General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Bear in mind that most reviews will have been written before the game release and the rabid fans of all flavours got their opinions all over it. I'm not aware of any controversy beyond the existing JKR stuff (she's definitely a belligerent dickhead, fwiw), but she's already minted so I can't see how buying or not buying the game is going to make any difference to her life. It's a massive hit and was always going to be. 

I'm quite looking forward to playing it because it looks like a fun game, but I'm not a big HP fan so will wait till it's at least half price. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was a big fan of Laser Squad on the Amiga and I’ve stumbled across a remake that I think I can play turn by turn over email with my friend.

https://www.stellarforces.com/

has anyone as nerdy as me tried this?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bear in mind that most reviews will have been written before the game release and the rabid fans of all flavours got their opinions all over it. I'm not aware of any controversy beyond the existing JKR stuff (she's definitely a belligerent dickhead, fwiw), but she's already minted so I can't see how buying or not buying the game is going to make any difference to her life. It's a massive hit and was always going to be. 

It’s not that it makes a difference to her life, it’s that the commercial success of it will inevitably be spun as supporting her views.

I’d like to play it, it looks really well developed and a lot of fun, but I’d rather not add to those figures. If I do get a go on it it’ll be a borrowed or secondhand copy I guess!
  • Yeah, that's fair. My assumption is the die-hards will all buy it within 3 months and it'll be on PS+ in a year or so
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1914
    I've started playing Rachet and Clank Rift apart ps5 again. This time I'm going through on the hardest level. First time through, when it came out, I just didn't the middle setting which was mostly OK, and challenging but in a fun way. So far, it seems weapon and health upgrades will be essential to do some parts.

Does anyone know of similar games on PS5? Everything seems so serious, or amine these days. Wish they made more like this. I miss games like Sly Raccoon and Jak and Daxter. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 297

TeleMaster said:

...but there are also claims of a lot of anti-Semitism.  I'm not sure on the detail of the latter as it's tidied in to the main story and I've been trying to avoid spoilers at the same time.

I've heard a lot of this and have felt quite confused by it. Her agent is Jewish, the Board of her publishing company is majority Jewish, her agent manages the creative team that oversees the development of anything under the Wizarding World brand including this game. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What WW2 1st person, PC game would you recommend? There’s so many!

I’m tempted to get Blood Bowl 3, released next week. I played the board game back in the day.
    Ive got Blood bowl2 and its a pretty faithful implementation of the board game, however having given that im not sure what more BB3 would bring to the table and I bet BB2 is pretty cheap on steam these days. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • What WW2 1st person, PC game would you recommend? There’s so many!

I’m tempted to get Blood Bowl 3, released next week. I played the board game back in the day.
    Ive got Blood bowl2 and its a pretty faithful implementation of the board game, however having given that im not sure what more BB3 would bring to the table and I bet BB2 is pretty cheap on steam these days. 
    Oh jesus, the addition is microtransactions....so that'll be a hard pass from me:

The game is a fantasy version of American football, played between two teams of up to 16 players, each team fielding up to 11 players at a time. Touchdowns are scored by taking the ball into the opposition's end zone. Players may attempt to injure, maim or kill the opposition in order to make scoring easier by reducing the number of enemy players on the field. The game contains a new feature for the Blood Bowl series in that it introduces a battle pass system called "Blood Pass" which take place over three month long seasons and allow players to unlock cosmetics (such as dice, armour and balls). On completion of the pass a new faction is unlocked to play with. Players can also pay for the Blood Pass at the start of a season to instantly unlock the reward faction and also additional rewards as players progress through the tiers but these cosmetic items do not have any bearing on the actual gameplay.[4][5] An in-game currency called Warpstone, which is earned by playing games or can be bought as a microtransaction, can be used to buy cosmetics. The game is turn based and features strict 2 minute timed turns as well as a time bank of seven and a half minutes which players can use if they need extra time on a particular turn.[6]
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    I tried Monster Hunter Rise last night.

