no interest in your argument or editing posts on an Internet forum