General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RedRabbit said:
    Started playing final fantasy X again last night.  Slightly dodgy voice acting aside, it's scratching the turn-based RPG itch I've had recently.

What modern turn-based RPGs are there?  I've tried Persona 5.  Didn't really click with it and finally gave up after a save didn't take and lost 2 hours of progress.

Heroes of Might and Magic is a bloody good fantasy based turn-based RPG, played it with mates during the lock downs, IV is bloody brilliant, and dirt cheap, though what ever you do, if you do decide to give it a try, for Christ sake, don't buy it from Good Old Games - they're knowingly selling a broken version of the game just read their forum.
    I have a steam version of one of them that I could never get to run either. I got the early access which worked fine but then the final release jsut crashed on startup. Forget whcih one it was. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    RedRabbit said:
    Started playing final fantasy X again last night.  Slightly dodgy voice acting aside, it's scratching the turn-based RPG itch I've had recently.

What modern turn-based RPGs are there?  I've tried Persona 5.  Didn't really click with it and finally gave up after a save didn't take and lost 2 hours of progress.

Heroes of Might and Magic is a bloody good fantasy based turn-based RPG, played it with mates during the lock downs, IV is bloody brilliant, and dirt cheap, though what ever you do, if you do decide to give it a try, for Christ sake, don't buy it from Good Old Games - they're knowingly selling a broken version of the game just read their forum.

Anyway, will be tacking Atomic Heart tonight.  
    The art style looks great for that game, will be interested to hear what you think of it as I might pick that one up. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • have been playing the new remastered metroid prime game and i have to say it is most excellent (nintendo also did a great mic drop with showing how to release a great remaster and price it at a good price also, kudos to nintendo for that :-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • have been playing the new remastered metroid prime game and i have to say it is most excellent (nintendo also did a great mic drop with showing how to release a great remaster and price it at a good price also, kudos to nintendo for that :-)
    Its great.

i also loved their remake of Zelda Links Awakening…. Absolute perfection.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Yea I really want to play it but I'm just playing too much right now!!! 
  • RedRabbit said:

I don't think ffx has been beaten. Ffx-2 is a very good game, though, underrated - but you need to just accept the goofiness. The gameplay is great, though. 

Ffx is... Stunning. One of very few games I've shed a tear at. The dread I felt as I neared the end of the game... 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    if you don't like persona, maybe SMT is more your thing. i know i much prefer SMT and the turn-based combat is basically the same, just the story and vibes are much less grating.

hard to beat dragon quest for turn-based. apparently the new octopath is better than the first, that had an excellent twist on turn-based fighting.
  • Ooo apparently legend of dragoon is coming to ps4/ps5. I LOVED that game when I was a kid. I'd alternate between that and jade cocoon. I wonder if that is available... 
  • bbill335 said:
    if you don't like persona, maybe SMT is more your thing. i know i much prefer SMT and the turn-based combat is basically the same, just the story and vibes are much less grating.

hard to beat dragon quest for turn-based. apparently the new octopath is better than the first, that had an excellent twist on turn-based fighting.
    Hadn't heard of SMT before - had to google it (I'm assuming it is Shin Megami Tensei?).  Any suggestions as to where to start @bbill335 ?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    if you're on switch just dive into SMT5. on pc, try 3 (my fav) or emulate 4 (originally on 3ds). 

they're quite punishing so feel no shame in knocking the difficulty down to easy!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    I started Deathloop. Rather enjoying it - reminds me a bit of Bioshock, though I think I read that technically it's a Dishonored game. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    The Triangle button on my spare PS5 controller has stopped working. I’ve barely even used the main one let alone the spare! Anyone know if this is common and what to do, or is it just broken?
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    edited March 2023
    Yea,theres loads of issues. I'm on my third PS5 controller.

The white has this weird drift thing, so I just use it for selecting TV shows, films etc. The red got a sticky squad button so my son uses that, and I use the blue one which I recently bought, and the X doesn't feel as normal as it should but its very minor.

The Xbox Series X ones have grinding issues on the left analogue stick so these generation of Co roller, across consoles are shit.
    I am very much enjoying Deathloop. It's clever and intriguing and frustrating when I make mistakes. But you can always redo things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    I really liked Deathloop. A lot of folks were frustrated that there's only one way to kill all the targets in a single loop (as opposed to a Hitman-style sandbox) but I enjoyed every moment.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I thought that was the point! 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    Yea,theres loads of issues. I'm on my third PS5 controller.

The white has this weird drift thing, so I just use it for selecting TV shows, films etc. The red got a sticky squad button so my son uses that, and I use the blue one which I recently bought, and the X doesn't feel as normal as it should but its very minor.

The Xbox Series X ones have grinding issues on the left analogue stick so these generation of Co roller, across consoles are shit.
    Shocking. I was playing WWE 2K22 from PS Plus, and it kept telling me to press triangle to reverse moves. I thought I was missing every single one and I was just bad at games now.
    I finished Deathloop. Brilliant. The sense of it all coming together for the last run, the rush of the afternoon segment as it was the first time I'd done that one, the realisation that I could have been smarter at noon, and then the rather unexpected ending. Ace.

Watchdogs Legion next. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    I've been dragged back into Slay the Spire after watching a tutorial on youtube on how to beat it in under 20 minutes.  It looked like fun so I gave it a go but only managed 35 minutes.  I've given up on the speedrun for now though and I'm just trying to work my way to ascension 20.

I've got a long way to go current ascension levels are
    Ironclad - 6
    The Silent - 7
    The defect - 3 (I've not been playing as the defect for long)
    The watcher - 0 (tried one run as her, didn't really understand her deck so never tried again)

Had a good run at completing Ironclad ascension 6 earlier but made a stupid mistake against Time Eater which resulted in a narrow loss.  I'm not including act 4 in these runs for the time being - the heart fight is tough! 
  • RedRabbit said:
    I've been dragged back into Slay the Spire after watching a tutorial on youtube on how to beat it in under 20 minutes.  It looked like fun so I gave it a go but only managed 35 minutes.  I've given up on the speedrun for now though and I'm just trying to work my way to ascension 20.

I've got a long way to go current ascension levels are
    Ironclad - 6
    The Silent - 7
    The defect - 3 (I've not been playing as the defect for long)
    The watcher - 0 (tried one run as her, didn't really understand her deck so never tried again)

Had a good run at completing Ironclad ascension 6 earlier but made a stupid mistake against Time Eater which resulted in a narrow loss.  I'm not including act 4 in these runs for the time being - the heart fight is tough! 

I play ascension 20, and strictly go for heart kills. My success rate is best on watcher, but overall my win percent across a few hundred runs is about 1 percent, maybe less. 

That feels balanced to me - I love it so much. 

I watch Jorbs and Baalorlord play it sometimes, and they're absolutely incredible. They play with such consistency and build really creative decks. I struggle when I don't get the obvious strong stuff (wraith form, nightmare and poison on silent, mummified hand power spam defect, infinite watcher) but I always feel like I'm improving. 

I nearly beat the heart the other day with a really fun silent deck, built around drawing and discarding, with low cost attacks for damage and tough bandages for block. Didn't quite get there, I couldn't scale my damage up enough. 

On the other hand I annihilated the heart a few days back with a corruption, feel no pain barricade deck with iron clad. End of turn one, I had just 6 cards left and 999 block. Easy enough to pilot that deck blindfolded, ascension 20 or not.

Such a cool game! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom