General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Yes.

Does it slow down gaming or games loading having games installed to the microSD card, and running them from it?  I'm scared to try moving any of the ones I have installed in case I lose save game data transferring a game over, and I haven't set up cloud storage or know how to yet.  Also have you tried using it as an music player, I've read that it's possible with a microSD card.  Would it be better to keep the internal memory empty except for the Nintendo software, and have all the games installed and game saves on the microSD card instead?  Or is it better to keep the microSD card empty, and only use the internal memory, as in can you use the microSD card to boost performance rather than for storage?

I've tried looking through the Nintendo website, Google, and YouTube, and really get any straight yay or nay answers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    edited January 2023
    i still prefer the wii u to switch tbh (i thought the wii u was great personally). i wish you could use the wii u tablet for switch also that would have been fantastic.

i cannot play switch in handheld mode as it feels horrible to play it (just my personal opinion i know plenty love handheld mode and have no issue playing that way).

the wii u tablet is bloody great.

i think the gamecube when released was the most powerful console at the time (may be wrong though?) 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Don't notice any difference, but the games that i like to buy, like the big titles, i buy it on cartridge.  I only get games on the E-shop when they are small games, indy stuff.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    i still prefer the wii u to switch tbh (i thought the wii u was great personally). i wish you could use the wii u tablet for switch also that would have been fantastic.

i cannot play switch in handheld mode as it feels horrible to play it (just my personal opinion i know plenty love handheld mode and have no issue playing that way).

the wii u tablet is bloody great.

i think the gamecube when released was the most powerful console at the time (may be wrong though?) 

I have the same problem and I use these: https://hori.co.uk/split-pad-pro-mega-man-for-nintendo-switch/

Much more comfortable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't notice any difference, but the games that i like to buy, like the big titles, i buy it on cartridge.  I only get games on the E-shop when they are small games, indy stuff.

I'm actually thinking of moving away from cartridge with the Switch, not the PS5 or Xbox, just with the Switch, for me it's a hand held that I play when the girlfriend is watching something I'm not interested in on the telly.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904
    Sporky said:
    So you think the Switch will never need upgrading because it has already reached a level where it can play anything the Nintendo market might want to see on it?

That's not what anyone said. There will, of course, need to be a successor at some point, but I'd not be surprised if it lags the XB and PS by a generation and a half.

I don't think it'd hurt Nintendo to cap resolution at full HD for example - that's a quarter of the pixels to render compared to 4KUHD.
    True.  But it's a fair question.  Graphically things like BOTW, Mario etc are pretty much as good as they need to be.
    But the nature of tech, even the slower movers who focus on a different experience like Nintendo need to keep some movement.  I feel now would be a good time, from my own limited perspective.

There's a massive amount of space between current Switch and the Series X/ PS5 and they in no way need to keep up with those, it never has been there game plan.  Even a quarter to half of the power (which is why I said series S) would be a good starting point.  I shouldn't have said AAA titles.  Just some decent driving games would be good, that would also potentially take some of the growing steam deck market.

I'd be happy with a new Switch that remained full HD, but could manage a constant 60fps, HDR.  Better joycons and a less creaky case.   

• SporkySporky Frets: 30140
    I am not against a 50% more powerful Switch Plus. Or even 100%, which I think would still be behind the Series. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    edited January 2023
    Bear in mind Nintendo also has stats on who plays what (as do all the console makers these days, because everything's connected). I'm guessing a big portion of owners spend 80%+ of their time on Mario Kart, Pokemon or Animal Crossing. So while I'd love an even better looking, even smooth MK experience and a load of other AAAs, there's no urgency to upgrade to make those folks happy.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited February 2023
    So that girl who finished 2 Elden ring together with a controller and DancePad is now using an acoustic guitar, through XLR and software to convert frequency to keys.

and she named her character "Guitarnished" 

oh, and it's Elden Strings!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Now that availability is a lot better with the PS5 and Series X, I’m really tempted to upgrade my Series S.

