General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    Used my nectar points to get Mario Wonder. It's fun but I think I was expecting more from the way people have been talking about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We're really enjoying Maneater, money well spent, we've just got to level 10, maxed out our sonar to the max level 5, and unlocked the electric bite and leveled it up to level 4.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Still playing Witcher 3. Over a year now. It’s quite long but I am trying as many quests & interest points as possible. However I have decided not to play any games of Gwent, compromises have to be made. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2510
    Alan Wake 2 is one of the best games I've played. Superb storyline - highly recommend it!
  • I'm just going through Alan Wake 1 before getting 2 and forgot how good 1 was.
  • I’ve never played Alan Wake but LOVED Control. I should get my shit together :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30130
    I almost liked both. Great setting, didn't enjoy the mechanics - especially Control's ludicrous random difficulty spikes. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I love the way that Remedy have interconnected Control and Alan Wake.... and the various knowing nods to Max Payne in AW2 (they cannot name Max Payne due to Rockstar owning the IP).
    Just picked up a Quest 3 - pretty awesome. Quite a noticeable improvement over the Quest 2 I think.
  • FarleyUK said:
    Just picked up a Quest 3 - pretty awesome. Quite a noticeable improvement over the Quest 2 I think.
    On my Xmas list, I have the Quest 2 and it's become my fave way to game. When I am in VR Parkinsons Disease seems to disappear for a while. 

Quest 2 has improved loads this year since they dropped support for the original Quest. They seem to be using the full potential the Quest 2 has to offer. Defo want a 3 tho.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Just got this to use for my Steam Deck when docked.

Excellent quality, good weight, lovely texture to the touch, with charging station included too.  Hall sensor stick so never drift. Works with Switch and comes with dongle for PS5 and Xbox if needed.  Excellent option as a 2nd controller for everything!

I am VERY impressed.

• Yep, 8BitDo’s stuff is generally very good :)
  • Just got this to use for my Steam Deck when docked.

Excellent quality, good weight, lovely texture to the touch, with charging station included too.  Hall sensor stick so never drift. Works with Switch and comes with dongle for PS5 and Xbox if needed.  Excellent option as a 2nd controller for everything!

I am VERY impressed.

That's what I have on Switch, much prefer it to the Pro Controller.
  • My nephew has just messaged me with a link to one of those emulation boxes with cheap crappy controllers that they sell on wish/temu for around £30.  I'm aware that these are largely garbage but I'm not sure what's out there that's actually decent.

Is there anything decent out there that's not overly expensive (certainly less than £100)?  I doubt he'd be looking to play anything more recent than PS1 or N64.

I've suggested a raspberry pi/batocera build but he doesn't want to spend that much.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    RedRabbit said:
    My nephew has just messaged me with a link to one of those emulation boxes with cheap crappy controllers that they sell on wish/temu for around £30.  I'm aware that these are largely garbage but I'm not sure what's out there that's actually decent.

Is there anything decent out there that's not overly expensive (certainly less than £100)?  I doubt he'd be looking to play anything more recent than PS1 or N64.

I've suggested a raspberry pi/batocera build but he doesn't want to spend that much.

Loads of good stuff here.

Ambernic usually a solid bet or Retrofit.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Right. I'm going to get a Switch. Probably the OLED. 

I have a hankering to play BOTW and the latest one - as well as revisit some of the available N64 games through Nintendo Life. 

My son can also start using it once he's a bit older.

I looked at the Steamdeck instead, but I've never really been into PC gaming, and it'll be a case of picking up and playing as and when I get the time through hectic family life, so probably don't really need something quite so sophisticated. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    joneve said:

I have a hankering to play BOTW and the latest one - as well as revisit some of the available N64 games through Nintendo Life. 

I looked at the Steamdeck instead, but I've never really been into PC gaming, and it'll be a case of picking up and playing as and when I get the time through hectic family life, so probably don't really need something quite so sophisticated. 

If you stick to the steam OS it id pretty pick up and play provided you get the games that are Deck approved with the green tick.  Other games might run but controls might be weird if they were originally mouse and KB.  Some won’t work or have ridiculous resolution on the small screen.  You can always get a refund if they don’t run or don’t like how it runs provided you don’t exceed 2hrs playing time.

if you want Nintendo games though, get a Switch.  I don’t expect (or want to promote) getting ROMS of games, especially ones like Zelda that you don’t own on the deck. It’s just more trouble than getting it to play on the Switch.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    joneve said:

If you stick to the steam OS it id pretty pick up and play provided you get the games that are Deck approved with the green tick.  Other games might run but controls might be weird if they were originally mouse and KB.  Some won’t work or have ridiculous resolution on the small screen.  You can always get a refund if they don’t run or don’t like how it runs provided you don’t exceed 2hrs playing time.

if you want Nintendo games though, get a Switch.  I don’t expect (or want to promote) getting ROMS of games, especially ones like Zelda that you don’t own on the deck. It’s just more trouble than getting it to play on the Switch.
    Yea, it's mostly my Nintendo fix that I want. I still have my PS4 which will mainly be used to (eventually) complete The Last of Us 2 but I don't use it for anything else really (other than Fortnite on occasion, but I can do that on the switch if I wanted). 

I like the idea of being able to get some youth friendly games too once my lad becomes a bit more interested. 
    If anyone is interested, I'm selling my 512GB Steam Deck - it's up in the Misc classifieds.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3445
    edited November 2023
    Well I just purchased the game Man Eater for the PS5, I like the idea of an RPG where you play a tiger shark.
    It’s silly-fun - a little repetitive, but one of the few games I’ve actually played to completion in recent years!

Well, we've just had a game breaking glitch with Maneater, apparently it's pretty common, and easy to avoid, to avoid spoilers it hit us where you have to kill the boss with missiles in The Gulf.

This is an absolutely brilliant game, we're definitely going to play it again, and soon, the game breaking glitch just hit us at a really painful moment so we want a bit of a break from it.  It is simply a brilliant action RPG, so good in fact it's encouraged us to buy a completely open world one where you play as a fox, though after we're completed a Maneater play through first - from what we've seen it's not a long or big game and you progress very fast.  It's just simply brilliant playing a non humanoid character, especially an animal, it's a great concept, that's been executed brilliantly.  Sure some of the missions can be repetitive, though that depends on how you play them, we reached infamy level 5 out of 10 before we finished the first section of the map and opened the second, we could of played those same quests all stealthy and avoided all shark hunters instead of escalating every encounter we had with them instead of course.