General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    I’ve just discovered a lovely fan update of X-Wing Alliance and Tie Fighter. Unfortunately the only Windows machine I have at this point is an older Surface Go model, but I’m going to see if I can get it running on that as I’d love to play through these again:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/tie-fighter-total-conversion-tftc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    edited May 2023
    Anyone interested in the Asus ROG Ally. Similarly prices to the top of the range Steam Deck with much higher specs.

https://gamerant.com/asus-rog-ally-preview/

Personally, I love the fact that handhelds are back in. 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1656
    Anyone interested in the Asus ROG Ally. Similarly prices to the top of the range Steam Deck with much higher specs.

Looks good, I love my deck
    nero1701 said:

Same. I'm playing Hades but the Asus is much faster, plays all launchers, I clouding Steam without having to mess around in Steam OS as it runs Windows 11, and it's much lighter. You can buy them this week so I might nab one if I can. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1656
    nero1701 said:

Same. I'm playing Hades but the Asus is much faster, plays all launchers, I clouding Steam without having to mess around in Steam OS as it runs Windows 11, and it's much lighter. You can buy them this week so I might nab one if I can. 
    I need to get my moneys worth from the Steam Deck first...I'm going through God of War and the Elden Ring. Absolutely worth it
    nero1701 said:
    nero1701 said:

I need to get my moneys worth from the Steam Deck first...I'm going through God of War and the Elden Ring. Absolutely worth it
    Yea I'd probably sell the Steam Deck if I got this. I don't really use the track pads so whatever is best is all I care about really. 
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    3 days until tears of the kingdom is unlocked (couldn't help myself to preorder the digital version). cannot wait tbh.

god speed link :-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    This arrived today.  Very well made.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That looks nice. What's it preloaded with?
    edited May 2023
    Games? Nothing i think.  It's an Android based device, so it will take longer to set up than my Miyoo Mini, but it also means i can play Xbox Cloud on it too.
    Games? Nothing i think.  It's an Android based device, so it will take longer to set up than my Miyoo Mini, but it also means i can play Xbox Cloud on it too.
    That's so cool! You can't best a proper controller for games. How much was it? 
    edited May 2023
    That's so cool! You can't best a proper controller for games. How much was it? 
    $164  Not cheap, cost of a pedal.  But the spec is good.  It has magnetic sticks so it never has stick drifts, analogue triggers.  Nice screen, wifi.  (There are $10 off vouchers knocking about online)

https://www.goretroid.com/en-gb/products/retroid-pocket-flip

From the review...stay away from the glossy Sports Red version, something about it scratched easily, and also the process of applying the gloss isn't the best at the joints.

The US 16-bit one is probably my joint fav colour if i get another.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader

Very cool. I've been pondering a Miyoo Mini+ for a while. 

I like the look of the Android ones, but they generally don't come with ROMs and are apparently a ball ache to set up which I don't really have time for.

I like the look of the Android ones, but they generally don't come with ROMs and are apparently a ball ache to set up which I don't really have time for.
    The Miyoo mini i got came with roms as was the Anbernic RG35xx.  Both actually work straight out of the box as well.

They look great. Like a DS or Advance or something. I take it they take ROMs etc? 
    tFB Trader

The Miyoo mini i got came with roms as was the Anbernic RG35xx.  Both actually work straight out of the box as well.

Any reason you have both and which do you prefer?

I bought the Miyoo Mini (not the plus) when it first came out.  It was the first easy to set up (Garlic OS), retro handheld, under £50 that run all 16bit games and older easily.  

It was so good i bought a 2nd one for my sister.

This year when the Anbernic came out i got it because it has Onion OS, and i like the slightly larger size.  I find the size on the Anbernic to be more comfortable.

The Retroid Pocket Flip was more an impulse buy, and can play Xbox Cloud on the go.

They look great. Like a DS or Advance or something. I take it they take ROMs etc? 
    Yeah, it has a micr SD card slot, so you can set it up to play ROMs if you want.

Because it is an Android Device, with access to Google Play store, I now have YouTube on it lol, so can watch videos etc and the screen even does the auto rotate thing if I turn it sideways or upside down, like a phone.
    tFB Trader

I bought the Miyoo Mini (not the plus) when it first came out.  It was the first easy to set up (Garlic OS), retro handheld, under £50 that run all 16bit games and older easily.  

It was so good i bought a 2nd one for my sister.

This year when the Anbernic came out i got it because it has Onion OS, and i like the slightly larger size.  I find the size on the Anbernic to be more comfortable.

The Retroid Pocket Flip was more an impulse buy, and can play Xbox Cloud on the go.

Yeah, it has a micr SD card slot, so you can set it up to play ROMs if you want.

Because it is an Android Device, with access to Google Play store, I now have YouTube on it lol, so can watch videos etc and the screen even does the auto rotate thing if I turn it sideways or upside down, like a phone.

You've inspired me, I've just grabbed a Mini+
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

You've inspired me, I've just grabbed a Mini+
    Nice!

The Mini + is nice. Same size as the Anbernic.  Not much difference between them really bar the Miyoo now has wifi so updates can be done much easier (if you put on Garlic OS, which i highly recommend).  The Anbernic has a faster chip but only if you want to run more PS1 games and some N64 games.  The latter requires a lot of set up from what i gather.

I "finished" setting up mine last night, took all evening and very fiddly in places.  Could still polish up some of the interface but it was midnight by the time i finished.  I followed a guide and the guide did a section on hotkeys mapping which I did something wrong and messed up all my buttons! Spent 30mins trying to figure out how why Mario wasn't jumping when i press A lol

In short

Pros
    Nice screen
    Good battery life (5hrs setting up and 50% battery left).
    Comfortable layout, mostly.
    Clamp shell
    Bluetooth and wifi built in

Cons
    Sound is thin and not very loud.  I am at like 80-90% most of the time.
    ABXY could be larger, plenty of space for it.
    L1/R1 might be awkward to use if you have chubby fingers.

Underneath is essentially a little mini tablet, I can go on the internet, watch youtube, have access to Google Play Store.

I've just preordered the Rog Ally. If it is as it seems, I'll probably sell my Steam Deck. Delivery is in 3 weeks!