After a day in the office surrounded by chattering ninnies it was all too much to take in. I'll give it another go - it seems a lot smoother and less clunky than previous versions, and I put (iirc) 200 hours into MH3. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Clecko said:

TeleMaster said:

...but there are also claims of a lot of anti-Semitism.  I'm not sure on the detail of the latter as it's tidied in to the main story and I've been trying to avoid spoilers at the same time.

I've heard a lot of this and have felt quite confused by it. Her agent is Jewish, the Board of her publishing company is majority Jewish, her agent manages the creative team that oversees the development of anything under the Wizarding World brand including this game. 
    Just to clarify, I didn't say that. I've been misquoted! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 60hrs into a replay of Mass Effect 2.. still a solid game.  

Does not feel like a PS3 title.. I’m on the PS4 collection.
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 438
    Not got far into the Hogwarts game but first impressions are very positive.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    DoctorX said:
    Not got far into the Hogwarts game but first impressions are very positive.
    Tbh, I don't know what's going on. I looked away for a second and now there's a million menus! 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4713
    Oooh there's a new Minter game. That's the evening sorted then.

https://www.eurogamer.net/akka-arrh-review-llamasoft-returns-with-intrigue-and-delight
  • Sooo mighty doom will apparently be a doom sequel to that is a top down shooter for mobiles. Nice way to honour the legacy ...I mean to he whole thing with Mick Gordon and the weird fantasy lore in doom eternal...just needs micropayments and to lunch John carmack in the balls to complete the insult.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    I tried Forager. Weird. Seemed a bit dull. About two hours in, Lady BMcH piped up with "you know you can buy more islands, right?" FML. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Finished Mass Effect 2 Legendary Edition on PS4… started on ME3

Looks like a bunch of teenage boys designed all the female characters :) 
  • Started playing final fantasy X again last night.  Slightly dodgy voice acting aside, it's scratching the turn-based RPG itch I've had recently.

What modern turn-based RPGs are there?  I've tried Persona 5.  Didn't really click with it and finally gave up after a save didn't take and lost 2 hours of progress.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3450
    edited February 2023
    RedRabbit said:
    Started playing final fantasy X again last night.  Slightly dodgy voice acting aside, it's scratching the turn-based RPG itch I've had recently.

What modern turn-based RPGs are there?  I've tried Persona 5.  Didn't really click with it and finally gave up after a save didn't take and lost 2 hours of progress.

Heroes of Might and Magic is a bloody good fantasy based turn-based RPG, played it with mates during the lock downs, IV is bloody brilliant, and dirt cheap, though what ever you do, if you do decide to give it a try, for Christ sake, don't buy it from Good Old Games - they're knowingly selling a broken version of the game just read their forum.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8480
    RedRabbit said:
    Started playing final fantasy X again last night.  Slightly dodgy voice acting aside, it's scratching the turn-based RPG itch I've had recently.

Heroes of Might and Magic is a bloody good fantasy based turn-based RPG, played it with mates during the lock downs, IV is bloody brilliant, and dirt cheap, though what ever you do, if you do decide to give it a try, for Christ sake, don't buy it from Good Old Games - they're knowingly selling a broken version of the game just read their forum.
    I did all the international sales for Heroes of Might and Magic 1 and 2.  It was massive in Nordics, Eastern Europe, and Russia, took Europe a good while to catch on to how good it was.  Took me a while to get into the game, but once I grasped it, was a fan for life. 

I use to set up short LAN games in the office, and play the Dev and CS teams at lunch and after work.  Great times. 

My personal favourite was Heroes 2. There was on map on an expansion pack, but as huge, mostly water and islands, but there was we one tiny island on it that had a Ghost nest, and you could battle ghosts, and if you won, recruit ghosts. 

The ghost battle was tremendously difficult, you needed a killer army of Paladins and Bone Dragons to beat them. Once you had them, you could quickly decimate all low level creatures and build a huge ghost army, and then take the whole map.  

That was always my favourite, just for the challenge of getting the ghost army. Other than that, yes Heroes IV is the best :)

Anyway, will be tacking Atomic Heart tonight.