PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    edited October 2022
    Well, last day of the comp and nothing I can submit. Due to the temperate microclimate in my corner of the country we are only just beginning to see the very first signs of autumn and mostly everything is still green. Another couple of weeks and a good frost should see autumn colours.

Nevertheless, excellent entries this month so, as ever, voting is going to be difficult.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Morning everyone. Voting is now open over in the competition thread :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Don't forget tomorrow is your last day to vote this month!

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    Hi everyone, I’m an enthusiastic amateur photographer- not sure how I managed to miss this until now! I see that with my usual spectacular timing I’ve just missed this month. I’ll happily join in the next one. Is there a requirement that photos are freshly taken for the competition or can I dig into the archive?
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1957
    RichAC said:
    Hi everyone, I’m an enthusiastic amateur photographer- not sure how I managed to miss this until now! I see that with my usual spectacular timing I’ve just missed this month. I’ll happily join in the next one. Is there a requirement that photos are freshly taken for the competition or can I dig into the archive?
    I think it’s informally up to a year old, but I’ve been trying to take fresh images as I like the idea of the challenge 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lodious said:
    RichAC said:
    I think it’s informally up to a year old, but I’ve been trying to take fresh images as I like the idea of the challenge 
    Yep, pretty much what @Lodious said there @RichAC ; - I generally try and get out to take a photo for the competition, but sometimes I have to use an old one. The one year time limit is very informal - if you posted something and then told everyone that you'd had it sitting around since 1996 then I think a few eyebrows would be raised, but the whole point really is that it's for fun, so I try to just let everyone get on with it.

I look forward to seeing you in the November entries! :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12487
    Yeah I think the general agreement is up to a year is ok… we did get one guy recently trying to put up a pic taken in 2013 which I thought was stretching things a bit.  :)
  • boogieman said:
    Yeah I think the general agreement is up to a year is ok… we did get one guy recently trying to put up a pic taken in 2013 which I thought was stretching things a bit.  :)
    Didn't he realise his mistake and take it down again though?

At the end of the day there are no prizes or anything, and I think if someone genuinely entered something like that, they just wouldn't get any votes!

...talking of which, I should get my calculator out :)

Thanks all. I’d definitely prefer to take fresh images, as it’s a good way to actually get out and take some photos! But nice to know what the rules are in case I happen to have just the thing sat on the hard disk already.

A friend and I have a (roughly) monthly Zoom call where we share five photos on a pre-agreed theme. It’s just the two of us, so as informal as it gets, and we both dip into the archives (he’s shared pics from the 80s before!) but I treat that as a good way to take pics to a brief as well. So now I have two excuses to take photos!  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Forgot to mention, btw: winner has been announced in the competition thread :)

Congratulations @westford - I didn’t vote ‘cos I only just found out about the photo comp, but I had a think about how I’d have voted, and yours would have been one of them.
    I was out this morning, and I grabbed a shot on my phone (lightly edited a bit in Lightroom when i got home) that I would have entered had I not completely missed the deadline...

So I thought I'd post it here instead. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

Today I was reminded of a fundamental law of the universe: if I get up early to catch the sunrise in a photogenic location, said sunrise will be unspectacular. No symmetrical clouds-reflected-in-water-pics for me today.  :)
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4233
    edited November 2022
    I've had a couple of ideas for this month's theme and nothing has worked so far... I've got a backup image if all else fails, but I'm hoping to capture something specifically for the competition if I can :)

Well, that's my entry in. It wasn't taken specifically for this challenge, but when I was reviewing shots from a photo day last month, I realised that it fit the bill, and since I'm not likely to get another day out with my camera in time, I thought I'd take the plunge.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5773
    Meh, that's mine in.  Running out of time to do much again this month and with a busy weekend ahead I thought I’d best get something in at least. 

The wife says it looks like two pairs of tits! I think she needs to go to spec savers, although boobs did cross my mind given this month’s theme. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haych said:
    Meh, that's mine in.  Running out of time to do much again this month and with a busy weekend ahead I thought I’d best get something in at least. 

The wife says it looks like two pairs of tits! I think she needs to go to spec savers, although boobs did cross my mind given this month’s theme. 
    @Haych it took me an embarrassingly long time to work out what I was looking at in your pic. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5773
    RichAC said:
    Haych said:

@Haych it took me an embarrassingly long time to work out what I was looking at in your pic. 
    @RichAC, well that doesn't bode well, lol!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

edited November 2022
    Haych said:
    RichAC said:
    Haych said:

@RichAC, well that doesn't bode well, lol!
    Think it says more about me than your photography, @Haych . Very obvious what it was once the penny dropped.