General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3813
    edited January 2023
    What is your 'retro' cut off point?

Something I was thinking about when I was creating groups on the Series X last week. I was playing Portal and my lad says 'proper retro' , I said it wasn't as it's a 360 game but of course to him it is.

It's like my day room with the retro gaming set up in has a strict no hdmi policy, if it hooks up via hdmi then it ain't allowed in the room.

I think I'm a little weird
    I love VIDEOPAC 34, Satellite Attack from the ancient Philips G7000 and still got a bunch of MSX cartridges… Nemesis I, II & III.. yay!

My son has a working Spectrum and I will get out my BBC B and hit Planetoid occasionally… that and llamatron (Amiga) are still unmatched for total frenetic action.  

HDMI free

SNES Zelda Link to the Past gets an annual play and I played Gameboy Links Awakening every summer holiday until the Gameboy stopped working about 5 years ago.  The Switch update is AMAZING.. exact same feeling but fancier graphics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone got any ideas  how to progress in that level in vampire survivor where you get all your weapons taken off you and chased by the angel looking thingies?  Is it one of those ones where you have to be lower level?

Also haven't managed a reaper takedown yet. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    re Retro - I'd rather play Pong or Breakout or Galaxian or Atari 2600 Centipede than NES/SNES/Megadrive era games I think. Early console (yes I know 2600 is a console...) stuff really suffers now - the older-than-that stuff had to rely on one simple mechanic that either worked or didn't. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    it's been a long time since I played any really old Pong/Breakout era stuff, but Pacman still holds up as one of the best games ever. 

But Super Bomberman, Mario World, Super Metroid and Zelda:ALTTP still 100% hold up as all-time classics, because they play great and have fantastic timeless art styles. A lot of other 16-bit era stuff looks shabby by comparison.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30140
    Anyone got any ideas  how to progress in that level in vampire survivor where you get all your weapons taken off you and chased by the angel looking thingies?  Is it one of those ones where you have to be lower level?

Just keep going right and do your best to dodge. It's not easy but it's far from unpossible. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    Anyone got any ideas  how to progress in that level in vampire survivor where you get all your weapons taken off you and chased by the angel looking thingies?  Is it one of those ones where you have to be lower level?

Just keep going right and do your best to dodge. It's not easy but it's far from unpossible. 
    A cool so there is an end and it doesnt just continue until you eventually die?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    There is an end. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2147
    I’m completely obsessed with Anno 1800 now. What an amazing game! Discovering land and building cities has never been so rewarding. Only recommended if you have a lot of time to fill. 
    Thank you - I would like to try that at some point
  • I managed to finish Trial Rising on the Switch, it's a brilliant game for hand held mode, for playing 5 to 10 minutes here and there, to me despite the limitations of using the Switch triggers as the accelerator - though you can set up the right analogue control for this but it's not needed, it is by far the easiest of the Trials series of games.  It's still the best though in my opinion,especially the gold edition with all the DLC.

Started on Immortals Fenyx Rising, the game looks huge, very assassins creed like with the climbing, extremely funny dialogue, an RPG, but one that allows you to saved at any point during game play except during battles and boss fights, based on Greek mythology, and a mash up of it. Seriously brilliant game.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    Just watched an update for the Fallout: London mod.  It's been in development for years and there's no firm release date but they are aiming for this year.

At this point it's looking less like a mod and more like the next chapter in the Fallout series.  I'm probably more excited for this than I am for any other "full" release this year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbit said:
    Just watched an update for the Fallout: London mod.  It's been in development for years and there's no firm release date but they are aiming for this year.

At this point it's looking less like a mod and more like the next chapter in the Fallout series.  I'm probably more excited for this than I am for any other "full" release this year.
    I hope they improve the building mechanics. I was disappointed in them in Fallout 4. I was disappointed in F4 generally though.
  • RedRabbit said:

I hope they improve the building mechanics. I was disappointed in them in Fallout 4. I was disappointed in F4 generally though.
    Peaked at 2 :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbit said:

Peaked at 2 :)

I can never pick whether I prefer 1 or 2.

New Vegas was the closest feeling to those, though. 
    RedRabbit said:

Fallout 4 was my introduction to the series so I've got a bit of a soft spot for it.  However, I do appreciate that a lot of long time fans found the continued move away from the traditional RPG mechanics disappointing.
  • FO3's still my favourite of the lot, even over NV. The story was just superb, and it was also my entry to the franchise so it'll hold a special place for that alone. It's in my top 10 games. :)

I really enjoyed most of the changes to the mechanics in FO4, but I'd rather not have had the settlement building aspects in there (or at least had them as optional) as that got repetitive very quickly imo. I've still not gotten to FO76, but will do at some point this year I'm sure.
  • Yeah the settlement building didnt really gel with me either. The first person interface is jsut a bit crap for doing that kind of thing and if they were going to include it I'd have rather it was a top down or isometric minigame style. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I eventually got into the settlement building a bit. My base was a huge inverted pyramid. I lived at the top; it was a bit of a slog up there. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8085

Thanks to my daughter I play mostly on a Switch these days, though I still have an XBox360 and Xbox One S.

I'm playing Skyward Sword HD at the moment, having completed it a couple of times on the Wii.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    FO3's still my favourite of the lot, even over NV. The story was just superb, and it was also my entry to the franchise so it'll hold a special place for that alone. It's in my top 10 games. :)

I really enjoyed most of the changes to the mechanics in FO4, but I'd rather not have had the settlement building aspects in there (or at least had them as optional) as that got repetitive very quickly imo. I've still not gotten to FO76, but will do at some point this year I'm sure.
    The settlement building is pretty much optional.  Even on my first play through I didn't build anywhere other than Sanctuary.  I always do a bit of farming as it's the easiest way to obtain adhesive for crafting but other than I just build a water pump and a clean bed to sleep/save in (I generally play in survival mode these days).
  • Is anybody else a little disappointed with the loading times on the Switch, both for games on cartridge as well as for digital download games?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom