General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3096
    @RobDavies - the store might be US-based, but I can pretty much guarantee the consoles are drop-shipped directly from China. Have a look on AliExpress, there’s a million of them on there.
    You’re spot on.  Only downside is that none of the efforts on Aliexpress or Wish mention old ZX Spectrum games.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4713
    I got nowhere near a boss. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong in that game. 
    @TeleMaster - most of the levels don't really have a boss, as such. The goal is to survive the level for 30 minutes. There's a tipping-point where you discover 1) the right combination of weapons, and 2) the evolved weapons. I won't spoil 2) as it's quite a bit of fun when you first start getting them but if you want some pointers let me know.

Once you hit that tipping point, your character gets very powerful and the screen turns into a destruction fest.

The Attractorb is super-useful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randella said:
    @TeleMaster - most of the levels don't really have a boss, as such. The goal is to survive the level for 30 minutes. There's a tipping-point where you discover 1) the right combination of weapons, and 2) the evolved weapons. I won't spoil 2) as it's quite a bit of fun when you first start getting them but if you want some pointers let me know.

Once you hit that tipping point, your character gets very powerful and the screen turns into a destruction fest.

One thing i havent figured out is how you influence which evolved weapon you get.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3813
    edited February 2023
    Back on my 4th or 5th run though Skyrim on PS4.. no mods. Just the expansions and prettier gfx, grinding the skills at the moment.

Such a good game. Others have got close, like Witcher, but I keep coming back to northern Tamriel.

Gave up on God Of War.. might try it again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30140
    I did a no-dragons run, dressed as a chef, and only using the toy sword and toy bow (both eventually enchanted to one-hit-kill almost anything). Funner and less gruelling than it probably sounds. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    I did a no-dragons run, dressed as a chef, and only using the toy sword and toy bow (both eventually enchanted to one-hit-kill almost anything). Funner and less gruelling than it probably sounds. 
    Ooohhh..  i did forget to change from my miner clothes and managed to kick some dragon ass with a pick after an unprepped fast travel.

Enchanting a toy sword might be right up my street though.
    I giggled like a child for a lot of that play.

Not setting off the dragons completely transforms the game. Just don't collect the dragonstone thing. 
  • Sporky said:
    Toy sword and toy bow, are we still talking about Skyrim?? 
  • randella said:

One thing i havent figured out is how you influence which evolved weapon you get.

Always the same combos. 

So you can't defeat the end nasty that quickly kills you? I managed to do loads of damage to it, by freezing it, but eventually a second one came and killed me. Got to over 31 minutes. 

It's a game that totally preys on the chimp neurons we have. Like a slot machine. 
    Sporky said:
    Toy sword and toy bow, are we still talking about Skyrim?? 
    Ayup. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25496
    MW2 update is live.

It's a whopper though - over 55GB.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MW2 update is live.

I'm sick of it now. I had a game earlier on invasion, and the terrain wasn't rendering correctly. Also, the tactical insertion doesn't work at all - it waits a few seconds for the respawn, then it just spawns me wherever (all game modes). 

Instead, I downloaded four games! 

I have tekken 7 (for playing with young brother in law), ff7 (original - for nostalgia), spirit farer and celeste. All work as advertised - something that cannot be said of codmw2. 
    I tried Ghost Recon Wildlands.

It's basically a shit, unfunny version of Just Cause.

0/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What WW2 1st person, PC game would you recommend? There’s so many!

I’m tempted to get Blood Bowl 3, released next week. I played the board game back in the day.
  • Potential can of worms, but has any tried Hogwarts Legacy?

I'm torn - I enjoyed Harry Potter when they came out and have rewatched the films nervous times as my nieces got into it but I don't really know what to make of the supposed bigotry in the game and the comments Rowling has made.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    edited February 2023
    Yea I've got it. It's very Harry Potter lore heavy. What bigotry is there in the game? There's a trans character in the game I haven't met yet, but people feel that this is an insincere token gesture. I don't like her but she's not really involved in the game. But it's hard to seperate her from the whole thing, I agree. 

It's a decent game. Lots of stuff to do, very faithful to what you'd expect from the world. 
  • MW2 update is live.

I'm sick of it now. I had a game earlier on invasion, and the terrain wasn't rendering correctly. Also, the tactical insertion doesn't work at all - it waits a few seconds for the respawn, then it just spawns me wherever (all game modes). 

Instead, I downloaded four games! 

I have tekken 7 (for playing with young brother in law), ff7 (original - for nostalgia), spirit farer and celeste. All work as advertised - something that cannot be said of codmw2. 
    I’ve given up on CoD, though I’m having an absolute blast with (the very different) Sniper Elite 5, the multiplayer’s decent too and reasonably well balanced.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Yea I played a few matches when it came out and realised that it utterly bored me and the format is tired and spent and I haven't played it since. Need to sell it really. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    RedRabbit said:
    Potential can of worms, but has any tried Hogwarts Legacy?

I'm torn - I enjoyed Harry Potter when they came out and have rewatched the films nervous times as my nieces got into it but I don't really know what to make of the supposed bigotry in the game and the comments Rowling has made.
    i'd say that if you're torn, there are more than enough better games out there that you could go to your grave and not regret skipping over the kid's wizard game.

i've gotten back into sekiro and have overtaken my previous save file from when it came out. these fromsoft souls games stop me sleeping, they just electrify my brain in such a weird way.
  • Yea I've got it. It's very Harry Potter lore heavy. What bigotry is there in the game? There's a trans character in the game I haven't met yet, but people feel that this is an insincere token gesture. I don't like her but she's not really involved in the game. But it's hard to seperate her from the whole thing, I agree. 

It's a decent game. Lots of stuff to do, very faithful to what you'd expect from the world. 
    Cheers.

A lot of the backlash has come from the "token" trans character but there are also claims of a lot of anti-Semitism.  I'm not sure on the detail of the latter as it's tidied in to the main story and I've been trying to avoid spoilers at the same time.

The problem I've had is finding an unbiased review.  Those that I've read are either written by someone with an agenda (possibly rightfully so) or those that are completely ignoring the controversy.

I'll probably wait until the dust has settled a bit.