'Ere - have you seen the weather forecast ?!

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15768
    light dusting here, so I've declared the end of civilisation as we know it. I've been out gathering in a harvest of the weak and the slow, so should be good for a few days. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72941
    FX_Munkee said:
    good luck with getting that bin collected.
    They were supposed to come yesterday, but it was cancelled - the bin lorry drivers will be on road clearance work. I left it out there because it's a useful marker for the edge of the road! There are stones along the edge of the lawn which you now can't see but would damage a car if someone drove over them.

If I can be bothered I may dig the car out later - it's a Suzuki 4x4 we haven't had long so I'm interested to see how it will perform. The Renault was useless even with chains on last time I tried it in that much snow - it just packed under the front of the car and lifted it up until the wheels were off the road.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12505
    Down here in southern Hampshire we have been basking in 0 degrees and watching you all fight the snow.  We finally had our first snow last night 

https://i.imgur.com/KRCuZPW.jpg

My sons school has closed and I was called by work and told to work from home as they are closing at lunchtime...

I don't know what we'll do trying to cope with this level of snow, we have some salmon fillets and some quinoabut once thats gone we'll have to eat the leather shoes I suppose.  there are a few pot noodles in the cupboard but we are not savages,

I haven't seen my wife since she said she was "going out for a while" I suspect the wolves will have got her...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    "Do not view the contents of this site while driving" is the tip lol.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504

They have closed all the schools around here.  It's ridiculous.  I only work two miles from home, but I've got colleagues who have made it from Kent to Acton, and they close the schools in an area where it is absolutely flat with no hills at all.

It was funny cycling to work this morning.  I was cycling on gritted roads, and all the pedestrians were slipping and sliding all over the place on compacted snow and ice on the pavements.  Just put on the good gloves and I was fine.  Haven't needed to resort to the really good gloves I bought when I climbed Kilimanjaro - that was properly cold.  None of this namby-pamby -3C.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Snowing lightly but consistently here in Kilburn... -3 apparently.

Today is the day I was told shit was really going to hit the fan weather-wise... we shall see. Another day off tomorrow would be nice, certainly. Although there's a gig tomorrow night that I would quite like to be able to get to... I suppose what I want is heavy snow for the rest of the day and then for it to all miraculously fuck off at about 10am tomorrow.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Just filmed a van stuck in the snow and fed the seagulls, gosh it's cold I'm supposed to walk
    to the Doctors Surgery pick up my prescription then go to the chemists, may have to put it
    off for another day ..
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9744
    South Wales has been raised to a red warning now. I got to work and there were more cars leaving than entering. The text saying the office was closed was sent five minutes before I arrived. Still -4 deg C here.
    4x4 report - the Suzuki SX4 performs fine in snow, even on standard tyres. I never quite got around to buying winter ones and I thought I was safe by about the end of January, which was silly... :)

In deep unpacked snow there's a clear difference between 'auto' 4WD and fully locked too, so I know that's working properly - you're not supposed to use that on any sort of hard surface so I haven't had a chance to test it before now.

Even better, the proper snow shovel I bought last summer for £3 in a clearance sale made short work of the path and the area round the car, so I was able to go out in normal clothes and shoes instead of the usual winter get-up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 553
    Been chucking it down here in South Wales for the last couple of hours and its not supposed to get heavier this afternoon!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31865
    I don't think I could bring myself to buy special tyres for a couple of days of snow, that's even sillier than buying a convertible in Wales.  
    p90fool said:
    I don't think I could bring myself to buy special tyres for a couple of days of snow, that's even sillier than buying a convertible in Wales.  
    Nor me, but I should at least have bought some decent all-weather ones instead of the two different brands of nondescript round black things that have been on it since we bought it :).

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Well, I'm at work now. Had no snow last night but temps in the well-negative dept have ensured the snow gets crunchy and any slush turns to ice. So, my road, and the hill at the end of it, and the other roads through the village are tickover-speed-in-1st-gear, but when you hit the main drag ... no, nobody's cleared it yet (just like they hadn't yesterday) but there's been a little more traffic along it and most of it just looks wet. Not knowing where the black ice would be we didn't push our luck speed-wise, I'm glad nobody did because there's one bit where there's a kink in the road right on the brow of a hill (yes, we do have hills in Suffolk), and as soon as you get there you see a white/icy bit that has survived the HGVs better than the rest, so I was thankful not to be doing more than 40 when I hit it. Felt the car twitch, then it was back onto the normal just wet tarmac. Little dusting of snow now in the carpark and I guess I ought to start doing something to do with work ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Thats 3 fucking inches for Gods sake
    That's what she said...!
     Show off!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    South Wales, it's very windy, that's it where I am 
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Sporky said:
    We've had about another 20mm of snow since I got home yesterday, so I presume that all of Surrey is now gridlocked.
    Im down in sussex, out of 10 trains on the board this morning 9 were cancelled. Even the road outside my home is deathly quiet and its a main road into town
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 535
    Pretty shitty down here in London but business as usual for most places. Had a walk earlier and its not as bad as it looks from inside. Apparently the worst of it is yet to come.
    Walking from Monument to Shoreditch yesterday morning was fun in dress shoes, then took me 20 mins to get from the office I was working in to Old Street station in the evening (maybe about 500 yards). Decided to WFH today, but only really because everyone else bailed.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29038
    p90fool said:
    That would indeed be silly.

But buying a set of tyres for 4 months of the year, that'll also give you astounding grip on snow, is less silly. Or buying a set of tyres that'll work all year 'round as well as pretty decent grip on snow.

Or staying at home when it snows. Which isn't silly at all.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    underdog said:
    South Wales, it's very windy, that's it where I am 
    No snow? There's plenty in the 'Port.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.