General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Wahay! A good way to end the day.

just in time! A scrappy deck - anger + inflame early game into 2 cost attacks + necronomicon mid-game with winged boots for elite hunting, and end game success from feel no pain + corruption. Calipers was a clutch drop from the spire shield and spear - I forgot to drink the pot, so the first round with heart was pretty hairy as I was vulnerable. Held that pot for the heart fight from act 2!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Bought an Anbernic RG35XX for the upcoming 15hr flight. More comfortable than the Miyoo Mini, and I prefer the colour balance on the screen.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    screen on the left looks loads better! very nice
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    I play ascension 20, and strictly go for heart kills. My success rate is best on watcher, but overall my win percent across a few hundred runs is about 1 percent, maybe less. 

That feels balanced to me - I love it so much. 

I watch Jorbs and Baalorlord play it sometimes, and they're absolutely incredible. They play with such consistency and build really creative decks. I struggle when I don't get the obvious strong stuff (wraith form, nightmare and poison on silent, mummified hand power spam defect, infinite watcher) but I always feel like I'm improving. 

I nearly beat the heart the other day with a really fun silent deck, built around drawing and discarding, with low cost attacks for damage and tough bandages for block. Didn't quite get there, I couldn't scale my damage up enough. 

On the other hand I annihilated the heart a few days back with a corruption, feel no pain barricade deck with iron clad. End of turn one, I had just 6 cards left and 999 block. Easy enough to pilot that deck blindfolded, ascension 20 or not.

Such a cool game! 
    I do intend to do the heart kills and I have beaten it before.  I started off thinking I'd go for heart kills but after a couple of times completing act 3 but failing to kill the heart I decided to keep progressing without and I'll go back and try with heart kills later.

My first heart kill was as Ironclad with huge block and a handful of upgraded bodyslams.   Latest failure was also Ironclad but with a rapture build (rapture + combust + bloodletting etc).  Absolutely annihilated everything up to the heart but just didn't have enough block to deal with the hearts big hits.

It's Baalorlord who was doing the tutorial on the speedrun achievement.  His video on completing the game with a 5 card deck is fascinating as well.  I must admit that sometimes I find him dithering too much on what seem to be very obvious plays and if I'm in the wrong mood it can start to wind me up.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited March 2023
    RedRabbit said:
    I play ascension 20, and strictly go for heart kills. My success rate is best on watcher, but overall my win percent across a few hundred runs is about 1 percent, maybe less. 

That feels balanced to me - I love it so much. 

I watch Jorbs and Baalorlord play it sometimes, and they're absolutely incredible. They play with such consistency and build really creative decks. I struggle when I don't get the obvious strong stuff (wraith form, nightmare and poison on silent, mummified hand power spam defect, infinite watcher) but I always feel like I'm improving. 

I nearly beat the heart the other day with a really fun silent deck, built around drawing and discarding, with low cost attacks for damage and tough bandages for block. Didn't quite get there, I couldn't scale my damage up enough. 

On the other hand I annihilated the heart a few days back with a corruption, feel no pain barricade deck with iron clad. End of turn one, I had just 6 cards left and 999 block. Easy enough to pilot that deck blindfolded, ascension 20 or not.

Such a cool game! 
    I do intend to do the heart kills and I have beaten it before.  I started off thinking I'd go for heart kills but after a couple of times completing act 3 but failing to kill the heart I decided to keep progressing without and I'll go back and try with heart kills later.

My first heart kill was as Ironclad with huge block and a handful of upgraded bodyslams.   Latest failure was also Ironclad but with a rapture build (rapture + combust + bloodletting etc).  Absolutely annihilated everything up to the heart but just didn't have enough block to deal with the hearts big hits.

It's Baalorlord who was doing the tutorial on the speedrun achievement.  His video on completing the game with a 5 card deck is fascinating as well.  I must admit that sometimes I find him dithering too much on what seem to be very obvious plays and if I'm in the wrong mood it can start to wind me up.

I honestly don't think there are any obvious plays. 

A recent example - enemy is attacking for 18. You draw no block, but you do have a block potion. Do you use it? 

The answer is "well, I would save 12 hp, but do I need to save 12 hp? Do I have any relics that would benefit from me losing 12 hp? What floors are coming up and will 12 hp matter? Do I have important upgrades? Are there other actions at the next rest site I would rather take than heal, like toking or lifting? How many fights have I won since I last saw a potion?". 