Has anyone done similar?  Just wondering how much ‘extra’ I would get from that.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30140
    I'm playing Rainbow Billy. It is so effing wholesome. Absolutely lovely. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3096
    edited February 2023

Thought about getting one of these recently.   Literally every old game you can think of…

Only downside is that it‘s from the states, so that means import duty/tax and big problems if it needs to go back….

https://todayztrendz.com/products/retro-king-mini

Anyone else got something similar?

• @RobDavies - the store might be US-based, but I can pretty much guarantee the consoles are drop-shipped directly from China. Have a look on AliExpress, there’s a million of them on there.
  • So that girl who finished 2 Elden ring together with a controller and DancePad is now using an acoustic guitar, through XLR and soft to convert frequency to keys.

and she named her character "Guitarnished"  =)

This is amazing. 
  • CHrisP86 said:
    Now that availability is a lot better with the PS5 and Series X, I’m really tempted to upgrade my Series S.
    It depends a lot on how good your TV is. My 13yo has an S and recently got a 1080p 120Hz VRR HDR monitor (for only around £150) and the console looks fab on it.

Meanwhile I've got a 55" LG C2 OLED and I do get the benefit of the Series X there. It depends how much you value things like ray tracing though. The extra storage is a fantastic thing too. The upgrade to an X is perhaps a better use of money than buying a storage expansion. 

I love my Series X, but the Series S seems to me the best bargain in console gaming ever. 

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    edited February 2023
    CHrisP86 said:
    It depends a lot on how good your TV is. My 13yo has an S and recently got a 1080p 120Hz VRR HDR monitor (for only around £150) and the console looks fab on it.

Meanwhile I've got a 55" LG C2 OLED and I do get the benefit of the Series X there. It depends how much you value things like ray tracing though. The extra storage is a fantastic thing too. The upgrade to an X is perhaps a better use of money than buying a storage expansion. 

I love my Series X, but the Series S seems to me the best bargain in console gaming ever. 
    Yea it is a great bargain, it's just the digital only thing that for me, would mean I'd be largely keeping games I never played anymore that I would've sold. So in the end I'd probably have lost money by having the Series S. If there was much worth buying, that wasn't on Gamepass that is. 
    edited February 2023
    So that girl who finished 2 Elden ring together with a controller and DancePad is now using an acoustic guitar, through XLR and soft to convert frequency to keys.

and she named her character "Guitarnished" 

This is amazing. 
    What’s even more amazing is she opted for chords and not picking.

she also, due to software limitations, cannot do 2 button press at once so she won’t be able to use ashes or summons.  Not that she use them on her dance pad run anyway.

On top of that, there is no way to control the camera.  She can in forward, backwards left right.  It’s quite a challenge just to like the character up to open a chest.

on top of that, to go forward, since she can’t hold down forward, she sets a frequency to go forward and then define 3 seconds or 5 seconds. In order not having to constantly hitting a chord repeatedly.  So she has to adjust the timing base on where she is.

and it’s also only about 80% accurate. 1/5 times it doesn’t read the input correctly and the lag is far too unpredictable… so really hard to learn the timing.

even with all that, she’s past Margit and now at Goldrick.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    @Grumpyrocker @TeleMaster Thanks.

The Series S is brilliant and I mostly got that in the first place because I wanted to work through the game pass back catalogue and game had a great trade in deal on. I dug out an old PS4 and with the trade in think I only paid £100 for the S.

I’ve got an OLED so all good on that front.

Good point on the storage as that does feel quite limiting sometimes.
  • Tried vampire survivor, seems okay to burn time while chilling. Not yet beaten an end of level boss, I thought I was going to, but a second one came along. I also had a weird experience where a level stopped then took me to another one without any experience, where I just kept going through a hallway until I was killed.

Seems there is a lot to unlock still! 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    I got nowhere near a boss. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong in that game.