'Ere - have you seen the weather forecast ?!

What's Hot

Comments

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    I’m a happy boy that I managed to get so much done and out the door over the last few days from my workshop in Edinburgh as I’m not going to even bother driving through for the rest of the week.

I doubt my courier will be delivering much today though!

I’m not a very happy boy that all Glasgow schools are closed though as my 10 month old boy had me up all night and I was looking forward to some peace and quiet after dropping off my daughter.

Oh well, it looks like today will be spent sledging round the corner at Queens Park :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27714
    Garden was quite pretty here this morning ...

Not sure the road has been gritted ...

Dogs love it ...

And when the sun comes out  ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Snow5.jpg 1.9M
    Snow2.jpg 1.7M
    Snow3.jpg 1.9M
    Snow4.jpg 1.7M
    Snow1.jpg 1.6M
    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:
    Guitar-playing day then, it seems.
    wis for that ... same here :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • so. snowday. pick up the ol' jazzbox and it seems a bit easier to play today. nice.

done some cleaning in the kitchen, rescued clean clothes from the washing machine, set up another wash.

thought I'd wow @TTony's piccies, I must have done it before, 'cos the wow count went from 2 to 1, but the site isn't letting me wow it back again.

Pub opens in 10 min. can't be arsed to cook, so guess where I'm having lunch.

snowdays are good :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27714

Pub opens in 10 min. can't be arsed to cook, so guess where I'm having lunch.

Take the guitar and that's your whole afternoon sorted @Phil_aka_Pip!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    just hard frost this side of the Hogs Back... Apparently mayhem getting and and around Guildford though... shame...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• SporkySporky Frets: 28756
    I was meant to be going to a training course at the north side of the M25.

However, we had about a centimetre of snow last night.

I left home with 2 1/2 hours to do what should be a 1 hour journey.

An hour and a half later I'd covered 6 miles and still had 4 miles to go to get to the south-west bit of the M25 - 53 miles left in total. I gave up and came home. And that took another 45 minutes.

At one point I was in a queue doing 15mph on a clear, gritted, national-speed-limit road because of someone up ahead who should have been dragged out of their car and beaten to death at the side of the road. There were cyclists overtaking us.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Got a message from sprog 2s school in Skipton that they were closing at 10:30.

Bloody kids nowadays, when I were young we'd have to walk ten miles uphill in both directions in freezing blizzards, and have to pay for the privilege etc...
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24456
    I drove all the bloody way to Droitwich and back and only saw the odd shower.  Back all the way up to Worcester this morning - the worst it got was at the top of the A465 where the two lanes dropped down to one for a mile or so due to accumulated snow.  If we don't get six feet by tomorrow, I will be a very unhappy man.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited February 2018
    As planned, drove back from Guildford this morning. No snow when I left. A3 was clear as a bell, right the way into Roehampton and Barnes, and over the bridge into Hammersmith. It started snowing a little bit around the time I passed Barnes station. Only once I got onto the A40 past Shepherd's Bush did it start going awry - the snow started coming down thicker and the flyover down into Marylebone was crawling. I was sat on that stretch for about 20 minutes, by which point the snow had really gathered.

Turned off and went up Lisson Grove and Abbey Road, which were pretty dicey - the top end of Abbey Road was very skatey indeed. Once I got into the little roads around where I live in Kilburn it was really very slippery. By some miracle, I managed to get a space on my road which was easy enough to manoeuvre into. My road is like sheet ice though - no way I'm driving anywhere for the next few days at least.

The whole journey took about two and a half hours, roughly twice as long as usual. Now sitting here watching Kilburn turn into a grimy and shit version of Narnia. Did just get a text saying my school is closed tomorrow though - I'm gonna give myself a night off writing lesson plans and put my feet up, I think!
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    edited February 2018
    Sporky said:

An hour and a half later I'd covered 6 miles and still had 4 miles to go to get to the south-west bit of the M25 - 53 miles left in total. I gave up and came home. And that took another 45 minutes.

At one point I was in a queue doing 15mph on a clear, gritted, national-speed-limit road because of someone up ahead who should have been dragged out of their car and beaten to death at the side of the road. There were cyclists overtaking us.
    There’s some clear “gritted” NSL roads round by us - 3 people got killed on one yesterday due to someone going too fast and hitting a massive patch of black ice. Pretty much every road round us that’s been cleared and gritted has frozen in the -7 that we had last night.
  • Red weather warning in place for Edinburgh now, so all uni facilities are closed... I got sent home.

The commute home was a bit more interesting than the way into work- temperature has dropped, wind has picked up & heavy blizzard spells! 

My scarf froze to my beard & my brakes froze, but I couldn't get much speed anyway- I stopped & begged some warm water from a coffee shop to melt them into use again. 
    Here's a picture of my trusty steed on the canal tow path. 
    https://i.imgur.com/rld5hqn.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I was parking at the supermarket when i heard a tap on the window.....i nearly pooed my pants!

https://i.imgur.com/VC5IuPC.png
    17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28756
    Sporky said:

There’s some clear “gritted” NSL roads round by us - 3 people got killed on one yesterday due to someone going too fast and hitting a massive patch of black ice. Pretty much every road round us that’s been cleared and gritted has frozen in the -7 that we had last night.
    Ours were gritted this morning.

I'm not saying people should be doing Scandi flicks on all the corners and carrying on as if it's a completely normal day, but 15mph?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Outside my window is bright sunshine, no snow... so I assumed I'd get back to work tomorrow. 

Just got an email saying that the campus is closed due to snow. Hmpf!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:

Ours were gritted this morning.

I'm not saying people should be doing Scandi flicks on all the corners and carrying on as if it's a completely normal day, but 15mph?
    Every area is different - ours were gritted, but the proliferation of black ice after it dropped to (up to) -9 last night just makes it really dangerous round here, grit or not (!) 

Most people are plodding around about 25mph on the B roads, maybe 30 from time to time. Mostly it's fine at that speed but the stopping distances are huge compared to usual. 

My point was more around drivers thinking "ha, I can see tarmac, so BAAAAARP" followed by "er, why aren't my f'in brakes doing anything??"

I've seen a few fall foul of this even outside our house this morning.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11368
    rawk100 said:
    I was parking at the supermarket when i heard a tap on the window.....i nearly pooed my pants!

Valet parking? There's posh.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24456
    Er.... I wanted ten feet of snow AFTER I'd got home!...

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • scrumhalf said:
    rawk100 said:

Valet parking? There's posh.
    bear necessities mate :)