A year ago, I would have said it was the perfect time to use a block potion as I would be getting max value out of it, but now I approach potions very differently because max value doesn't mean getting 12 block, for example. One of the reasons I beat the heart last night was I stalled the final act 3 boss by an extra couple of turns so that I was intangible on turn 2 of the act 4 elite. That saved me nearly 60 health as the shield went for 21 and the spear went for 4x10. I could only block for 5 because of a bad draw, but instead I used the energy to attack and didn't bother blocking. Had I not done that, as you can see from the scrappy heart fight, I would have lost very fast!

Edit: I find watching some YouTube stuff tricky though, as they are streaming to a live audience and I'm watching a recording. If the chit chat isn't edited out, it can be a bit of a drag! 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Anyone playing Marvel Snap? Best mobile game Obe played in ages but I keep getting my butt kicked.
    Ordered another retro handheld lol. Starting to have a collection of these things.  (went for the red)

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Ordered another retro handheld lol. Starting to have a collection of these things.  (went for the red)

More details pls. 
    https://www.goretroid.com/en-gb/products/retroid-pocket-flip

I'm tempted myself but $160 is a little steep considering I've already got a steam deck.
    RedRabbit said:
    https://www.goretroid.com/en-gb/products/retroid-pocket-flip

I'm tempted myself but $160 is a little steep considering I've already got a steam deck.
    I do too, but its a price of a pedal....how i am justifying it lol

I wish they make a SNES Famicom colour scheme, as opposed to the US purple button.  I found black to be too safe, indigo not a fan, water melon will collect dust inside as it has active cooling and it will annoy me, leaving the Sports Red...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    Watchdogs Legion isn't very good.

The gameplay is OK, but the "plot" is dreadful, and the voice acting is quite exquisitely awful. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    We’ve started The Quarry on couch co-op mode on ps5. Very strange, some of the characters look real, and there’s a close up of 2 eyes that I can’t tell it it’s actual real footage.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    Sporky said:

The gameplay is OK, but the "plot" is dreadful, and the voice acting is quite exquisitely awful. 
    Yes I bought it at launch. I've hardly done any of the story. Just enough to get a few fun things like decent drones.

I've mostly played it to mess around in London. 

• Sporky said:

Agree completely. 

Although I didn't think much of the gameplay either, but it was the best bit... 

Does anyone here play doom? I'm planning on spending a few hours this weekend map making. I have been watching some doom you tubers and the wads they play are absolutely incredible. Highlights are Going Down, Sunlust, Sunder and Arrival (which has a midi on the final map, arrival, that is honestly an incredible piece of music). It's amazing how much art style trumps photorealism in gaming. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    edited March 2023
    Sporky said:

Agree completely. 

Although I didn't think much of the gameplay either, but it was the best bit... 

That's why I went with "OK".

Then I did the new Final Fantasy levels of Power Washer Simulator. Bit fiddly in places, but two were very good. 

Then I tried Wo Long. Not my thing. Another miserable punishment game. Then Road 96, which was one of the most boring games I have ever encountered. 

Currently on Lumbearjack, which is ace. Utterly unchallenging. Slightly reminiscent of Donut County despite being completely different. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    i am currently revisiting okami hd and serious sam hd collection 

both games are fantastic 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Sporky said:

Agree completely. 
    Yea, lots of these open world games are stuck in the past.

Speaking of being stuck in the past, I picked up Metroid Prime Remastered and the Resident Evil 4 remake too, and they're both excellent. The opening village scene in RE4 is intense as you like.. 
    The RE4 remake looks really good.  The whole franchise seems to be in a good place at the moment.  I'm assuming they'll see sense and not remake 5 and 6 and potentially ruin the run they're on.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    RedRabbit said:
    The RE4 remake looks really good.  The whole franchise seems to be in a good place at the moment.  I'm assuming they'll see sense and not remake 5 and 6 and potentially ruin the run they're on.
    I never actually played another one after that. I tried to replay the first remake but it was just too jump scary for me. This one is much more arcade horror with less running around dark mansions with things that are crawling around the ceiling ready to eat you. 
  • This week I played Gran Turismo 7 with a PSVR2 in a full chair, wheel and pedals sim rig.

I was stunned, but oh my word did I feel sick after a lap of brands hatch in a Ford GT.

If I wasn’t travel sick I would have ordered one straight away.

The screen was a bit blurry compared to a high end 120hz 4k tv but the perception of depth was so far beyond anything I’ve experienced in a game before. Hugely impressed. Can’t wait to see what the tech is like in another 3-5 years.