PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Just waiting for rain :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2448
    I have a couple in the bag I took a few weeks ago, but since I have a river and a lake nearby I’m going to try and make an effort and take some fresh shots :)
  • I like taking fresh shots specifically for the competition when I can, but this month I haven't really had a chance to get out much. I did spend a little while on a wet high street on Sunday afternoon, which I thought might be nice with the Christmas lights, but I didn't get anything decent.
    My backup plans were to use the puddle shot that I took last month, or I did have an idea with a cup of coffee and some milk... technically that worked, but I'd made the most unappetising looking cup of coffee you can imagine, so I didn't keep the shots! :lol:

After all that I remembered the shot I've posted, which was from a very dewy morning back in the summer.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    Well, that's my entry in. Like @skullfunkerry I was hoping to take a fresh image for this, but ended up digging into the archive. 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4258
    edited December 2022
    I think you've gained an unfair advantage with my votes this month @boogieman - your dog is the spitting image of my Jay, who sadly left us this year...

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    edited December 2022
    Wow, Jay is a really gorgeous dog. Look at those big eyes. I’m sorry for your loss, @skullfunkerry .
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    I think you've gained an unfair advantage with my votes this month @boogieman - your dog is the spitting image of my Jay, who sadly left us this year...

Ah, sorry for your loss Kerry, he (she?) looks a lovely dog. 

My shot was actually just a quick iPhone pic I grabbed today after my Daisy had been bog snorkelling in a huge puddle. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As it's pretty much stopped raining this month, mine is what you get when it's wet and cold...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Mine too. Of course, now everything is wet but I don't have the time to get out with a camera or set something up :) oh well. I like my pic - I'm printing it as part of a two-piece to go on the wall. 
  • Am I allowed to change my entry? I got one this morning, and quickly moved the jpeg to my phone. If not, no worries - I may print this though, I'm quite pleased and amazed that I can captured a hand-held image like this.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5780
    edited December 2022
    @ThePrettyDamned I have to know what gear you took that shot with, that's pretty awesome!

Oh, and if you do change your photo (no issues from me), then I guess you'd 
    better think of a decent theme for next month.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Haych said:
    @ThePrettyDamned I have to know what gear you took that shot with, that's pretty awesome!

Oh, and if you do change your photo (no issues from me), then I guess you'd better think of a decent theme for next month.

Aww thanks! I'll wait for a bit more consensus as I just saw it closed yesterday and I don't want to be a dick. Rules is rules! 

It was my olympus om-d em1 mark 2 with olympus 60mm macro. It's such a wonderful set up, I genuinely enjoy photography more for it, and the kit is very affordable for the quality when compared to aps or 35mm options (not to mention the lenses are tiny!). 

This isn't focus stacked, just a hand held photo - 1/30th second, f3.5 for a tiny bit more depth, iso 1000. 1/30th at 1:1 magnification is near-impossible with this kit, I had about 40 shots and this was the best of the lot. A newer body could probably do it more consistently, which is incredible.

It's a ladybird on my dead bronze fennel. They seem to use it as a winter home, so I won't cut it back until February or so. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5780
    Thanks @ThePrettyDamned, it's an excellent shot.  A friend of mine used to use Olympus but he recently sold it in favour of a Nikon something or other.  He seemed quite fond of the OM stuff and churned out one annoyingly good photo after another with it.

Still, much like guitars, the best guitar in the wrong hands will still sound like a strangled cat.  Good photo gear is only one part of taking a good photo, skill and a photographic eye is not something that can be bought.  You seem to have that in droves.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    It doesn’t worry me if you change the entry, especially as the voting doesn’t seem to have started yet. Maybe we should let @skullfunkerry decide though as he’s the organiser? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Haych said:
    Thanks @ThePrettyDamned, it's an excellent shot.  A friend of mine used to use Olympus but he recently sold it in favour of a Nikon something or other.  He seemed quite fond of the OM stuff and churned out one annoyingly good photo after another with it.

Still, much like guitars, the best guitar in the wrong hands will still sound like a strangled cat.  Good photo gear is only one part of taking a good photo, skill and a photographic eye is not something that can be bought.  You seem to have that in droves.

Very kind, but I'm not all that! 

I do agree that gear is almost meaningless. The most limiting factor is the bit behind the viewfinder. I find, however, that gear tends toward "bigger = progress", and that's a shame. I want excellent, but tiny, lenses - regardless of the sensor size. That's just easier on a smaller sensor, so the upcoming death of m43 for stills is something that worries me slightly. 

I don't get the super shallow depth of field, and I don't get the ability to see in the dark with a 1.4 lens at iso 6400, but I didn't get those on bigger cameras either because I rarely shot like that. 

So for me, personally, a smaller sensor is an epic win and the way it will die out is a real shame because larger cameras don't seem to prioritise really tiny lenses that have genuinely excellent optics. The exception is fujifilm, but the xtrans sensors are just a pain to edit, even if the kit is an absolute joy to use. 
  • Sorry, it was my work Xmas do last night so I didn't get a chance to get on here. Entry is now closed and voting is open :)

And @ThePrettyDamned if you want to change your entry that's fine with me - ideally do it asap before any votes are cast, if that's possible :+1: 

• I really like your shot @theatreanchor but it was just past the deadline... would have definitely had it in my top three otherwise. I was supposed to go to Glow at RHS Hyde Hall a couple of weeks ago, your picture looks very much like that sort of thing, am I right?

• I really like your shot @theatreanchor but it was just past the deadline... would have definitely had it in my top three otherwise. I was supposed to go to Glow at RHS Hyde Hall a couple of weeks ago, your picture looks very much like that sort of thing, am I right?
    You are exactly right! It was flipping freezing, so every photo sacrificed hand warmth. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2448
    edited December 2022
    Many thanks for your feedback @ThePrettyDamned . Just when I thought I was wasting my time with photography your comment gave me a much needed confidence boost.  Much appreciated:) I really liked your original shot so I was disappointed to see you replace it. That said, it's quite remarkable to have captured those small water droplets on that ladybird's back. Nice work!

Well done to everyone who entered. Despite taking a lengthy hiatus myself, it's great to see people are still entering these monthly competitions. Although it's just for fun it's useful to have motivation and be able to find inspiration in others' work. And thanks again to @skullfunkerry ; for keeping it going in its – can you believe it – fourth year. Here's to many more! 
    Seriously, where does time go? ...
  • beed84 said:
    Many thanks for your feedback @ThePrettyDamned . Just when I thought I was wasting my time with photography your comment gave me a much needed confidence boost.  Much appreciated:) I really liked your original shot so I was disappointed to see you replace it. That said, it's quite remarkable to have captured those small water droplets on that ladybird's back. Nice work!

Well done to everyone who entered. Despite taking a lengthy hiatus myself, it's great to see people are still entering these monthly competitions. Although it's just for fun it's useful to have motivation and be able to find inspiration in others' work. And thanks again to @skullfunkerry ; for keeping it going in its – can you believe it – fourth year. Here's to many more! Seriously, where does time go? ...
    Every month when I do the new flyer & see how high the numbers are getting it amazes me!

Merry Christmas everyone :)