'Ere - have you seen the weather forecast ?!

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33957
    More the Gremlin from the Kremlin than the Beast of the East.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    This morning I awoke to see about 1cm of patchy snow (in places). Because my journey can be disrupted and it looked chilly I checked the nationalrail.co.uk page...

It was chock full of red triangles with exclamation marks...

Had to email and say that there was so little guarantee of getting to work, or home again after that I'd have to take a snow day.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Well. It’s here. We are right on the edge of the east coast. Just got home and you can see the cloud front as you approach the east. Not much wind. It’s got that eerie quiet feel about it and it’s really heavy snow.

About 4” at the mo and coming down fast. If it does make its way west, look out...

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    Snow or not, it's bleedin' taters outside tonight.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    scrumhalf said:
    Snow or not, it's bleedin' taters outside tonight.
    Drove past Cranfield on the way home - car temp said -10...
  • It's arrived in Edinburgh now. Just been woken by a text from the school saying "due to extreme weather all nursery, primary and secondary schools are closed on Wednesday 28th February". 
    Childcare is going to be interesting...
     As is my cycle to work! There's an inch or so of snow, but I'm more concerned by the high winds & potential for ice. (I've GOT to go in for a while to check some equipment). 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73026
    edited February 2018
    Midlothian schools are off as well. We’ve maybe got as much as two inches here! I had to put my shoes on to put the bin out... who knows whether that will be collected.

We’re forecast to get up to 15” over the next two days,  so I’m expecting about half that. Presumably this will be the end of civilisation as we know it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • About and inch or 2 here in north nottinghamshire. Time to put the big coat on. Just going out to clear the hill outside the house and grit it then driving down to Maidenhead for a few days.  I know it’s a major risk...
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

It's bloody freezing down here in Camden.

Even the goths have got their coats done up.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    it's so cold down here the locals have had to put extra witches on the fire. If it doesn't ease up soon, they'll run out of 2nd homes to burn. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We have a light dusting just off J20 of the M4, and pretty much nothing in Newport.

Weather hysteria seems to have got so much worse in the last 20-odd years. I can remember, in the mid-90s, me and my Metro sliding down a steep hill when I lived in Brighton. I managed to miss all the parked cars too. The Drove in Preston Park, I think it was.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Couple of inches of powder on a base of ice here in West Lothian. Was quite a treacherous drive home last night with heavy snow and white roads. All schools closed today and police advising not to travel, with the transport minister saying we’re ‘on the cusp of a red alert’ :) I think I’ll be working from home as advised by the government :)
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    It's currently "interesting" here in rural South Lanarkshire...not quite a whiteout but it's trying hard. Roads last night were treacherous, much sawing of steering wheel  :s
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    funny... my brother has never experienced snow or frost..
    the only ice he's ever seen is in the freezer or in a glass... lol..
    when the temperature drops to 24C he gets goosebumps and puts on a sweatshirt..
    fkn woos.. lol..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    A lot of snow here overnight. About 9" on the patio table this morning. A crisp -10 deg. The view outside is stunning. Priceless :)
  • The commute was ok this morning... I sacrificed 10psi from my bike tires to the weather gods & did my 8miles no bother. 
    LOADS of cars driving around with lots of snow on em though- that blowing off was the worst I had to deal with. 
    I actually got too warm & had to strip a layer off
  • Another 3" here overnight. Cleared car, drove at tickover speed in 1st gear down the hill and through the village. Get to the main drag, nobody has cleared or gritted it, there's a car in the hedge where he kept on going instead of turning right into the village, the main drag is an ice rink. Almost no traffic on the main drag, drove in 2nd gear at tickover speed as far as Shell garage, turned round & came back again.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    http://i66.tinypic.com/21esx0j.jpg

Rural Scottish Highlands.
    view from our living room. No-one’s going anywhere and the few facilities we have appear to be closed. Quiet as the grave out there. Guitar-playing day then, it seems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73 said:
    It's currently "interesting" here in rural South Lanarkshire...not quite a whiteout but it's trying hard. Roads last night were treacherous, much sawing of steering wheel  :s
    Parts of M8 eastbound like driving on glass. Just at Provanmill turn-off. 5mph sideways for a 1/4 mile for me. Surprisingly no accidents that I could see.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    We have a light dusting just off J20 of the M4, and pretty much nothing in Newport.

Weather hysteria seems to have got so much worse in the last 20-odd years. I can remember, in the mid-90s, me and my Metro sliding down a steep hill when I lived in Brighton. I managed to miss all the parked cars too. The Drove in Preston Park, I think it was.
    There is barely any snow left here... so many cancelled trains... stuck home again.

My phones weather app said it was -9 when I woke up... but a bit chilly shouldn't be such an ice-a-palooza on the rails