General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7290
    RedRabbit said:
    Slay the Spire 2 has been announced!

Early access release next year.

A really interesting element is that they've switched from Unity to Godot engine because of all the Unity nonsense that happened last year. 

If it's a success then I think it will be a really big coup for open source game engines.
    Oh, what happened with unity?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    RedRabbit said:

A really interesting element is that they've switched from Unity to Godot engine because of all the Unity nonsense that happened last year. 

If it's a success then I think it will be a really big coup for open source game engines.
    They wanted to charge devs money per install.

Not like a percentage of sales, but per install.  So if you buy a game, and you install it, formatted your HD and installing it again, the devs will have to pay twice to unity.

This means quickly the devs could be liable for potentially an unlimited amount of costs per game.  This was also going to apply retroactively too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    RedRabbit said:

They wanted to charge devs money per install.

Not like a percentage of sales, but per install.  So if you buy a game, and you install it, formatted your HD and installing it again, the devs will have to pay twice to unity.

This means quickly the devs could be liable for potentially an unlimited amount of costs per game.  This was also going to apply retroactively too.

They rolled back on it in the end and fired the CEO of the company as a result, but the damage is done and quite a few developers have switched to other frameworks (largely Godot) as a result. 

They made such a crazy move because they are losing something like $1B/yr so they have to do something wild to stay afloat. I think a lot of devs are leaving because they seem like they might not be very viable in the long term.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    edited April 16 tFB Trader
    RedRabbit said:
    RedRabbit said:

I think the move to Godot has cast some doubt on what platforms it'll be released on though.  My understanding is that there's no native support for xbox or playstation development in Godot and releasing it on either platform would likely require them to outsource the port to a third party. 

I wouldn't worry about that.

IIRC you can't export to Playstation and Xbox directly because the project is open source so the proprietary XBox and Playstation build system code can't be included in Godot because the licenses are incompatible. There are a couple of commercial companies who offer the porting as a service so I expect they will use one of them, or given that Mega Crit are now a major sponsor of Godot they might just do it themselves.

I feel quite sorry for the Vampire Survivors team as they ported the game from Phaser to Unity for higher performance just before all the craziness happened.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7290
    Wow sounds like a real foot shooting moment for Unity!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28350
    Wow sounds like a real foot shooting moment for Unity!
    Less foot, more face. 

Or possibly crotch. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3013
    I know understand why Age of Empires cost my cousin £120, it's not just one of the games from the franchise that my cousin bought, rather it's the total package of the franchise remastered, so every game from the franchise - that's 4-5 games including the latest one, plus all of the additional content and future content for the latest game in the franchise.  Personally I don;t know if it represents good value for money, Age of Empires 1, remastered and with all the additional content and DLC, what's sold as Age of Empires Deluxe, costs less than £3.50 to buy, part II the Deluxe version is around a tenner, and part III is less than £30.
  • @RaymondLin How’s your FPGBC doing? 

After getting sidetracked I’ve just ordered, decided on boring solid colour, I remember putting a clear shell on my PSP and it being distracting when looking at the screen.

edited April 18
    @RaymondLin How’s your FPGBC doing? 

After getting sidetracked I’ve just ordered, decided on boring solid colour, I remember putting a clear shell on my PSP and it being distracting when looking at the screen.

My on/off switch slider was bent....so when I first turn it on it snapped....Had to RMA it (£18) back to them to get a replacement....waiting for that to come back. 

Be REAL careful about that part, I also found putting in the ribbon cable for the screen SUPER hard....not sure what else was broken if at all because even though I managed to turn it on, with a needle pushing the slider, the screen didn't come on.  I am hoping I didn't break the screen too!
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3287
    edited April 18
    Ah darn @RaymondLin that sucks, I’ve seen on the toob about tricky screen cable and website has this warning so hoping you haven’t done that.
    Don't touch the back of the panel against the pin of the card slot when testing.  This will cause damage to the panel and motherboard. 
    Ah darn @RaymondLin that sucks, I’ve seen on the toob about tricky screen cable and website has this warning so hoping you haven’t done that.
    Don't touch the back of the panel against the pin of the card slot when testing.  This will cause damage to the panel and motherboard. 
    I might order a complete new kit and try again in a month…after I’ve slap myself in the face enough times for being careless lol
    I've started Control again, with aim assist and the "easy" sliders both up one notch. Still challenging, but no longer a miserable grind.  Much improved. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    Sporky said:
    I've started Control again, with aim assist and the "easy" sliders both up one notch. Still challenging, but no longer a miserable grind.  Much improved. 
    I played on full invincible mode. Still had a lot of fun. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    Sporky said:
    Woo! I bloody love it. I'll probably have another go through in the next year or so. 

I'm still on Dishonoured 2 after a week away.

Also looking forward to Fallout 4 again after the TV show. It should be quite spritely once the next gen patch arrives in a few days. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3675
    wibble said:
    I have a PS4 Pro I was handed down by a relative…. But last week all sorts of crashes, reboot rebuild messages, not shutting down properly, etc. I did the usual repairs, reset, etc.. but it looks like hard drive failure?

Worth popping in a cheap 1TB SSD?   

I’ve got access to a PS5 so sorted generally but like the PS4 in a second room and not keen to get a 2nd hand one which may exhibit same issues. 

Definitely worth it, I had a 1TB SSD in mine, made it more responsive for a lot of games. When I sold the PS4 Pro, I put the SSD in an USB caddy to use with my PS5 for external storage of PS4 games.
    I dropped one in… instant fix and a bit faster. 
    Current Emulation handheld collection.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The Alan Wake themed DLC for Control is every bit as dull and frustrating as Alan Wake was. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 announced :)
  • Current Emulation handheld collection.

I've been eyeing up one of those Anbernic jobbies. Which one would you recommend if you could only have one?
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    edited April 21
    Current Emulation handheld collection.

I've been eyeing up one of those Anbernic jobbies. Which one would you recommend if you could only have one?
    I would choose between the RG35xx Plus or the H.  Depending on your preference on either a Gameboy style or Game Gear style layout.  

Personally, I think the H offers better value due to added analogue sticks, it is also thinner too by a good 30%.